Hornby king

B15nac

The adjustable fall plate as with the S15 is a very good thing!

I have ordered a late BR version from Hornby and a just now GWR version from Hereford Models, our currency likely to fall temporarily in the wake of the outrage in Paris while global investors run to safety. (I would have bought both from Hornby but their current delivery is a bit shambolic at times and with 2 orders, both free international delivery, they might have combined them which would incur a very high tax at this end on items over £175 in total)

Very jealous of you people who can just hop on your cafe-racer and go to the best shop and have immediate satisfaction!  :)

• RMweb Gold

ame="The Stationmaster" post="2091367" timestamp="1447590490"]But it would be vey odd indeed if they weren't on the engine![/quote

Joking aside, I presume someone like Fox produces little disks to fix in the appropriate spot?

Fox Transfers do, the pack reference number is FRH 4105.

• RMweb Gold

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an adjustable "fall plate"? thanks

Unlike on previous WR models which had something akin to a ski-jump on through deck cruiser (a Royal Navy Aircraft carrier - HMS Ark Royal, Illustrious, etc). The one on the King is mounted on hinges so it will sit flat on to the front of the tender and in theory move by itself as loco goes round the track on your layout.

Unlike on previous WR models which had something akin to a ski-jump on through deck cruiser (a Royal Navy Aircraft carrier - HMS Ark Royal, Illustrious, etc). The one on the King is mounted on hinges so it will sit flat on to the front of the tender and in theory move by itself as loco goes round the track on your layout.

Hmm i'm not entirely following you... is this the part which fills the gap for the loco crew between the loco and tender?

I don't do steam normally, this is the first steam loco i've ever had when it arrives next week with a bit of luck :)

• RMweb Gold

It's no hardship if the Hornby fallplate comes away as I prefer the etched brass one available from the old Jackson Evans range now available under the Classic Trains of Leamington umbrella.W74 I think cut to size with scissors.

Have Hornby provided a drawbar position that is sufficiently close to scale that the fall plate can actually reach and rest on the tender step? 

So far only Bachmann seem to have really mastered this, with a screw secured adjustable slide and very free acting fall plate on the two more recent steam releases I own (J11, C1) to very fine effect. Hornby's J15 and D16/3 which feature correctly modelled cab floor extensions rather than fall plates (this being the way Stratford did things) needed new drawbars making to space loco and tender to scale distance, such that there was then no chasm for the luckless crew to fall down. It cannot be said enough that a loco and tender ensemble look so much better if the layout curves allow scale spacing, with features like fall plates and cab doors as applicable closing off the gaps between the two vehicles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have Hornby provided a drawbar position that is sufficiently close to scale that the fall plate can actually reach and rest on the tender step? 

So far only Bachmann seem to have really mastered this, with a screw secured adjustable slide and very free acting fall plate on the two more recent steam releases I own (J11, C1) to very fine effect. Hornby's J15 and D16/3 which feature correctly modelled cab floor extensions rather than fall plates (this being the way Stratford did things) needed new drawbars making to space loco and tender to scale distance, such that there was then no chasm for the luckless crew to fall down. It cannot be said enough that a loco and tender ensemble look so much better if the layout curves allow scale spacing, with features like fall plates and cab doors as applicable closing off the gaps between the two vehicles.

Human experimentation? You've got living, breathing OO Scale loco crews  :jester:  :jester:

Joking aside, the fall plate is quite big on the King, so on the closer setting it will adequately sit on the tender front.

post-7000-0-72766500-1447687890_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-07410800-1447687917_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-30001700-1447687939_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That does look pretty darned good.  The only real shortcoming - which DJM/Hattons are addressing it appears - is the daylight above the bogie but that won't be visible from many viewing angles but otherwise apart from the reversing rod looking to be not quite right it's really 'caught' the look of a 'King' in final condition.

• RMweb Gold

That does look pretty darned good.  The only real shortcoming - which DJM/Hattons are addressing it appears - is the daylight above the bogie but that won't be visible from many viewing angles but otherwise apart from the reversing rod looking to be not quite right it's really 'caught' the look of a 'King' in final condition.

The reversing rod, may have been my doing... I inadvertently pulled it off while removing King Edward from the packaging..

It does certainly look like a King and the daylight over the front bogie is a damn sight less than on the previous incarnation of the King.

Human experimentation? You've got living, breathing OO Scale loco crews ?...

No, just an overactive imagination. ;-)

...The only real shortcoming - which DJM/Hattons are addressing it appears - is the daylight above the bogie ...

I await this development with interest; if it's an easily replicated arrangement I may well copy it, in the best tradition of 'a good idea shamelessly stolen from elsewhere'. As it is my pacifics modified with a fixed centre line fin as a light blocker are thereby limited to 30" minimum radius or thereabouts. I just have to remember that such treated locos cannot pay a visit to set track based layouts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My question is, does it run as well as the lovely little J15? If so then I admit to being tempted to get a BR condition King!

Regards,

Rob.

P.S. Good running being important to me.

It runs like a big green powerful loco should - superbly. Very quiet and slow running from very little power on the controller - straight from the box. Haven't yet put anything behind it.

• RMweb Gold

Rails have all versions in stock.....and a couple of "specials".For instance,the blue version with sound chip etc. removed. £139.(Edit) .Though how long will it be before we're disputing the shade of blue......will it be a case of a "true blue" or not as the case may be ? Like the treatment of the single chimney,I must admit.Looks like a Pharaonic plague of Kings atm....they seem to be invading.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

This looks to be a very fine model. I think from normal viewing angles the daylight over the front bogie will not be a problem and there is some lovely detailing. A nice Christmas present for GWR fans, well done Hornby.