Modelling trains of Mk1 stock - whats missing?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

So here we have - W1905

post-7138-0-91199000-1455222454_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-57258900-1455222467_thumb.jpg

Roof swapped to gain water tanks

Gresley bogies swapped for BR1s

3ft window replaced with a 4ft from a CK which was languishing in the projects box - thanks to Flood for both the ecouragement to tackle that and also some very useful gen - chassis will become a motorail flat. Window looks a bit rough on the photo, camera cruel as always....

Renumbered with Modelmaster decals - just needs varnish over transfers and weathering. First coach bash - pleased with that, the Bachmann MK1s are certainly easy to work with given their modular construction

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Robert - that's how I have planned things...

Theres a shot in "The Western Since 1948" of a similar rake with a Pullman Parlour second substituting for the RU so that will also be appearing

If there was a Hereford portion them that would be the BSK CK SK on the tail of the train - my understanding is the brake is in that position east of Worcester to cope with the short platforms at locations such as Finstock

In steam days the RU was often next to a BSO on the heavier morning/evening trains - do you know if that continued in diesel days....

Thanks again & kind regards - also thanks for the Yahoo coaching group sign on

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just weathering Mainline RBR - have fitted with Keen systems close couplings modified to take the Roco close couplers and also my Gresley Buffet (OK its a Grisly Botchup I know, but its the best I have at the moment!) which has become W9135E

Been waiting for Bocchy to do some more Blue GUVs for the motorail services, picked one up at Trainwest today

So needs a bit of work...

For starters is going to be renumbered to a WR one, so that ER number has to go along with the NKV designation

post-7138-0-34678700-1460232687_thumb.jpg

And what are those markings at the other end?

post-7138-0-68635500-1460232696_thumb.jpg

They don't seem to appear on vehicles from my era so they go too....out with the model strip!

Phil

PS

And on the subject of the Mainline RBR ...

Bought some replica flush glazing too today - but no 3ft windows in that

Any advice please chaps on an alternative to SE flush glaxing which looks a bit prismatic in an FO I have done

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Will post the two in works at the moment once finished - should be tomorrow

Meanwhile...

Good ol modelstrip...

post-7138-0-54686600-1460235551_thumb.jpg

Leaves a slightly glossier finish - transfers can go straight on there

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Peter/Brian - Many thanks, echos thoughts here but cant find any on line commentary on their usage so have removed them

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Great news Andy

That loco always attracts a lot of attention - including from an Ex Hornsey Driver at GETS who reckoned Brian's excellent sound files were pretty well spot on...

Whose files have you got?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

And just in case you have got it done ...bring her along for a run

Yup back on coaches this morning, just putting transfers on the GUV so she can catch up with the other two - I like to work in small batches

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ok - so its not a MK1 - the only non Mk1 passenger stock on Abbotswood!

Its the Gresley Buffet and yes I know the limitations of this blue grey version - this is the better side....

Wanted to get a good shot today for Andy and the light is going so things aren't completely dry and I am not happy with the roof yet

post-7138-0-84908700-1460311825_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-21697700-1460311834_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-29590300-1460311850_thumb.jpg

So whats been done?

Lifecolour roof dirt acrylic wash on the roof - and frame dirt on the bogies, underframe gear and solebars, excess wiped off with cotton bud except on roof

Dirty black - black with a bit of brown added - enamel wash diluted with white spirit, DO NOT use enamel thinners...wash over entire model including roof down to solebar level

Brake dirt over bogies, underframe gear, solebar and lower body side using weathering powders - Tamiya chestnut with a bit of added black - using microsol method. I really like this - gives total control of colour and gradation.

Buffers also dulled down as bright metal.

Is now W9135E to run in one of WR sets. RB and GUV just need the brake dust, will be finished this evening then its a tail lamp for the GUV

Phil

Brings back many memories of travelling many miles in E9131E as a lad.

That one was in one of the Sheffield district 'excursion' sets, used regularly on what were initially named 'Holiday Preview' trips in the early '70s, later to become Merrymakers. :)

Edit: autocorrect errors.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful David!

Problem for me is what do I spend my time on - and given that passenger trains don't usually stop on Abbotswood passenger stock comes a bit down the list ...and theres a lot of it.

Some passengers certainly wouldn't go amiss but for the rake that W9135E is in as its the railtour rake that would need to be somewhere near full occupancy!

Ouch

Phil

I wasn't meaning to refer to the passengers. Further down the thread there's details of the mods required to alter the dia 167 to the rebuilt version. I'll probably not do these Mod's to my maroon version and just put on brass sides

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes ...

If I am reading that correctly its the one side plus the roof?

Would have required some major retooling by Hornby to get it right and that's a cracking job on yours

Running mine with the opposite side facing the punters will have to suffice for the moment for us! One day a better model may follow....

Many thanks for sharing

Phil

• RMweb Premium

you've probably seen this already, but a nice pic of the kitchen side of E9115E in may 1976 on 53A Models' Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/3852348163/in/album-72157604142594351/

Robertcwp's Flickr also has some good blue/grey shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/albums/72157603653607671/page2

including your W9135E https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5264054255/in/album-72157603653607671/ (and the next 3 pics)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So fed up with watching the footie - time for some modelling

A project in the pipeline for a good while has been to renumber coaches in to cohesive rakes - started with one of the WR rakes, has a Mainline RBR or Bachmann Pullman Parlour 2nd for catering vehicle and swinger - an SK - is already renumbered

Was just about to get the model strip out and remove the running numbers when a thought struck Mr Impatient - what else might work?

Well....now you see them

post-7138-0-44797700-1466538081_thumb.jpg

10 minutes later...now you don't

post-7138-0-61314500-1466537503_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-75868600-1466537510_thumb.jpg

And the magic ingredient?

post-7138-0-44073500-1466537524_thumb.jpg

A smear of olive oil left on for 5 mins then gentle scraping with finger nail or cocktail stick and Robert is your Father's Brother - followed by a wash with detergent dampened kitchen towel

Works a treat

Phil

Phil

Archived