Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

A quick update, after a investigation and dismantle and clean (and a bit of soldering) I was able to get my Select up and running again. Found the hand book and refreshed myself on how to use it. Put King Richard back on the track and switched on the sound (F1) and away she went with her very own soundtrack and me with a silly grin..

• Like 3

You've bought six thousand? You must really like it. :)

Paul

Well, don't think I could of got away with that  :jester: . Would of been able to have ever single name in every signal livery they carried in service a few times over! And still have many to spare!

Has anyone managed to fit a DCC decoder yet? I can't for the life of me get the tender body back on! The two vertical hand rails should fit into two holes on the tender base but I can't seem to persuade them to go back. There is also a very small lip on the front of the tender body, I can't seem to get that to locate into anything in the base. Help!

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone managed to fit a DCC decoder yet? I can't for the life of me get the tender body back on! The two vertical hand rails should fit into two holes on the tender base but I can't seem to persuade them to go back. There is also a very small lip on the front of the tender body, I can't seem to get that to locate into anything in the base. Help!

I've had the tender top of the TTS version and many, many other WR region loco's that are fitted with the same tender. you need to get the front (lug first) of the tender in first and it should go back on. Sometimes it helps to clear those two holes for handrails out with a drill of the appropriate size first.

Thank you, after much swearing (fortunately my cats don't understand English), I managed to get the tender lid back on! The next task was the brake rodding for which some of the holes had to be drilled out. I know we are supposed to be modellers, but such lack of attention to finish is frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I only broke of one lamp iron (that I know of) and that was easy to glue back on.

My King will need a fair bit of running in I think, it's not the best runner out of the box I have ever known. Fortunately it looks the part with the gloss finish from the NRM.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, after much swearing (fortunately my cats don't understand English), I managed to get the tender lid back on! The next task was the brake rodding for which some of the holes had to be drilled out. I know we are supposed to be modellers, but such lack of attention to finish is frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I only broke of one lamp iron (that I know of) and that was easy to glue back on.

My King will need a fair bit of running in I think, it's not the best runner out of the box I have ever known. Fortunately it looks the part with the gloss finish from the NRM.

Indeed it does.It looks as it should look and not as a piece of "bling". Yes it is a fine performer. Is it really just a coat of varnish that's made such a difference to its appearance ? Must ask SK at Warley. Meanwhile as they say sit back and enjoy the ride.

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched a second video of King Richard II on YouTube and the sound really is a horrible rendition. Going slow it was almost a 1 cylinder chuff per revolution of the wheels. Then going at a fair speed it seemed to be only just 2 chuffs per revolution. Can the CV's be adjusted on this?

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched a second video of King Richard II on YouTube and the sound really is a horrible rendition. Going slow it was almost a 1 cylinder chuff per revolution of the wheels. Then going at a fair speed it seemed to be only just 2 chuffs per revolution. Can the CV's be adjusted on this?

To be perfectly honest they sound much better in the flesh (plastic), than they will on any video. Reading the paperwork that comes with them, I think you can adjust most things - personally I'm the wrong person to ask about DCC as I tend to run DC.

I agree that it's horrible. No wonder the Hornby video tried to disguise it with music. I don't think it can be corrected because the chuffs seem to increase in steps rather than smoothly. I've ordered one of the Rails of Sheffield blue Kings with the sound removed. The saving will help towards a decent sound project.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree that it's horrible. No wonder the Hornby video tried to disguise it with music. I don't think it can be corrected because the chuffs seem to increase in steps rather than smoothly. I've ordered one of the Rails of Sheffield blue Kings with the sound removed. The saving will help towards a decent sound project.

Yes I think the Rails sound removed King Richard II will be the one I get. Saves me having to remove it all.

Yes I think the Rails sound removed King Richard II will be the one I get. Saves me having to remove it all.

Good idea on the part of Rails. The speaker has been removed as well, obviously to be installed in dumb green Kings. Can't have everything. I think Hornby's speaker is a decent one and replacing just the decoder is much easier than installing a speaker as well. Another point in Rails' favour: the removal is free.

Hurrah for the NRM. The gloss King looks fantastic. I don't think I would be tempted by the other Hornby green Kings but as far as I can judge from pictures, the blue doesn't look too bad at all.

Cannot the TTS sound program allow the chuff rate be synchronized with driving wheel revolutions?

You've put me on the spot. I can't find the instructions for "Cock o' the North" or "Duke of Gloucester" (must try to be tidier) but I believe that they can't. In any case, I doubt that it would be successful because, as I say, the chuffs seem to increase in steps. Steamers don't notch up!

• RMweb Gold

Good idea on the part of Rails. The speaker has been removed as well, obviously to be installed in dumb green Kings. Can't have everything. I think Hornby's speaker is a decent one and replacing just the decoder is much easier than installing a speaker as well. Another point in Rails' favour: the removal is free.

Hurrah for the NRM. The gloss King looks fantastic. I don't think I would be tempted by the other Hornby green Kings but as far as I can judge from pictures, the blue doesn't look too bad at all.

You may call them dumb green Kings, but IF Hornby listened and changed their "Green" you can bet that there would be an awful lot of people moaning, that their new "green" loco doesn't match the rest of their fleet. 

Look what happened when a certain other manufacturer changed their BR SR coaching stock green...

Weather or varnish the choice is yours, just bare in mind that the smokebox/ running plate/ tender top/ etc, be never that glossy unless it was ex-Works and hadn't been steamed.

Edited by toboldlygo

You may call them dumb green Kings, but IF Hornby listened and changed their "Green" you can bet that there would be an awful lot of people moaning, that their new "green" loco doesn't match the rest of their fleet. 

By "dumb" I meant silent but you're probably right as to moaning. However, lots of people weather and I dare say that fleets didn't match in reality. A newly shopped locomotive would contrast with one clad in old and faded paint, another encrusted with dirt and every combination one can think of.

• RMweb Gold

Being in such matters an (almost) ignoramus,would that mean I would receive a ready to run on DC analogue only model with blanking pin fitted ? I can already hear the collective sharp intake of breath.......Sorry...it's his age you know...does he take sugar ?

• RMweb Gold

Being in such matters an (almost) ignoramus,would that mean I would receive a ready to run on DC analogue only model with blanking pin fitted ? I can already hear the collective sharp intake of breath.......Sorry...it's his age you know...does he take sugar ?

Thought you took the finest Welsh Coal...

• RMweb Gold

By "dumb" I meant silent but you're probably right as to moaning. However, lots of people weather and I dare say that fleets didn't match in reality. A newly shopped locomotive would contrast with one clad in old and faded paint, another encrusted with dirt and every combination one can think of.

But nothing to compare with any of Hornby's main range GWR/ BR green Kings. Sagebrush green is pure 21st century.

Thought you took the finest Welsh Coal...

Intravenously.