Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Guest Midland Mole

Yeah, I was just hoping I'd avoided the price rise by pre-ordering with Rails instead :nono:

Still, it's only an extra £4 like you say and if they don't sell out then it's likely there will be reductions in a few months anyway.  As a result of recent price rises that is how I've been keeping things affordable, only pre-ordering when it's a newly tooled locomotive that I fear may sell out quickly like the Peckett or a special commission.  Otherwise, I wait a few months for them to go on sale at a reasonable price.

I would be quite surprised if it sold anywhere near as well as the Peckett. While it is nice, really nice, the Peckett sold itself as a collectors model as well as a practical model. I see the coal tank a bit like the 1F or the E4, lovely tanks but there are still many of them around and at reasonable prices. I'm sure you will be able to find one at a decent price at some point. :)

Alex

• Like 3

I'll bet the little Peckett surprised even Hornby. It is cute, a pet that has probably been put on model jobs it certainly never experienced in real life. I have seen them on a video double heading a ginormous coal train through a mainline station at a 'run-a-bearing' speed with a Peckett at the rear. 

That said, I think the little 'Coal Tank' holds a place in enthusiasts heart and I am sure they will find their way onto many an LMS or LMS/GWR layout. Like the LBSC 'Terriors', the LNWR 1F 0-6-2T's were incredibly small compared with other motive power.

• Like 4

Don't expect manufacturers to absorb ever rising costs, afterall if the company you worked for did that you would be facing a drop in wages or the dole queue.

I agree, but it also means many of us have to buy less models with the prices being what they are.  Still, if you know where to look there are a lot of bargains about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, I was just hoping I'd avoided the price rise by pre-ordering with Rails instead :nono:

Still, it's only an extra £4 like you say and if they don't sell out then it's likely there will be reductions in a few months anyway.  As a result of recent price rises that is how I've been keeping things affordable, only pre-ordering when it's a newly tooled locomotive that I fear may sell out quickly like the Peckett or a special commission.  Otherwise, I wait a few months for them to go on sale at a reasonable price.

Yes same here, I have one on pre-order but it if they become available as a discounted item I will have a few more.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

LMS-liveried 'Coal Tank' review sample has arrived at Model Rail. (CJL) 

I look forward to the review. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

Yes, it is pretty. Never thought I'd say that about an LNWR loco, but its more dainty than I'd expected. Some exceptional bits of detail, too, like the daylight behind the front buffer beam. You can't see it in the photo but where you look straight down, there's a gap between the buffer plank and the front of the cylinders. There's  a representation of inside motion, too, and a very nicely detailed cab, with space for a speaker in the bunker. Review in Model Rail 236. (CJL)

• Like 3

Not sure if anyones commented on it, but odd they put the LMS one with straight sided buffers. All photos I can find of them in LMS days had LNWR tapered buffers. Hoping they eventually make one somewhere between the LNWR and LMS one. Least they now have H spoke wheels, we might see some more LNWR locos.

Not sure if anyones commented on it, but odd they put the LMS one with straight sided buffers. All photos I can find of them in LMS days had LNWR tapered buffers. Hoping they eventually make one somewhere between the LNWR and LMS one. Least they now have H spoke wheels, we might see some more LNWR locos.

As far as I am aware, the Coal Tanks carried three different kinds of buffers in LMS days. The original type, tapered type and LMS parallel type.  So depending on which number the individual wants his loco to carry could entail a change of buffers.

Edited by coachmann

Least they now have H spoke wheels, we might see some more LNWR locos.

Didn't they already have the H spoke wheels for the G2A 0-8-0?

Those wheels were used only on goods locos. The only one they might consider would be the Coal Engine (17" Goods) which, as an 0-6-0 would be the only one likely to sell in quantity.

Wheels aside, other ex LNWR locos that lasted any length of time under BR were the Cauliflowers, Waltford Tanks (based on the Cauliflower) and the 5' 6" Radial Tanks. Personally I would opt for the Cauliflower as a safe mass-produced bet, although I do wonder if the LNWR has now run its course with the Coal Tank.

• Like 1

Wheels aside, other ex LNWR locos that lasted any length of time under BR were the Cauliflowers, Waltford Tanks (based on the Cauliflower) and the 5' 6" Radial Tanks. Personally I would opt for the Cauliflower as a safe mass-produced bet, although I do wonder if the LNWR has now run its course with the Coal Tank.

Would be a shame, but at least there always is LRM to fill in the gaps.