Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

We've been told they'll arrive tomorrow into the Hornby warehouse - hopefully they'll be with most of us retailers within a week. This means I have lots of work to do! Better get started... 8)

Edited by Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

And the gloss version from Locomotion NRM.It'll be interesting to see what you can "do"with Hornby's vision of green with the mainstream version. Before you contemplate how to proceed ,please bear in mind that W.R.types don't ever admit to dirt on a King.

Wouldn't know anything about that, as I currently have a superb 1.72nd Scale Airfix kit on my workbench

Well, the Hornby versions are imminent, I just received an Email asking me to confirm my Email address and as I have only one thing on pre-order with them, a GWR King, I suspect they already have them.

I cannot decide whether I prefer the GWR version of the BR late version,  oh the dilemmas!

Mostly I am curious as to build quality. I expect it to be the same as the NRM versions which looked excellent to me.

I'm actually feeling a bit like a kid at Xmas...   

:)

• Like 3

I'm excited for next week, gonna be paying for my Locomotion exclusive KGV on Monday, I'll probably be waiting a bit longer for mine to arrive in the mail to to living in America, but it'll be worth it :).

My Drummond 700 arrived in Delaware in 2 days, (DHL) and the S15 was three, (FedEx), not quite as fast as Apple from China, (24 hours), but pretty switched on nevertheless.

My Drummond 700 arrived in Delaware in 2 days, (DHL) and the S15 was three, (FedEx), not quite as fast as Apple from China, (24 hours), but pretty switched on nevertheless.

Reason I said what I said is due to Locomotion Models only shipping via Air Mail to America, Hattons does DHL *most of my purchases have been from them*, I forgot which shops do fedex for their shipping though.

Arrival must be imminent. i pre-ordered a king a few weeks back and they've just taken the payment which is a sign that it'll be here soon

E-mail received:

Sent: 12 November 2015 14:32

Subject: The King Class is now in stock!

We’re delighted to announce the arrival of all four variants of the magnificent 4-6-0 6000 King Class - BR 'King Richard II' (with TTS Sound) , Early BR ‘King George V’, Late BR ‘King Edward VIII' and GWR 'King James I'.

Order today to secure your locomotive  – pre-orders have been very high on all four of these popular locos, and website stock is already limited

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 1

Just picked up  6011 from my local shop - I may save some more pennies and pick up a BR liveried example at some point in the future, particularly once I am able to compare the Hattons/DJM version once that is released (e.g. the Hattons/DJM example of 6024 that I have traveled behind on the main line, is very tempting!) - but for now I am more than happy with a Great (logo) Western liveried green example. All versions had been delivered today and in good quantities for a change! (Also new-in were the Bachmann Auto coaches - an expensive trip!).

So far I have to say that I am very very pleased with it. 'Ice-cube' plastic packaging was very tight in the cardboard outer packaging but that is the only complaint so far and a minor one at that! The model itself is superb. I don't profess to be an expert in the slightest but to my semi-trained eye it looks like a King should do! The fall plate will need tweaking to lower the angle (as is common on most Hornby tender locos it seems) but other than that the finish, the detail and the quality are all Hornby at their best to my mind. Mold lines are minimal, the green paint finish is indeed the standard slightly flat 'smoky' shade that some people don't like but personally this doesn't bother me. It will be interesting to see how the shiny Locomotion version compares! The bag of extra bits includes all the usual suspects such as brake rods for loco and tender, vacuum hose and cylinder drain cocks but perhaps the biggest surprise to me, given that I don't remember this being advertised, is a very nice set of METAL printed cab-side number plates! Given the advertised but non-existent Rood Ashton Hall 'etched nameplates' and the very poor plastic ones that came with DoG, these are a very nice addition - maybe I missed something but I don't remember these being mentioned in the run-up to the release of this model and the Hornby website does not mention them.

I have only run 6011 up and down my short test track so far but running qualities seem to be up with other recent Hornby releases. The only tweak I will do in this respect initially, as I often find I need to with Hornby tender locos, is to put a drop of Peco Electro-lube on all the tender copper pickups as when new/dry these often seem to make quite a relatively loud scraping sound that the light-weight empty tender just seems to amplify. Maybe this is just more noticeable on Hornby models because the drive mechanism is often quieter than other manufacturers though?

A couple of photos - I apologise for the poor quality/lighting but this is the best I can do with a mobile phone camera and a combination of LED/fluorescent lighting and no natural light!

Enjoy! (I am!)

post-7266-0-47257600-1447436833_thumb.jpg

post-7266-0-84621900-1447436797_thumb.jpg

post-7266-0-88401800-1447436719_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you leavesontheline for the picture, I agree with your sentiments,  I hope you don't mind that as I wait for my purchases of R3331 and R3332 I couldn't resist tidying-up your phone-camera pic, a little, anyway.

Will remove it if you wish, I grafted it onto a piece of my own track... having changed tone and contrast and a few things also, but not, I hope destroying the essential nature of the original pic.

Thanks again

post-7929-0-16160000-1447453409_thumb.jpg

or

post-7929-0-59314400-1447453443_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

I expect this is the same silver paint treatment that was first used recently on Lode Star.

Correct, it is just silver paint, but it has to be said very neatly applied. Similar to Lode Star and Caerphilly Castle.

Can you share the factory code with us?

Yes, I forgot to mention that - one I have not seen before - SEN59.

Er.....has it ?

Personally, I believe it is the same green they have used on all recent releases such as the Castles, Halls etc. I have yet to put them alongside each other in natural light though. May do that tomorrow although looking at the forecast there won't be a huge amount of 'natural light'!

Thank you leavesontheline for the picture, I agree with your sentiments,  I hope you don't mind that as I wait for my purchases of R3331 and R3332 I couldn't resist tidying-up your phone-camera pic, a little, anyway.

Will remove it if you wish, I grafted it onto a piece of my own track... having changed tone and contrast and a few things also, but not, I hope destroying the essential nature of the original pic.

No worries! I may try to get some better photos tomorrow and maybe some images of the cab interior.

On the other hand, I am sure that over the next few days, forum members will be posting much better quality images than mine and on proper layouts!

The photo of the GWR variant on the Hornby website show a superheater housing on the fireman's side of the smokebox as well as the (correct) driver's side.

Surely not? 

Is it nit-picking? The TTS blue version has a superheater housing on the fireman's side too. It shouldn't have one, look at any photos of the prototypes.. The late-BR R3332 version correctly does not have housing on the l/h side..

Shades of the ashpan levers on the wrong side on a recent A3...

I am not sure if the early-version extra (and wrong) housing can be easily removed. Once noticed it is hard not to see the thing! (and I don't mind the Hornby green either).

Why has nobody seen this before me?  I have to say that anyone with a modest knowledge of steam engines would know that GWR engines had housings on one side only at the rear of the smokebox. (edit; I was wrong! shows I don't have even a modest knowledge ! ) 

post-7929-0-29939500-1447470721_thumb.jpg

and below from Hornby website, but vignette added by me, and slight change in proportions, nothing more. 

post-7929-0-36347200-1447471839_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg