Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

• RMweb Premium

Not a huge amount of progress this week due to family stuff going on.  Also, a major hunt for my micro drills slowed things up - I wanted to experiment drilling tiny holes in the bottom of Springfield head lamps so that they would be an easy fit on locos.  I thought they were with my pin chuck drill, turned out I had stored them with my mini drill.  Anyway, I did manage to drill first a 0.5mm hole (too small) then widened it out to 0.7mm in one headlamp, loosing the light jewel in the process but hey ho.  This was duly fitted to the K1 for a stopping passenger train.

So here is the D49 Westmorland and maroon Gresleys arriving on a stopping service, passing the loco depot where the K1 waits...

attachicon.gif20171018_171220rev.jpg

attachicon.gif20171018_171315rev.jpg

...to back down on its train...

attachicon.gif20171018_171431rev.jpg

...and depart.

attachicon.gif20171018_171546rev.jpg

attachicon.gif20171018_171621rev.jpg

attachicon.gif20171018_172019rev.jpg

The second photo of this batch shows the trial stone colour paint on the retaining wall which I have rejected.  All will be replaced with new printed textures in due course.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Two buses on the bridge :scratchhead: Isn't that being a bit greedy :dontknow:

Yours

Clive,

who lives somewhere where we only have a bus on a Wednesday and a Friday.

Hi Brian

Two buses on the bridge :scratchhead: Isn't that being a bit greedy :dontknow:

Yours

Clive,

who lives somewhere where we only have a bus on a Wednesday and a Friday.

Only a temporary measure Clive.  The single decker will go on a road under a bridge on the other side of the layout once the County Council have got round to building the road :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

A bit more work replacing the pink wall panels was carried out this afternoon.

post-1115-0-92359900-1509645588_thumb.jpg

The roofs of the nearest group of cottages are similarly affected by the still developing photo paper and will also be relaced in due course.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

A printed paper overlay? Or would the pink show through?

Paul.

That is what I'll try first Paul but it could be a bit fiddly for my sausage fingers. The other options are to either paint them or totally reconstruct the platforms.

G'Day All.

Could you not overlay the platform sides with brick embossed plastic card.

manna

That's exactly what I was going to say, mama, so much easier to apply Brian.

In my search for realism I have unfortunately made the platform clearances very tight, indeed the front steps on my BR 4MT tank fouled the platform edges when using the crossover - I eased the card structure locally to get round this problem.  I suspect anything thicker than paper will only make matters worse.  Thanks for the suggestion though and your continued interest  guys.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

The retaining wall reconstruction is now complete.  Before...

post-1115-0-64870700-1509813060_thumb.jpg

...and after.

post-1115-0-29337700-1509813120_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-04740400-1509813162_thumb.jpg

I have also removed the incomplete station building which was suffering from the same photo paper problems and had turned pink like the retaining wall.  Pending reconstruction it has been temporarely replaced by a set of Scalescenes structures - see below.

post-1115-0-63624400-1509813557_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-83677600-1509813610_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

The retaining wall reconstruction is now complete.  Before...

attachicon.gif20171101_153328.jpg

...and after.

attachicon.gif20171104_160211.jpg

attachicon.gif20171104_160153.jpg

I have also removed the incomplete station building which was suffering from the same photo paper problems and had turned pink like the retaining wall.  Pending reconstruction it has been temporarely replaced by a set of Scalescenes structures - see below.

attachicon.gif20171104_161234.jpg

attachicon.gif20171104_161301.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

G'Day All

With these views and the backscene, it has a 'Sea Side' look about it, Coal mines by the sea...Na, can't be,

manna

• RMweb Premium

G'Day All

With these views and the backscene, it has a 'Sea Side' look about it, Coal mines by the sea...Na, can't be,

manna

Point of Ayr, North Wales to name but one pit near the sea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Travelling up the County Durham coastline and on for a good stretch of Northumberland, you can’t fail to be reminded that the coalfield came right down to the sea, and in some cases the collieries had workings that went out right under the sea.

G'Day All

manna

Point of Ayr, North Wales to name but one pit near the sea.

Travelling up the County Durham coastline and on for a good stretch of Northumberland, you can’t fail to be reminded that the coalfield came right down to the sea, and in some cases the collieries had workings that went out right under the sea.

Indeed.  The area I'm most acquainted with, Easington Colliery, is right on the Durham North Sea (now "Heritage") coast.  I train spotted Q6s and J27s there in my youth and still have relatives in the village.  The workings of the pit did go far out under the sea in the final days.  In fact the main street in Easington Colliery is called Seaside Lane.

Thanks again for your interest guys.

Regards,

Brian.

An unexpected issue has arisen concerning my rake of Bachmann mineral wagons.  I have now added removable coal loads to all twelve wagons and now none of the colliery shunters can get the rake up the slope over the iron bridge.  So, whilst the shunters can safely collect the "empties" (even when full!) and run down the grade over the iron bridge into the colliery, the Q6 is required to haul the train of "fulls" up the grade - see below.

post-1115-0-17434800-1509901942_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-70162600-1509901983_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-60154600-1509902049_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-95278400-1509902118_thumb.jpg

Of course, the iron bridge was checked by the Civil Engineer who passed it fit to support the mainline Q6 loco :sungum:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

What did you make the coal loads out of- coal topped lead sheet?

On a more serious note there were more than a few collieries who'se puggies were so weak they couldn't manage more than a couple of loaded wagons- and that is on the flat in some cases.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

The workings of the pit did go far out under the sea in the final days.

Seven miles. . as did others.

John

G'day All.

I knew that some of the Durham coal mines did go under the sea, but seven miles is further than I realized, if they'd kept going Denmark wasn't that far away. :O

manna

What did you make the coal loads out of- coal topped lead sheet?

On a more serious note there were more than a few collieries who'se puggies were so weak they couldn't manage more than a couple of loaded wagons- and that is on the flat in some cases.

Les

Hi Les,

The coal loads I have added are just the usual Parkside Dundas plastic ones.  However, four of my wagons were bought second hand on Ebay and were already fitted with coal loads but, in addition, it seems some real coal particles have also been added to these four.  Also, one of these wagons is not the most free running and tends to drag the rake slightly - this is probably the real cause for the inability of the colliery shunters to get the rake up the grade.  I have a spare mineral wagon somewhere which I might swap it over for.  In the meantime, running the Q6 in and out of the colliery branch adds something special operation wise I think.  Hmm, might need to buy another Q6!

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Nice progress..   This is a very well thought out layout :)

Regarding the brick paper- what about heavily weathering the platform sides with some pastel/non aggressive stuff?   They normally get quite dirty from the ones around here...

Thanks for the suggestion Dan.  I've got some pastels in the shed which I bought for weathering and have not used yet.  I'll give that a try.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Les,

The coal loads I have added are just the usual Parkside Dundas plastic ones.  However, four of my wagons were bought second hand on Ebay and were already fitted with coal loads but, in addition, it seems some real coal particles have also been added to these four.  Also, one of these wagons is not the most free running and tends to drag the rake slightly - this is probably the real cause for the inability of the colliery shunters to get the rake up the grade.  I have a spare mineral wagon somewhere which I might swap it over for.  In the meantime, running the Q6 in and out of the colliery branch adds something special operation wise I think.  Hmm, might need to buy another Q6!

Regards,

Brian.

I have just identified the sticky wheels mineral and swapped it over with a spare I had - problem solved, the DJ Models J94 now gets the rake up the slope with relative ease.  I still like the idea of running the Q6s up and down the colliery branch though :sungum:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Evening Brian,

I know this may sound a bit stupid, but with regard to the platform edges have you tried giving them a thick coat of matt varnish such as the aerosol type used for model wargaming figures?

I had a similar issue with some walls which this rectified............. although I also had others which it did not.

Alternatively how about using weathering techniques to dirty up the platform sides as this brickwork would have received more track grime mixed with steam and oil than other structures.

It seems a real shame that the only option might be replacements as I know from experience how demoralising this can be, especially when you have done such a good job so far.

Fingers crossed these options may reduce some of the workload and help get you back on track. 

Bye 'eck its grim up north.........'Dirty Leeds'.

Yours aye,

giz