Bachmann On30 Shay

Jeff Smith

• RMweb Gold

I get the distinct impression that Bachmann do what everyone else does now - batch produce. To that end, a catalogue tells you very little about availability. The On30 range at Favorite Spot will almost certainly get a big boost some day soon, as they do a couple of times a year with a re-stock.

• RMweb Gold

Worth remebering that Favorite Spot shuts down, or at least goes low key, for the summer months.

They'll be back with a restock and a load of new listings always assuming Bachmann has the stock. All stuff is made in batches, it could never be any other way, but they have thinned the range, are resting some items and are leaving it longer between batches basically so that less stock is held and less capital is tied up in warehouses.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that the next batch will include DCC equipped Shays

Over  the  last  few  years  I  have  purchased  5 or  6  Shays  they  have  all been  DCC on  board.

I believe  that  Kernow Model centre  has  Shays  in  stock  currently  although a bit  pricey.

I have made  purchases in the  past  from USA Ebay  sellers,  but  never been  entirely  happy  with the  items  I received,  Usually  Gear  problems

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann Europe website is wrong - the Shay has only ever been sold as DCC ready ie with a socket but no decoder or as DCC sound fitted. They don't do different US & UK versions.

I suspect that you may be out of luck in getting a Shay at a bargain price in the near future with both the listed ones being out of stock in the USA and with one of them out in the UK it looks to me like all will be waiting on a new production run which if done will come in at the new much higher prices. It may well be that as no dates are given for more stock that they actually don't do another run straight away.  I dont have access to it at the moment but I did have a PDF copy of the catalogue and I can't recall if that still lists the Shay. It may be that they intend to rest it as they have the Climax

Archived