Greenpeace stop a coal train with a polar bear in the Retford area

• RMweb Premium
petethemole, on 27 Sept 2014 - 11:08, said:

When JWs at the door start talking about God I ask them which one.

Hmm. If there was a god we wouldn't be over run with peodophile's and good people wouldn't be dying from cancer.

Sorry to go O.T.

• RMweb Premium

This isn't really my field but one key figure to keep an eye on is the RP ratio which is currently in the region of near abouts 50 years for both oil and natural gas. The RP ratio is one of those figures which whilst a good indicator needs to be taken with a healthy dose of salt due to the dynamic nature of the two figures in the ratio, reserves and production (demand). Reserves have increased steadily over the last few decades so whilst demand has also grown the RP ratio has actually risen significantly from those predictions that we should have ran out of oil a long time ago. Which is the trouble with RP, those predictions of running out of oil in the 80's were based on the same calculation which is now indicating about 50 years. And for coal it is something like 170 years. That is before getting into synthesised hydro-carbons. So despite all the doom laden scare stories that we are in imminent danger of running out of oil the real danger to our oil based economy is probably going to be more likely caused by writing down hydro-carbon reserves to reduce carbon emissions rather than running out.

• RMweb Premium

On renewables, it infuriates me that our financial incentive mechanism (or as most would call it, subsidy) does not do a lot more to incentivise energy storage and efficiency rather than just throwing money at anything that has a renewable label on it. The cleanest power plant is one you don't need because you've reduced demand for electricity via efficiency measures. And a lot of electricity could be saved by low cost, rather prosaic measures with little impact on consumers if people really took efficiency to heart. And if we had good energy storage it'd address the fundamental problem caused by the intermittency of many renewable technologies.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of efficiency gains could probably be made fairly easily but energy storage is a much more difficult one to crack, yet is good for most sources (wind is obviously variable but AFAIK nuclear can't easily be throttled up and down to meet demand). Pumped storage schemes are about the only practical large-scale storage scheme anyone's thought of and the amount of suitable locations is limited. There have been various other ideas suggested but I'm not sure if any of them have got further than the "suggestion" stage, although whether that's due to a lack of finance or because they're simply not practical I don't know.

At one time I let my hair and beard grow a bit long, when the Jehovah's came knocking I simply gave them a fanatical stare and said to them 'Allah is the one true god'. They nearly done themselves an injury running away. :jester:

I have a beard and at times my hair does get a bit on the long side.

I am also a keen cyclist and wear rather body parts revealing clothing.

If the Mormons are about I just have to pick up a Whisky bottle before I open the door and they retreat rapidly.

SWMBO finds the JWs fascinating as being brought up in the former GDR, where they were banned, provides a challenge that she cannot resist.

Bernard

At one time I let my hair and beard grow a bit long, when the Jehovah's came knocking I simply gave them a fanatical stare and said to them 'Allah is the one true god'. They nearly done themselves an injury running away. :jester:

Hi Gents, I will come in on this, as a practicing J.W. for 30yrs +. (We give that response so as not to offend, we hear it so many times on our visits). But seriously I have been an active member on this splendid forum,that is very informative and friendly, since 2010 so if you feel that you would  prefer not to have me on I will gladly but reluctantly come off.   This I do not find offensive ether but felt I must say something. 

Gordon W

• RMweb Premium

Gordon, please don't be offended or leave. I ask which god because I personally don't follow just one. When we were together my wife used to enjoy having JW ladies round for discussions. I once carried out archaeological work at the site of a new Kingdom Hall being built by the members and although it was clear I didn't share their beliefs they were all unfailingly welcoming and friendly. I have no problem with people who aren't trying to kill me for my beliefs.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gents, I will come in on this, as a practicing J.W. for 30yrs +. (We give that response so as not to offend, we hear it so many times on our visits). But seriously I have been an active member on this splendid forum,that is very informative and friendly, since 2010 so if you feel that you would  prefer not to have me on I will gladly but reluctantly come off.   This I do not find offensive ether but felt I must say something. 

Gordon W

No offence intended, they might not have been JW's but from other 'doorstepping' faiths such as the Mormons. They do however seem to have a tendency to knock on my door at the most inopportune moments and as my mobility is a little impaired and it is difficult sometimes to get up and answer the door such calls can be an annoyance. 

Archived