Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hinton Ampner

emt_911

Duncan,

I like it.  It will I think do everything you want it to and there seems to be a good lot of modelling in there as well.  I am not sure if it is prototypical to have the point under the bridge, but I am sure that someone could find one like that somewhere.

Thanks Chris

I'm not sure if it's protypical either but I'll live with it to give the operational possibilities.

Duncan

• Like 2

I would start with the village section thin down the road so a Scammell tank transporter nearly fills it cue MPs on motorbikes... I would also close up the buildings on the side of the road or put some dilapidated cottages or barns in the gaps the number of men working the land had dropped massively after the first world war and the worst tied cottages were not used any more.

Starting with the village section means that you could move some buildings across if you felt they were too cramped.

Evening Mick

I'm certainly looking more at the village section first and the rest can follow.

Either the Scammell or a convoy of vehicles in transit, maybe with a breakdown (never really happens, honest :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester: ) 

There will be a few more buildings, a couple the worst for wear and maybe one damaged by a stray bomb earlier on in the conflict.

Duncan

• Like 3

Hi Duncan, glad you posted the plan, and Webbers who know what there talking about chipping in with constructive criticism which is what you were looking for.

Not being an expert in track design I will leave that to those in the know but all I can say is that I for one have NEVER SEEN a Pink Bridge.

Hat Coat and running like He**, hahaha.

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

I must admit that I thought that the cottages were 'notional' not actual and I would agree they need to be closer together.

I am not sure how you could get round the facing point left of the military base as I am not sure how else you would get in there.

PS. Just seen your comment about the goods yard.  Yes, I would turn it round.  It would work and probably would only be shunted by goods trains on that side.  Depending on how far the end of the line was they might sends trucks to the end and then back again, or a pick up goods coming the other way may go 'wrong line' to shunt.

Edited by ChrisN

Hi Duncan, glad you posted the plan, and Webbers who know what there talking about chipping in with constructive criticism which is what you were looking for.

Not being an expert in track design I will leave that to those in the know but all I can say is that I for one have NEVER SEEN a Pink Bridge.

Hat Coat and running like He**, hahaha.

Andy

Thanks for looking in.

I'll have to do the rating here as I'm only allowed one. :nono:

Thanks / Funny

Duncan

Duncan,

I must admit that I thought that the cottages were 'notional' not actual and I would agree they need to be closer together.

I am not sure how you could get round the facing point left of the military base as I am not sure how else you would get in there.

PS. Just seen your comment about the goods yard.  Yes, I would turn it round.  It would work and probably would only be shunted by goods trains on that side.  Depending on how far the end of the line was they might sends trucks to the end and then back again, or a pick up goods coming the other way may go 'wrong line' to shunt.

Chris

As far as the village goes, I'm still not sure which side of the board will be the back.

If I turn it round it may look better. Also, if the cottages work right, the church may be moved to the village section at the left hand side just before the bend.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

I was thinking of just turning the goods yard round so it faces in the other direction not changing which side the village was on.  It probably woks better with it on the bottom as you have it.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan,

Railways don't like facing points where they don't need them. here are my thoughts on making it work railway wise with trailing points. I have added a headshunt for the army sidings.

post-16423-0-68229800-1412888664_thumb.png

post-16423-0-66904800-1412888688_thumb.png

I hope this helpful.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Mick

I'm certainly looking more at the village section first and the rest can follow.

Either the Scammell or a convoy of vehicles in transit, maybe with a breakdown (never really happens, honest :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester: ) 

There will be a few more buildings, a couple the worst for wear and maybe one damaged by a stray bomb earlier on in the conflict.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

When I was with 10 Field Workshops we were on exercise and the word got to the recovery mechs that the 4 tonner carrying the "Spanner Club" beer had broken down, every recovery vehicle was mobilised. I think they all wanted to be the hero who saved the "Spanner Club" :sungum:

• Like 3

Evening Clive

As usual, very helpful. After having swapped over the siding into the goods shed, I'm not sure which version to go with (yet). No doubt others will have their views.

As for the military board, I like your thinking. It'll be filed away for further reference as this will be the second section to be built (the village coming first).

That is, if no one from Rough Engineering Made Easy decides to complain. I might listen. :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Duncan

• Like 2

Hi Duncan

When I was with 10 Field Workshops we were on exercise and the word got to the recovery mechs that the 4 tonner carrying the "Spanner Club" beer had broken down, every recovery vehicle was mobilised. I think they all wanted to be the hero who saved the "Spanner Club" :sungum:

Clive

Far too many similar stories that both of us will know about and possibly got involved in. :sungum:  :sungum:

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

I think Clive has nailed it.  I am not sure how common single slips were on the LSWR but they were greatly used on the Cambrian and Andy has an MR one on BItton.  The downside is that they are expensive.  They do make it work though and without moving to much around.

If a train arrives onto the up line, would the engine in the base be allowed onto the main line to draw the train back over the crossover?  Then the train engine would pull it forward, and the base engine draw it back into the siding.  You have put in a run round so it could run round the train and finish backing it.  Of course the train engine could just back it.  Not sure what would be more prototypical.  I know they used an engine to draw passenger trains into and out of Templecombe, but that was a different line and passengers.

Chris

Looks like some more research into the use of single slips on the LSWR. Cost could also be an issue, but, you never know.

Answers to follow later (when I have the answer)

Duncan

• Like 1

I've been having a think about the village.

I need to find out if blacksmiths and bakeries were in operation during this time. Either way, they will be modelled in some form.

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

I am prepared to be proved wrong but a quick trip round the interweb has backed up what I had thought which was that horses were still used on farms a fair amount up to and during the 1940s so it is highly likely that there would be a blacksmith in operation.

There are still local bakers at the moment so it is highly likely that there would be one in your village.

A research day today. I'm planning a few hours in front of the laptop finding out a few things.

Did third rail electrification go as far as this before the war? (If not, I may have to invoke Rule 1)

What am I going to do about sleeper spacing?

Signalling. I know how it works (in theory) but not how this would be signalled.

Various building designs.

Nice easy day.

Duncan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

We have our grandson around and I have just read him a book that I read to my children but had forgotten the story.  It was how the birds and small animals were frightened by the big red animal that breathed smoke because they had never seen a TRACTOR before.  Year of printing, 1951.

I will try and look later at my 'Lines to....Windsor, Ascot etc and see when they went to third rail.  They are fairly close to London so I am not sure how long it took to reach further afield.

• Like 2

Thanks Chris

You've provided me with something to think about with the tractor.

It's going to be interesting about the third rail. A lot was done up to 1939 and them some fell by the wayside until 1948. Some that were completed also had 3 and 4 aspect signalling while others retained the semaphore.

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

They got as far as Kingston in 1933, maybe further.  I do not have anything further south than that but I will Google and see what I can find when I have some time.  Busy weekend.

• Like 1