Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

My BR version arrived from Kernow yesterday - brilliant service! Runs like a dream on straight track but fails to negotiate any of my code 75 fine scale pointwork and even one older code 100 double slip. Going to have to modify those #@$% pickups - how did this get through all the design, manufacturing and QC stages?

It is a design fault. Manufacturing will produce what the designers stipulate and and QC will check they have produced it to specification.

A better question would be - given how long they take from announcing a new model to releasing it - why Bachmann UK didn't spot it? Of course they may not have seen a finished production model, which brings into question their corporate design and manufacturing strategy. Clearly a product not for for purpose if Martin_R's experience is anything to go by!

My BR version arrived from Kernow yesterday - brilliant service! Runs like a dream on straight track but fails to negotiate any of my code 75 fine scale pointwork and even one older code 100 double slip. Going to have to modify those #@$% pickups - how did this get through all the design, manufacturing and QC stages?

I think they rely on people doing their own repairs and not returning items,which are frankly unfit for purpose. There seems a reluctance in this Country to reject products which are not up to the mark. Remember the reintroduced/improved Type4/Class 40 diesel pickup defects ?

After all, Bachmann are hardly giving them away, even at the discounted price of around £102.

Hornby have their faults, but I know where my money will be going in the future.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a problem here.Maybe the wise course of action is to refer the matter to Bachmann directly for their comments and advice.Not got the first time can I remind forum members that Bachmann do have a history of rectifying mistakes.They did this with the first release A1 in 2001 and again with the new version of the Class 40 diesel....for which course of action they took on extra staff I believe.

I will be buying the model. If there is a fix,I'll fix it.If not,it will be returned.Remember there have been not dissimilar problems with other recent releases ....the Hornby Adams Tank is one example.I had to return that for a replacement.

• RMweb Gold

The review in Model Rail suggests it has problems negotiating set-track points as well.

I won't be buying one.

CJL writes."It works well on test on my Code 75 track and 3ft radius curves,but was less reliable on the Hornby Setrack of the Model Rail test layout,particularly through point work." Later...." does not tolerate poorly laid track or curves sharper than second radius".

Apologies to Dibber 25 for the quote.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I might have a problem with this loco, which I haven't run on my layout yet as I don't have a decoder.

Several of my code 75 Peco points have tighter check rails to get smoother running over the frog.

If the pickups snag check rails, I'm in trouble! :scratchhead:

Keith

Locoholic are you a modeler or a person who plays with toy trains ! A modeler would just identify the problem and make any adjustments required. In a real world everything would be perfect but we don't live in a real world do we.

I think you are missing the point here. Considering the time it takes for these items to reach the shelves there shouldn't be underlying manufacturing/design problems.

I think many will concur that this is not a new problem, pickup defects on the E4, EE type 4 diesel to name but a few.

If some people are willing to accept defects so be it, others however are not.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think they rely on people doing their own repairs and not returning items,which are frankly unfit for purpose. There seems a reluctance in this Country to reject products which are not up to the mark. Remember the reintroduced/improved Type4/Class 40 diesel pickup defects ?

After all, Bachmann are hardly giving them away, even at the discounted price of around £102.

Hornby have their faults, but I know where my money will be going in the future.

The Class 40 is a fine model and a very easy fix. Its also in a different league to the Hornby (ex Lima) alternative. An equivalent detail Hornby diesel will cost considerably more than £102 and will be more fragile. You pays your money...........

Mike,

The £102 discounted price I was referring to was that of the new Coal Tank rather than the 40.

Agreed, the latest 40 is a superb model now that the pickup issue has been dealt with. As for comparing it with the Hornby offering, there is no contest.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

The £102 discounted price I was referring to was that of the new Coal Tank rather than the 40.

Agreed, the latest 40 is a superb model now that the pickup issue has been dealt with. As for comparing it with the Hornby offering, there is no contest.

Agree £102 for an RTR tank that wont negotiate standard track work is strong :)

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann playing to the MIB/Display Cabinet modellers. Catching pickups on check rails and falling off curves isn't a problem to them. Perhaps they should make two chassis, one for those of us who want to run our models and those who just want to sit and gloat at their unrun rarities.

• Like 1

If a RTR loco wont negotiate toy town points and fly across carpets and lino without derailing, that's got to be a first.   :jester:

Coachmann, RTR stands for Ready To Run - not shell out £100 and then have to take loco to bits to correct a design fault that a £100 loco shouldn't have.

Your comments make you sound like a bit of a model railway snob, I'm afraid, and they don't really add anything to the discussion.

• Like 1

Coachmann, RTR stands for Ready To Run - not shell out £100 and then have to take loco to bits to correct a design fault that a £100 loco shouldn't have.

Your comments make you sound like a bit of a model railway snob, I'm afraid, and they don't really add anything to the discussion.

Envy on your part I suspect.

Edited by coachmann

Envy on your part I suspect.

I feel sorry for you, actually, wondering why you feel the need to post comments that denigrate most of the people on this forum who are not expert modellers (& without whom production of RTR models would not be financially viable). Not envious at all.

Now I have to decide whether to buy one of these models, or wait for a second batch, hoping that Bachmann will have sorted out the problem.

Edited by locoholic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now I have to decide whether to buy one of these models, or wait for a second batch, hoping that Bachmann will have sorted out the problem.

I sympathise Locoholic. Having waited for years the loco you want appears to have difficulties negotiating standard point work. And before anyone says this is hearsay I reference the Model Rail comment above by Dibber 25 . If you stand back from it, then surely the answer has to be if it doesn't transverse basic point work then you can't really use it, no matter how well the loco works.

I would wait to see if there is a statement from Bachmann, Andy is close to Bachmann and usually is very good at getting Bachmann to comment on any issues that arise. It maybe there is an easy fix or adjustment for this, but I think I'd want to know before I paid £102 (discounted) for a loco that may not be able to run on your layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I feel sorry for you, actually, wondering why you feel the need to post comments that denigrate most of the people on this forum who are not expert modellers. Not envious at all.

The problem seems to be the way the pickups are arranged on this model. Normally Bachmann seem to have them coming down almost vertically from relatively high up on the chassis, however these are much lower down meaning they have a much shallower angle and to get the length for springiness they end up making contact right at the bottom of the wheel except on the leading drivers which are as normal.

To rectify it would mean a bit of a re-design, as the contact position is partly as a result of fully representing the firebox on this particular loco.

Keith

Edited by melmerby