Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby king

B15nac

I think the gap between the bogie and frame looks OK, it is the see through nature of the gap which is potentially going to cause some dismay. As I say my own opinion is that this is an issue if you look at a side elevation ...

The requirement to get what is a large 4-6-0 to reliably traverse the reverse curve of radius 2 points defines what we see. There simply has to be that clearance for the bogie to swing under the frames: put such a model on an R2, and one leading bogie wheel will be seen to be right on the centreline. Since there is symmetry in the bogie swing, that requires a 'through tunnel' of wheel arch for the leading wheelset, and there is no choice in this matter. (Now, I don't think it beyond the wit of man to devise a light blocker, freely pivotted on the bogie centre to prevent light coming through this tunnel: not a feature I can recall seeing on any RTR model. There's an innovation, for OO at least.)

Those of us who are eye-level layout viewers by choice are entirely used to dealing with this on any RTR model of a class of loco with a bogie. By choice of a minimum radius rather larger than set track it is possible to at least put a fixed 'light blocker' in place on the centre line, (sometimes it is possible to properly fill in holes where frames or other solid structure should be present) which prevents light shining through. Very satisfactory when viewing the running loco. But it is then no longer capable of set track radii or anything close.

• RMweb Gold

The double chimney could indicate a future addition. It does look rather like KEII's stumpy funnel

If you get a photo taken fairly broadside on the top of the double chimney is level with the top of the safety valve casing.  I can't find a drawing of a double chimney 'King' but I suspect it is not different in height from the single chimney version where the top of the chimney is level with the top of the safety valve casing and the highest point on the cab roof - 13ft 4.75" above rail level (some folk say 13ft 5").

The problem with scanning from certain preserved locos, especially 6023, is that various things have been cut down to match modern loading gauge to permit mainline operation - thus 6023 has a cut down chimney (13ft 1"), safety valve and cab roof - the latter with a very different profile and arrangement from final BR condition.  I don't think 6000's chimney was reduced in height for mainline operation in preservation days and it is reportedly in original condition according to some 'net sources. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would have been nice if the point could have been expressed with better grace.I think.Good manners come with no extra cost,do they ?

Personally I felt my tone was in keeping with the comment made about my original post but apologies to anyone who feels it lacks grace.

Personally I felt my tone was in keeping with the comment made about my original post but apologies to anyone who feels it lacks grace.

I'm not intending to speak for Ian but I took Ian's comment as a reference to the first use of 'mate' (which I agree appeared patronising) rather than your reply to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear,Andy is quite correct....I was indeed referring to the member who used that term.Apologies if you saw that as ambiguous.If you look at your response icons you will see that one of them is a "friendly/ supportive" posted by me yesterday.I certainly do not approve of the manner in which you were addressed.Hope this clarifies the matter

• RMweb Gold

Posted. on The Engine Shed this morning asking if they are going to supply genuine etched plate this time and whether it will have decent haluage capacity with good body weight for traction.....and please could we have a demo of its capabilities under a decent load on video. A not unreasonable request,I think. Promising so far but I'd like to see it cope with 8 Bachmann Mark 1's without undue stress. Yes,I know Hornby do Mark 1's but I'm not about to restock with them any time soon. Eyesight could not distinguish anything in the box,sorry. Interesting,though and groundbreaking stuff from Hornby. More,please.

• Like 1

re the "engine shed" video, great that they tested the kings with an H&M 2000 controller, a nod to Hornby's past products. The controllers were mentioned on the Simon says blog a while ago. (and still good kit).

The shot from the tender over the loco was good as well, be interesting to know what camera they used to do that.

Excellent publicity on the part of Hornby imho.

Looks a nice model... even for 6024's cutdown chimney, the Hornby version seems too short. Still Hornby will be correcting it for prodction.

Will be interesting to compare the two competing models...

• 3 weeks later...

I got advised today in Scoonie Hobbies that all the Hornby Kings are now pre-sold and no more orders can be taken from shops.

I don't think there will be many spare when they arrive in the shops and I would suggest a pre-order if you want one.

• RMweb Gold

I got advised today in Scoonie Hobbies that all the Hornby Kings are now pre-sold and no more orders can be taken from shops.

I don't think there will be many spare when they arrive in the shops and I would suggest a pre-order if you want one.

Without wishing to doubt your word that you were told that,how sure can any of us be that the information is correct for every retailer ? I'm sure it is as far as Scoonie Hobbies are concerned as he would most likely have pre-sold his own particular order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It will compare like a Golden Age Models A4 compares to the original triang Class A4. Unfortunately I believe that Hornby have made a serious mistake in just rushing theirs to get it out before the DJM/Hattons King.

• Funny 1

It will compare like a Golden Age Models A4 compares to the original triang Class A4. Unfortunately I believe that Hornby have made a serious mistake in just rushing theirs to get it out before the DJM/Hattons King.

On what basis can you make a judgement such as this without having both models in front of you? I am sure the Hattons King will be excellent, but as there are no finished models of either yet, statements like this are just nonsensical.

Mike Wiltshire

Just posted on this relative quality on the djm thread. I agree that it's too early too judge however would be surprised if the djm model isn't more detailed. Which runs better, tbc

Where Hornby scores is tts. Would bet djm's blue sells

Less well as a consequence (absent KE3 considerations)

• RMweb Premium

On what basis can you make a judgement such as this without having both models in front of you? I am sure the Hattons King will be excellent, but as there are no finished models of either yet, statements like this are just nonsensical.

Mike Wiltshire

Seeing Hornby's Pre-Prod samples and seeing DJM's as yet unfinished, but incredibly detailed, CADs are enough that for me. I would like to point out that this is my own personal opinion. I am not trying to force it on anyone, nor make anyone agree with me. I personally believe that the DJM King will leave Hornby's in the dust. Edited by Hilux5972