Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Premium

The model looks very good and £160 for a newly tooled big steam locomitive is probably typical in the current market. The alternative would be a King along the lines of the Hall. The Hall is a terrific Railroad model and I stand by my opinion that I hope Hornby continue to make those new Railroad models alongside new main range tooling but I'm very happy that the King is main range.

• Like 1

and do bear in mind that royalty doesn't come cheap.

Royalty meaning copywrite licences? If so, I can understand it being an issue with modern rolling stock designs like the Pendolino and class 68, and with modern-era TOC liveries, but a GWR King?

• RMweb Gold

As was BR's

But never quite as bizarre as Hornby's rendering on Rood Ashton Hall.....and I saw every Hall that ran on BR...but never any in that shade of "green",if that's what you want to call it.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to know how this model will justify the price tag of £159.99. I looks no more detailed that their other models retailing at £120

Because they think people will buy it at £159.99 if they didn't it would be priced lower! Isn't the Hattons one around that price?

Duh if I read the header at the top of the page I'd have found out the Hornby model is priced to come in £10 less than Hattons. Surprise surprise. No doubt it's costed to the penny. What cynical.......moi?

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Which one will I buy now, will it be the DJ or the Hornby version. Decisions, decisions ????? :scratchhead:

Just wait for the magazine reviews. Oh wait.....

Because they think people will buy it at £159.99 if they didn't it would be priced ve found out the Hornby model is priced to come in £10 less than Hattons. Surprise surprise. No doubt it's costed to the penny. What cynical.......moi Isn't the Hattons one around that price?

I can't be the only one on this page getting Hattons King banner ads quoting £169.99? And what's wrong with competitive pricing? This is business after all.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just wait for the magazine reviews. Oh wait.....

I can't be the only one on this page getting Hattons King banner ads quoting £169.99? And what's wrong with competitive pricing? This is business after all.

Oh I like competitive pricing. Try explaining that to ,Bachmann with their 15. -20% increases year on year.

It's just like some companies would like you to believe their prices are entirely down to cost and are costed to the penny. Oh we need to increase prices because it costs more for simulated teak or that livery has several tampo passes, whereas the reality as demonstrated by Hornby is they get as much for it as possible, ie £10 less than Hattons

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why is Hornby the villain for only being £10 cheaper than the alternative, you could just as much ask Hattons why their model is £10 more. I don't see that either supplier is ripping us off with this release, current releases of the Hornby Star which includes some design clever compromises are £135 so given the inflationary pressures in China the price for the King seems about where I'd expect it to be.

• RMweb Premium

It looks alright, but I was immediately drawn to the big gap between the bogie and the frame very much in the same vein as previous King offerings, also the wide gap between the loco and tender, i suspect the latter could be reduced but the daylight under the bogie is definitely a concern. I had no intention of buying the Hornby loco and am quite happy to wait and see what the DJM/Hattons offering is like in comparison. Of course the pictures can be deceiving but I am not jumping with joy on basis of that shot, but Dave Jones and Hattons may be!

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Premium

The front bogie issue is one of those things that looks very bad in side elevation but at normal viewing angles is not such a big issue. At least to my eyes. The old Hornby model shows its age in some areas but I have to say that running the model on a layout the clear sky gap between bogie and body is not such a big deal for me.

• RMweb Premium

JBM and jjb1970 if you are happy then who amI to argue, of course from a normal viewing angle usually elevated the bogie would not necessarily be a problem. However if you are already talking about sticking bits of plastic on a £160 model to improve it before it is released then I worry.

• Like 1

It looks alright, but I was immediately drawn to the big gap between the bogie and the frame very much in the same vein as previous King offerings,

I thought this new one actually looked much better than the old one. I can't tell from the pictures where the bogie actually pivots but from the images so far it seems to be far better than the old offering - to my eyes at least.

Listing "Brass axle bearings" as a "special feature" strikes me as curious, but it's nice to know they will be there, rather than the slots in the casting we saw under the design clever manufacturing regime.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Actually,I think 7013 has made a crucial point here.I thought one of the main reasons for new tooling for a King was exactly that....the issue of the front bogie.If that isn't correct to proper scale tolerances,then there's little point in a new model.Talk of plastikard gives me the shudders.No thank you. Both DJM and Hornby must get this matter properly sorted....a no brainer,I'm afraid.Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

.the issue of the front bogie.If that isn't correct to proper scale tolerances,

But how many purchasers have the luxury of scale curves? With rtr/set track, there will always have to be some compromise with bogie clearance. No one appeared to complain at the compromises when Bachmann chopped the top off the Dukedog bogie to make it go around corners.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But how many purchasers have the luxury of scale curves? With rtr/set track, there will always have to be some compromise with bogie clearance. No one appeared to complain at the compromises when Bachmann chopped the top off the Dukedog bogie to make it go around corners.

Mike Wiltshire

Excellent point. Let's then hope that both Hornby and ourselves meet the challenge.

As can be seen in these blown up images below, the bogie is definitely pivoted from the centre.

This was my impression, and as such, is a vast improvement over the old model.

I couldn't be sure whether the center of the bogie had the pivot or some kind of bearing plate. The old design is pivoted near the rear axle and the whole assembly flops and wobbles around with a very visible gap where the pivot is in the real thing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

JBM and jjb1970 if you are happy then who amI to argue, of course from a normal viewing angle usually elevated the bogie would not necessarily be a problem. However if you are already talking about sticking bits of plastic on a £160 model to improve it before it is released then I worry.

Was just a suggestion...No need to get all picky!

Others look at it as a 5 min job. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't whinge either.....It's a model train at the end of the day! I really don't think you shove you nose right upto the bogie 24x7 so much so that that 1-2mm gap breaks your heart...!

• RMweb Gold

Was just a suggestion...No need to get all picky!

Others look at it as a 5 min job. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't whinge either.....It's a model train at the end of the day! I really don't think you shove you nose right upto the bogie 24x7 so much so that that 1-2mm gap breaks your heart...!

And don't overreact to members justly held opinions either.Most of us have a great deal of knowledge and experience gleaned over many years and don't take kindly to an abrupt retort such as this.