Lineside Industries

• RMweb Premium

Broken biscuit repair factory. My previous narrow gauge layout had one!

Banana sorting shed - throwing out the bent ones!

Reminds me of a packaging factory I came across, where they packed batteries into those blister cards/packets. There was a big drum of packages, where the problem with them was that one or more battery was packed upside down. Not sure if someone sat there & ripped them out again, or they were tossed! But I was told they weren't allowed to be sold like that, as if it makes the slightest difference to the products usage.

Re post 24.

I worked for a cattle food factory in the late 1960's near Burton-on-Trent and we had a plant that pressed out most of the liquid, and then dried, spent hops, which were then put through a mixer which added molasses and various other additives to make a soft cattle feed for ruminants. They were also milled and mixed with grain, mollasses and additives a used to make pelleted cattle food too. The factory was also rail connected, right alongside the Derby- Burton line, but by then I can only recall a couple of railway vans there and these ceased within a few months of my starting work there in late 1967.  

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson

Banana sorting shed - throwing out the bent ones!

There was a banana factory at Warminster, well that's what my Dad said it was. Geest or Fyffes had a facility there. And just down the way was REME, both rail served.

What about a holiday camp ?

• RMweb Premium

There was a banana factory at Warminster, well that's what my Dad said it was. Geest or Fyffes had a facility there. And just down the way was REME, both rail served.

What about a holiday camp ?

Bananas were imported 'green' and had to be ripened, this is why banana vans were steam heated.

As well as the Whittingham Hospital line, there were at least two others, both electrified. One was also in Lancashire (can't remember exactly where) whilst the other was in Sussex. This was the Hellingly railway, as modelled by Phil Parker of BRM fame.

Paper has been mentioned: the Rev Peter Denny had incorporated at least two mills on the various incarnation's of his Buckingham branch, one at Buckingham itself  (in its earlier days) and the other at Leighton Buzzard. He maintained that paper mills (like gasworks, which also appeared on his layouts) received and generated a lot of traffic.

Prototypes: the huge complex at Sittingbourne supplying paper for Fleet Street had both standard and 2'6" gauge lines, part of the latter has been preserved. There were several others which were rail served, at least one of which had its own internal rail system (another Lancashire firm, if I remember correctly), whilst there were several mills near St Albans in Hertfordshire, which provided traffic for the local railways. One produced the Salvation Army's publication, the War Cry: this was (and may still be) printed weekly and and at one time was sold in vast numbers in pubs throughout the UK.

There were also a great many sidings laid to extract timber, particularly during and shortly after WW1, under the auspices of the Board of Trade Timber Supply Department. Many of these were fed by temporary lines, some standard gauge although most were narrow gauge. A few were quite lengthy, notably in Scotland at Aviemore, Dornoch, Forres, Carr Bridge etc. They were often built and operated by the Canadian Forestry Corps.

David C

• RMweb Premium

Malt house,

they weren't always at the site of a brewery

Especially in Scotland where they supplied distilleries.

How about Canal wharves?

Peat cutting?

When the reservoirs in Wales (and elsewhere) were being constructed some were served by rail links.

In Egypt there were extensive narrow gauge lines through the sugar cane plantations, from where the cut cane was eventually transshipped to standard gauge wagons.

Much now done by lorry.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• 3 years later...

Here's my three pennyworth;

Anchor & chain proving house (Cardiff)

Ice factory & cold stores (Cardiff)

Sand wharves (Cardiff)

Tool handle factory (Cardiff)

Wooden box factory (Cardiff)

Cymric Trading Co. Ltd. dealers in plant, locomotives and mining equipment (Waterhall Jct).

Paper Mill, Breweries & Jam Factory (Ely Main Line)

Gelatine manufacturer, P.Leiner (Treforest Trading Estate)- animal bones in open wagons imported via Cardiff Docks

Brian R