Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Should arrive, today Royal Mail doing next day delivery, what ever next? letters the next day? It amuses my that in the days of the LNWR my grandparents could send home a postcard by noon, arranging the evening meal to be ready when they got in later in the day, and all without the internet to do it instantly.

Got to find a supplier of the 10T LNWR brakevan in kit form, seems LRM do one, but they are not an order on line company, but I will contact them and try an order out for the brake van. An ordinary small LMS generic type will do for now.

Are all the LNWR coaches Arc roof type rather than Bow profile? It makes using the Ratio 4 wheelers as LNWR a bit suspect,as the GWR roof is a bow type.

Stephen

Stephen,

LRM's proprietor does online ordering and payment via PayPay.

Email him through the website advising what you want to purchase. He will then raise a PayPal invoice and, on payment, dispatch the goods. I think you will find that explained on the Introduction page at the bottom of side bar.

LRM carriiages had three roof main profiles through the years. Starting with arc roof, there was then a period with "cove" roofs before finally moving to the high elliptical roofs.The four and six wheeler coaches were, with the exception of some special six wheel stock for the Birmingham area, all arc roof. Clerestory roofs were also used to a lesser degree, mainly on the more luxurious sleeping and dining carriages.

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Carriages/CarShape01.php

Jol

Bertiedog

As Jol says, the Brake Vans are available from LRM etc.,

I had one a few weeks ago, I ordered the kit, did PayPal and received it all within 4 days.
and it's cheaper than any (old D&S) on Ebay.

If extending the LNWR version coal Tank into the LMS period, remember the LNWR lamp brackets were changed for LMS type, but original safety valves and wheel & handle smokebox 'dart' lasted much longer on some locos. Usual advice....Look at photos.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

It makes using the Ratio 4 wheelers as LNWR a bit suspect,as the GWR roof is a bow type.

... to say nothing of the completely different panelling style. I suppose if you were determined to produce LNWR 4-wheelers from ratio kits you could chop up the compartment sides of the Ratio LNWR corridor coaches but that's getting a bit extravagant.

Taxonomically, if one considers the 'domain' of railway equipment, with rolling stock as a 'kingdom', passenger-rated rolling stock as a 'phylum', and wooden-bodied carriages as a 'class', there were three dominant 'orders' in the British Isles:

GWR: four rows of panelling - lower bodyside, waist, upper bodyside (extending the height of the windows) and eves - predominantly with round corners though square corners came and went. By far the dominant style - GWR, Midland, NER, GER, Caledonian, LSWR, MSLR/GCR... I would classify styles without eves panels but with window toplights (GWR toplights, Midland square-panelled clerestories, some later NER and even LNWR carriages) within this order.

LNWR: two rows of panelling - lower and upper bodyside, with the upper panel extending from waist to eves with window cut-outs set into the panels - but doors with droplights typically have waist and eves panels as in the GWR style. As the LNWR was the dominant company in the long-distance passenger market, possibly as many coaches had this style as the GWR style up to the early 20th century but most of these were LNWR. However, this style was also used by the SER/SECR and the Furness, also, I think, the GS&WR - which was in many ways Ireland's counterpart to the LNWR.

GNR: three-layer panelling, the style familiar from Gresley LNER teak coaches. On the GNR this was square-cornered but on the NBR and HR, round cornered.

Continuing the taxonomic approach, 'family' would be the carriages of a particular company or at a particular period of a company, 'species' a consistent style - e.g. Midland Bain round-panelled clerestory carriages, and 'genus' a particular diagram or carriage type, e.g. a Bain round-panelled clerestory third to D473.

...... I suppose if you were determined to produce LNWR 4-wheelers from ratio kits you could chop up the compartment sides of the Ratio LNWR corridor coaches but that's getting a bit extravagant.

Back long ago, you could buy the sides at shows from Ratio, I bought loads (and roofs) and the 50' all thirds, no toilet midway along the side etc., gave me 42', 7 Compt., all 3rd when I chopped off the Toilets.  Shortened the roof too. 

Just for the record this coach is on a Red Rose Radial Chassis, probably not available after 1980.

But I do have some 42' all 3rds on shortened Ratio chassis.   I think LRM do a Radial Chassis?

Basically the wheels at either end are in fact on an internal bearing bogie arrangement with the pivot point being 18mm / 14mm of the 32mm c/c of axles (from inner axle to pivot to outer axle).

You can see I've just shortened the roof at either end, because the rain strips don't come down to the edge correctly.  Re. the edge of the roof, I, and others, widen the roof with an extra 10 thou strip of plastikard, it looks better.

post-6979-0-36472800-1492869003.jpg

I looked at various possibilities for 30' 1" and 32' carriages, even 28', but nothing was an easy conversion.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Did the coal tanks work excursions from the Sirhowy valley to Barry Island?

I agree with Ian's comment about the G2s - I've certainly not ween pictures of Coal Tanks on Barry Island excursions but equally I'm a long way from having seen every photo taken of them in South Wales!

One thing I think you can be reasonably sure of is that they worked into Cardiff on freights prior to the Grouping but that probably ceased by the 1930s when, I believe, a lot of pooling of goods traffic took place in South Wales leading to it being re-routed or worked ina different way

Well the Coal Tank arrived safely, and tested out perfect on running, a trifle stiff at first, very quiet, and smooth starts and stops. On the 4 wheeled coaches, one roof vents are altered and the livery is adjusted, with the company arms, few are going to worry about it.

The Brass kits are very good, but the cost to high for a rake of them. Goods is easier, with the right type of brakevan in tow.

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if they worked from Swansea Paxton Street at any time.I have no recollection of seeing one on the Central Wales line or on exLNW lines in the Swansea area. I'm sure they must have done at some time.

It does say in 'Bashers Gadgets and Mourners' that 'they regularly worked to ... Swansea'.

It does say in 'Bashers Gadgets and Mourners' that 'they regularly worked to ... Swansea'.

So long as the beggars didn't work through York and on to Newcastle I don't have to worry! Nice though they are, it's good not to want something for a change.

I wonder if they worked from Swansea Paxton Street at any time.I have no recollection of seeing one on the Central Wales line or on exLNW lines in the Swansea area. I'm sure they must have done at some time.

A Coal Tank at Penclawdd in 1910.

post-6979-0-22592200-1492889092_thumb.jpg

Now, what worries me is I know I have a full list of LNWR period Loco's allocated to both the MT&A and Swansea area, but can I find it......

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I suppose one of these will find a home here, but not for the above reasons. 

My recollection is of watching Bevleys (or possibly Bevette, but I think it was Bevleys) at a show many years ago, operated by Bev of course. Perfect running, great scenery way ahead of its time, and a Coal Tank doing the business.  The first real fine scale layout I had seen, and it worked too.  Many others seen since have looked as good, but not worked as well.

• Like 1

I think I might prefer the description as '... they regularly worked in the Swansea area...'.

As per the above post, I have an allocation list somewhere, but can't find it at present.

Edited by Penlan

Mr Perks won't be happy!

There wasn't enough space to fit all the photos I took in BRM this month but it did get a big thumbs up in the review so here's some shots to compare little and large.

14.jpg

1054_KWVR_2.jpg

15.jpg

1054_KWVR_1.jpg

• Like 12

I really must stop going out for apperatives in the afternoon, let alone celebrating with friends, and one who was awarded a 'Lifetimes Achievement Award' last night at Truro Cathederal.  

Cider and Champers are not the ideal start for a clear head to look for anorak details of loco allocations on a Saturday evening.    Right down the Legion now for a Funk band... roll on, and eventually, roll home.   :sungum:

Edited by Penlan

Mr Perks won't be happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV2GQyoYQEk

There wasn't enough space to fit all the photos I took in BRM this month but it did get a big thumbs up in the review so here's some shots to compare little and large.

attachicon.gif14.jpg

attachicon.gif1054_KWVR_2.jpg

attachicon.gif15.jpg

attachicon.gif1054_KWVR_1.jpg

Great video footage, just a pity Ms. Agutter wasn't on hand to wriggle out of her red petticoat.*

*I quite often muse to myself at various stages of the week.

just a pity Ms. Agutter wasn't on hand to wriggle out of her red petticoat

Never mind, forget about all this railway nonsense, relax, and watch her on catchup TV in Walkabout!  Takes me back to being about 14 when I first saw it, and the impression it made at the time. Enough about that! Still (after a bucket of water over the head), a cracking film after all that time!

I agree with Ian's comment about the G2s - I've certainly not ween pictures of Coal Tanks on Barry Island excursions but equally I'm a long way from having seen every photo taken of them in South Wales!

One thing I think you can be reasonably sure of is that they worked into Cardiff on freights prior to the Grouping but that probably ceased by the 1930s when, I believe, a lot of pooling of goods traffic took place in South Wales leading to it being re-routed or worked ina different way

From the evidence I have they worked passenger into Newport from Tredegar until the mid 50s. They worked freight down the rhymney to Cardiff. The Barry island excursions were solely super Ds. Freight to Newport and Hereford was also super Ds. The coal tanks did haul some northern excursions but only to and from Abergavenny junction where a main line engine took the train on. They were used as pilots at new street in Birmingham I believe.

Don't know about Swansea allocations though have created a partial record of Tredegar and Abergavenny allocations from 1930s monthly newsletters of the RCTS and information shared with me by Harold Walkely who was at Aber shed in the 50s.

Regards.

Hi they worked out of Swansea Victoria to Pontaddulais and Llandebie but went early when more modern types arrived.