St. Merryn. P4 North Cornwall Layout

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos, Nick, of an equally top-drawer model. Pity the builders can't be persuaded to be RMWebbers in their own right? We can never have too many Southern layouts set in the far South-West!

It is a shame actually Ian because there is a huge amount that we as modellers could learn. The beauty of St. Merryn is its simplicity, but the more you look the more there is to see. It is just fantastic. I'll have a chat with Brian Pearce next time at DRAG and see if some more information can be written up.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Very nice,great detail. May I ask why St Merryn? I used to live there,my parents still do.

Kind regards Frame.

I think it was just the similar to Barry Norman's logic for Petherick, a station wasn't there, but it was perfectly feasible to have one. St. Merryn is a rather nice name though.

There's at least one RMWeb member who is involved with St Merryn.

I don't think the layout has been featured in the mainstream press, but there have been many articles on it in Scalefour News - intros in #113 and #114, and a series of articles on particular features (buildings mostly) covering most of the issues from #130 to #149.

• RMweb Gold

There we are chaps! I'm sure he would be happy to discuss the layout when he is free.

I don't think the layout has been featured in the mainstream press, but there have been many articles on it in Scalefour News - intros in #113 and #114, and a series of articles on particular features (buildings mostly) covering most of the issues from #130 to #149.

That is very interesting to know Rod, thanks for that I will look on the Society's resources page to get the relevant parts.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I have previously studied the terraced shops at the far end of this layout, and think they are very good models. Is there any chance of some more close up photos? I know I have seen some photos from Mr. Nevard somewhere on the internet.

I'll have a look through my photo collection and see what I have got. smile.gif

That is really nice, surely a candidate for the MRJ.

Don't know how I have missed this one, has it been exhibited widely?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Yeah I believe so, it has been to Wells, Scaleforum and Scalefour North. It is cracking, one of my favourite layouts.

Regards,

Nick

And as there's such interest, I don't think that it would be out of place to mention that there should be a book under the working title "St Merryn - building a finescale model railway" published by the Scalefour Society later this year.

I won't make promises about publication dates and content at this point but on the basis of a meeting over a few beers last night, the production of it is going very well.

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Every time I see, or look at photos of St. Merryn, I have a modelling crisis! I have quite a large collection of ex LSWR locomotives, with other North Cornwall refugees and I would love to build part of that system at some point.

Wadebridge would be the ultimate prize in 00SF!

Kind regards,

Nick.