Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lineside Industries

Hi all

Can we make a list of every type of rail-served lineside industry, im sure we can think of some unusual ones. Heres some to get us started:

Coal mine

Power station

Scrap yard

Iron ore mine

Fish docks/harbour

Oil refinery

Lets get a nice list going, it might just be inspiration for some new layouts.

Thanks

Jordan

For the chance to run a lot of SCV's, without needing an enormous space, a steel stockholder and fabricator is a good choice.

The grinding wheel works was interesting as well for the variety of wagons. Hoppers, tankers and opens brought the feedstocks, vans carried most of the finished goods traffic. Makes more movements having to work empties in both directions.

Almost endless possibilities, here are some real ones (mostly from East Anglia - hardly the most industrialised part of the UK).

Cable manufacturer.

Sleeper works.

Brick works.

Iron works.

Slate transfer sidings.

Chemical factory.

Sugar refinery.

Flour mill.

Biscuit makers.

Jam makers.

Other minerals (tin, silver, gold, lead, etc.)

Chocolate/confectionery makers.

Gunpowder/explosives plant.

Sand/ballast (belt/line).

Nuclear siding.

Pipe/tube makers.

Distillery.

Glue factory (don't tell Horsetan!).

Tannery.

Night soil disposal facility.

Glassworks.

Salt mine.

Sawmill.

Textile factory.

Soap manufacturer.

For the chance to run a lot of SCV's, without needing an enormous space, a steel stockholder and fabricator is a good choice.

The grinding wheel works was interesting as well for the variety of wagons. Hoppers, tankers and opens brought the feedstocks, vans carried most of the finished goods traffic. Makes more movements having to work empties in both directions.

I always consider a brewery to be a good rail-served industry to have on a layout, because there are various raw materials to be shipped in and plenty of covered wagons needed for the beer that is sent out. You can make up your own trip workings for local deliveries and have plenty of shunting going on if there is room in the brewery sidings modelled. Plus a relevant backscene can suggest a larger area of buildings behind the 'live' part. 

I presume the brewery 'waste' was utilised in some way - farming? But I have no idea how that was transported - open wagons?

Tile works (bit like a brick works I suppose)

I know cattle were transported live, hence the cattle dock on the classic BLT, and there were also meat vans. Would abattoirs be served by a rail link? Otherwise how did meat get on the vans?

Post / parcels.

Another thread reminds me that Bryant and May had a factory near to Stratford [/true].

Their products were carried in match wagons*...

Broken biscuit repair factory. My previous narrow gauge layout had one!

We used to buy boxes of Peek Freans broken biscuits [/true].  The factory was served by trains worked by diesels of classes 44, 45 and 46*.

(*Don't believe everything you read on RMweb!)

• RMweb Premium

Trains to my broken biscuit repair factory were hauled by a narrow gauge EWS class 68, scratchbuilt long before DRS thought of ordering some. Yes, I'm a serious railway modeller.

Until Kit Kat took them over and closed the factory down? (Have a break...). :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another industry that comes to mind is the dairy industry. Creameries and bottling plants were often rail served. Milk and cream in (in tanks or churns) and finished products out (butter cheese etc.). I remember milk tankers being delivered to a bottling plant as late as the 1980's.

Not sure if you would class it as an industry as such, but....

There was the Whittingham Hospital Branch Line nr Preston, built to serve the new Whittingham Asylum, it convey coal and provisions for the hospital though it was to rank one of the most fascinating and anachronistic Victorian steam railways in the country.

Ian

Edited by 11B

...I know cattle were transported live, hence the cattle dock on the classic BLT, and there were also meat vans. Would abattoirs be served by a rail link? Otherwise how did meat get on the vans?...

Bear in mind that with smaller labour costs in the past, manual transhipment of whole or half carcasses from a road vehicle into a rail vehicle was not such a problem. However, rail borne meat movement was one of the early wins for containerisation (the well known BR standard meat van was a redundant design as a result) and that rather implies to me that either or both the major abbatoirs and wholesale meat markets were not colocated with the railway. Needs some research for anyone interested.

...I presume the brewery 'waste' was utilised in some way - farming? But I have no idea how that was transported - open wagons?

The malt residue went for cattle cake ( I suspect dried in sacks in vans), the spent hops were simply compost and went off as agricultural soil improver, sheeted over opens most likely, and the yeast sludge was what becomes Marmite. Peco never offered a Marmite van or tanker, so we can probably rule those out...

• RMweb Premium

A couple of suggestions not mentioned so far.

A crematorium/cemetery.

A Transhipment shed

1/ - like the well known LNWR one, where goods were emptied out & consolidated into a smaller number of wagons, thus saving lots of almost empty wagons traversing the system.

2/ Going back further, a change of gauge version where goods had to transferred to/from the dreaded GWR Broad gauge.