Hornby king

B15nac

Cab roof shutters are a BR addition apart from 6014 in semi streamlined form. Buffers are later parallel not tapered, later topfeed pipe along top of fireiron tunnel not hidden as GWR, fixture between boiler and smokebox on firemans side (still not sure what it is). BR style inside cylinder cover with footstep.

Mike Wiltshire

My pic of a c1938 6006  was of the driver's side, vaguely tapered front buffers, no footstep on cylinder cover, no visible lubricator(s), correct top front lamp position, correct steam pipe shape approximately, front sander. Not sure about exact feed pipe angles near splashers, but it looks about right compared to photos.

I presume the new model CADs and EPs will have changeable design/construction for most if not all of these. I wonder if the very early top lamp bracket on top of the smokebox will be on 6000 as per the Star, and get it wrong for later GW era? Not, in my humble opinion, the most important thing. The overall shape, 'feel' or appearance, and front bogie/frame area is more important to me.

Other things I did in the pic were extra rivet detail and finer mouldings around running board, near to Grange quality than existing King, and a fillet added to rear of buffer.

As Stationmaster says, we hope a good standard of detail variation is accommodated.

edit 2 ; my pic can be seen in Lunester Lounge, in the S&C section 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/?p=1597070

Edited by robmcg

I mentioned just a few obvious differences with the current Hornby body. Whoever manufactures a King if they are hoping for true accuracy then date images of both sides will be essential.

Personally it does not worry me as I fully expect to make alterations for my chosen engine. The Kings in greatest use on my trainset are Wills/South East Finecast for one simple reason - being whitemetal they are very heavy and pull the long trains required of them.They have been individually detailed to suit my desired engines.

One I have not got around to yet (apart from streamlined 6014) is 6029 in 1930's King Stephen condition. On returning from its short term allocation to Agecroft, it was fitted with experimental fittings resulting in extra pipework from a point near the safety valve then running horizontal to the cab side. The same fitting appeared on another King (name of which escapes me at the minute). I do not expect DJMBY to produce this and I will make the necessary mods myself.

The two king threads seam to be going along the 'I want an engine accurate to Feb 17th 1952 at 11.00 am' mode. The variations are vast, too many for a manufacturer to cover. If you do have a specific requirement then just be glad you do not have the building process to go through. Enjoy the luxury of several more common variances being available of the shelf and spend an evening changing it.

Mike Wiltshire

Memory is back on line. The second King to appear with the extra pipework was 6021 in 1935. It did not appear on 6029 after this time so could well be a boiler swop. MW

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have been dwelling about the Hornby new announcements and the addition of 6000 in "GWR livery".  

The associated image appears to be in its current condition, but last time I saw it (and current images from NRM) are that it is currently in early BR livery.

I was also informed a year ago that 6000 will be finding its way back to STEAM In Swindon in 2015.

So, if I put 2 and 2 together; and Hornby are on the ball and know something that we don't; does this mean that 6000 will get a repaint into a GWR livery for its move back to Swindon?

If this is the case, then will it be the first time a King has been newly painted in GWR livery since, well, before 1948?

I could be completely wrong on this, and probably am reading far too much as to the accuracy or a giveway on Hornby's webpage (especially as they have its year entered service as 1928 instead of 1927), but it would be splendid to see a King in GWR livery again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been dwelling about the Hornby new announcements and the addition of 6000 in "GWR livery".  

The associated image appears to be in its current condition, but last time I saw it (and current images from NRM) are that it is currently in early BR livery.

I was also informed a year ago that 6000 will be finding its way back to STEAM In Swindon in 2015.

So, if I put 2 and 2 together; and Hornby are on the ball and know something that we don't; does this mean that 6000 will get a repaint into a GWR livery for its move back to Swindon?

If this is the case, then will it be the first time a King has been newly painted in GWR livery since, well, before 1948?

I could be completely wrong on this, and probably am reading far too much as to the accuracy or a giveway on Hornby's webpage (especially as they have its year entered service as 1928 instead of 1927), but it would be splendid to see a King in GWR livery again.

I would be surprised if the NRM were to agree to 6000 being painted in GW livery as it is quite a long way from being in the condition it was in at 31 December 1947 let alone how it was when built. a goodly chunk of it is of BR vintage, the boiler, front end of the frames, inside cylinders while it also has the final pattern double chimney and final version of superheating and cylinder lubrication.  In fact if anything I suspect its only authentic livery for its mechanical condition is with the second BR emblem and not the early one. 

In my view it would not make preservation sense to paint an engine which has some fairly major components less than 60 years old into a livery it could have worn over 66 years ago.  Hornby might well do it on a model but somehow I hope that the NRM don't do it with the real thing.

Edit to correct typo.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 3 weeks later...

First slip for the year. TTS sound King put back to November. Hopefully this is just the sound doing this and not the actual models.

Did Hornby specify it was going to be released before? AFAIK I only remember Hornby saying that the first one will be available in Q3 in 2015. That necessarily mean the TTS one or anyone for that matter. There is 3 so far so it can be any one.

Did Hornby specify it was going to be released before? AFAIK I only remember Hornby saying that the first one will be available in Q3 in 2015. That necessarily mean the TTS one or anyone for that matter. There is 3 so far so it can be any one.

I'm not sure that's a slip either.

According to the Hornby website:

Richard II (with sound) - November 1.

Edward VIII - November 1

James I - November 1

George V - October 1

It's not just the sound version and October 1 is only one day outside of Q3. We shall see whether or not these dates hold. They are absurdly precise but may be useful if they are set to mean 'expected by'. Hornby has changed the dates for the Halls on the website from a precise date to "Q1".

Hopefully the Kings will make it in time for Christmas 2015.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed on the 3d printed sample that the 2 parts of the connecting rods are different. One is straight, the other fish-bellied. I know this is just a very early sample but was wondering if these 2 types were carried by the Kings at one point or another?

I have just noticed on the 3d printed sample that the 2 parts of the connecting rods are different. One is straight, the other fish-bellied. I know this is just a very early sample but was wondering if these 2 types were carried by the Kings at one point or another?

post-7482-0-14527800-1420885801_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I saw this today at Model rail Scotland and I was very impressed, the front looked particularly good and the rest of the detail is up to the standards of the recent K1 and J15 I get the feeling that Hornby are trying hard to get back to the quality we are used to.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've had a scan through the topic and the Hornby site but can't food any reference as to what livery the TTS version will be in, other than BR (early) will this be blue or green?

The GWR and BR (late) versions are easy to fathom colour-wise, but with early crests, kings ran in both colours. I imagine it'll be green as that makes initial production set up a little easier, but with a blue one in the public eye, it would make sense to go that way as well.

Cheers

J

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've had a scan through the topic and the Hornby site but can't food any reference as to what livery the TTS version will be in, other than BR (early) will this be blue or green?

This is frequently an issue with Hornby announcements and is a particular concern with GWR items. If you pre-order at the time of announcement you really don't *know* what you will get.

It's possible they don't know. While they are doing better here in sharing CAD images, livery choices are not well described. Hornby appear to have announced their King earlier than intended based on the Hattons announcement, though they are showing August 2015 for delivery of the TTS version.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a reply from the good people at Hornby, and they have replied as follows...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry, and apologies for the delay in replying to you.

We have double checked this with our Engineering Department, and they have confirmed that this locomotive will be released in the Blue livery.

We hope this answers your query sufficiently.

Kind regards.

That answers my question sufficiently for me to commit damage to my bank account! Looks like I'll have to start saving!

Cheers

J