Hi Dan!

Glad you like. The inspiration for using card was rather that I have always used it, and find it does what I ask it to, whereas I don't get on very well with plastic or metal! In terms of rolling stock rather than buildings - a couple of articles in the modelling press got me thinking - especially a point made about the strength of stock relative to its size. My cardboard trucks are very strong, bounce happily and don't bend - in fact perform better than plastic models I have tried to construct.

another issue is cost - of course! the card cutter I have helps, but everything could be don't by hand, and is for a lot of the elements. The card models cost a few quid - mostly for the wheels. The motors are scrounged from old OO locos, and the rest is bodged. They aren't perfect, but they fit in with the whole.

This is the final issue, really - the whole model uses the same media card painted with acrylics. As it progresses, it is taking on the appearance of a 3D painting, rather than a photo-realistic model. Many elements, including the stock, are freelance - much as the narrow gauge guys seem to get away with. For me, making a convincing scene is the aim, rather than individual perfect models. The last part is probably down to ability and research - I cant always find what I need to make it perfect - and if I could find it, there is no guarantee that I could get it right!

anyway.

any help you need, give me a shout. I have pdfs of much of the stock, enabling you to have a go yourself ....

it is dead easy, honest - otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it!

cheers

andy

• Like 2

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply :imsohappy:

what is there not to like.. whether you make your models for photo purposes or simply something to share with your family.. definitely one of the best projects I have seen or followed in ages.

I surely would like to give it a go, I must confess that I having seen your blogs yesterday evening it got me thinking and Very curious about starting the next potential project. This could not have come at a better time, as I have been recently doing a lot of researching into light railways (Kent and East Sussex) .. along with a Southern region theme.

So If I could trouble you for some more info or those pdf files into your inspirational card modelling, I would really appreciate it.

May I ask what is next for Gainford Spa or what is the current work in progress on the work bench?

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Dan     

Thank you very much... all embarrassed now :)

I have a few bits of light railway stock and buildings - that was my original intention, before I got all weird and decided to go for an earlier theme. I will look out a few pics if I can.

Next step? well, the layout needs a case and a fiddle yard, so it can be exhibited. and then some pictures and text explaining how it was built. not exciting, but necessary, I think.

In terms of fun stuff, I need to finish the townscape - just have one little bit left to paint. then coal and lime heaps and some more yard walls. It occurs to me that I have been putting off doing the ballasting too, because I hate it! Basically, there is not much to do in terms of big structures, but a lot of hard graft with small stuff.

hope to show progress soon!

thanks for the interest, though - I really enjoy knowing that people like looking at the models.

cheers

Andy

ps - thanks Neil! the tramway tank is still waiting to get off the starting blocks! Hope you are well. Andy

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 1

Hi Andy :good:

No worries, don't be embarrassed.. just saying what I see.

Ah nice, good to know that I am not alone in the interests into light railways   :) fair play. Nah not weird at all, we all like different things and I sure I wont be the first or last to say that diversity in our hobby is what keeps us all going. Narrow gauge modellers are some of the most talented modellers around and in a way you have to take your hat off to them, nice thing about narrow gauge modelling is the freedom of it .. every rivet counters nightmare :imsohappy:don't get me wrong I mean no offence to the purists out there as if it weren't for them.. then we would not be so enriched with the knowledge of our much loved railways. Look forward to seeing the pics too :) 

yeah I totally agree with the literature when it comes to explaining how your layout or time caption came to be.. not everyone likes to ask at exhibitions .. which saddens me as I always like to talk as much as possible when I exhibit, I have carried a motto with me ever since I joined my local club and its " we learn, we share and we grow" in doing this or believing in this its how we go forward in this delightful hobby and if like you .. you inspire just one person, got to be a good thing??.

Glad to hear that you are planning to exhibit Gainford, I am positively confident that you will go down a storm - a real pioneer in your field :good: ah the ballast phobia eh .. embrace the ballast don't fear it .. yeh its true that good ballasting can make or break a layout .. but with much practice.. its not so bad, honest. me I absolutely enjoy doing it, if I was local to you then I would offer to show you my very simple quick and easy technique with ballasting.

will share my secret with you if you would like?  after me explaining it, you will come round and say .. that's incredibly simple and Very effective - I Promise you :imsohappy: 

No worries for showing keen interest in your layout and I think everyone enjoys positive feedback, you surely deserve it bud :yahoo: :locomotive:

All the best bud and please keep us posted on your progress??

Kind Regards

Dan :good:

Sorry if anyone was intending popping to Spennymoor to see the layout at the exhibition - not able to come due to hospitals and things. No great drama, just a pain, as I don't like letting people down.

I am sure it wont make a big difference to anyone's enjoyment - but if you really do want to see it, and are in the area, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

cheers

Andy

edit - am utterly gutted not to be going - and would welcome invites elsewhere :)

Edited by cornamuse

I love it, too.  I have looked longingly at dozens of superb layouts at exhibitions and in the press.  Many have impressed and inspired;  only two have also made me smile, Madder Valley and Maeport East.  This is the third layout to make me smile.  Thank you for that.

Thank you, both.

I would love to know which aspects made you smile - that is a reaction I like a lot!

The aim is for the finished model, when exhibited, to have a full (fictional) history, and also stories surrounding the lovely figures that I have bought from Andrew Stadden. My son has names all that I have painted, and we have all sorts of little stories about them. The layout will be operated showing a day in the life of the railway, told as a story, using a powerpoint presentation running alongside.

hopefully that will make a very small model more convincing and entertaining...

Cornamuse - The quality that Gainford Spa has in my eyes is rare and rather hard to define, so, I gratefully adopt Mr Hudson's succinct definition, "original, authentic and quirky". 

I could comment upon various aspects I admire: Early Victorian architecture, infrastructure and rolling stock, which is rarely seen; Italianate stucco and short wheel-base stock captures a sense of period beautifully.  There is human interest in the details.  The combination of elements is clever in a compact layout in one of the larger scales; it is a quart in a pint pot.  Finally, I like the use of card, a medium that, together with the consistent palette used to finish the scenic elements, yields a warm and natural look. 

But, the magic is in the effect that combining all this somehow produces, and I could not put my finger on precisely how that works.  In my humble opinion, there is a charm about the model and something whimsical.  If I may presume further, it looks to me like a model made by someone happy. Some models are good for the soul.  This is one of them.

I look forward to more views of the layout, and also to the 'history', because it is entirely believable that it has one.  

• Like 1

ok. I am blushing now

I was expecting something along the lines of "the adverts are funny" shows how shallow I am

my most humble and genuinely heartfelt thanks for those kind words... and I will get a wiggle on painting the church to finish off the townscape!

cheers

Andy

p.s. May I quote you both, please, should I need to?

Edited by cornamuse

Credit where it's due, I say. 

To sit and eat sausage and mash to the sound of little tank engines chuffering about, before sauntering round to the station and procuring a ticket to the coast ...  It does the job for me.  And, by all means, quote anything you want.

I haven't checked in on Gainford Spa for quite a while and its certainly progressed since I last looked! To echo other comments, the backscene really blends in and helps add more depth to the whole layout. Keep up your brilliant work!

All the best,

Lloyd

• 3 months later...

Not much progress of late, although the green Bodmin style stock is back in service with new chassis... any thoughts on a colour for them? They are due to become the workers train, and an extra add on set for the market day special.

only other tangible progress is the railway's crest, which will be used on all the signs and so on should it make its way to an exhibition... also have the history of the line mapped out, as well as the back stories for many of the figures on the layout.

it may seem pointless, but I have a scheme for making such a small layout entertaining for onlookers..

Edit - I am sure the original crest will be easy to work out... marshmallow to the first correct reply :)

post-11344-0-46843400-1439941782.gif

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 1

Well spotted Mike, an extra marshmallow for you.

I was hoping the translation was close enough to small yet mighty, but my Latin is rubbish

if anyone is wondering, Gainford Spa doesn't exist, but then I might be modelling the Cockerton docks too at some point, which were due to exist ...

Well spotted Mike, an extra marshmallow for you.

I was hoping the translation was close enough to small yet mighty, but my Latin is rubbish

if anyone is wondering, Gainford Spa doesn't exist, but then I might be modelling the Cockerton docks too at some point, which were due to exist ...

I did a layout featuring Cockerton Docks some 20 years ago! You could always incorporate the Gainford part of the Winston canal which was the same scheme as Cockerton docks.

Mike

FINALLY!!!

the layout has a permanent case. This has show up a few issues, like the less than square original baseboard. It remains to be seen if everything will work correctly once the wiring is replaced. On the subject of which, the bird's nest of wiring will be tidied up - it is embarrassing, given that there are 3 sidings and one point.

next stage will be lighting ... no idea what will work, especially as it would be nice not to have shadows on the sky

there also need to be a few additions of building - maybe a water tower by the station to fill in the gap by the left end.

post-11344-0-63326200-1440369310.jpg

post-11344-0-48699500-1440369326_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Be prepared that a lot of people are going to like this, there is so much in the picture. It will have influence beyond its tiny size!

Like me, you have some ballasting to do. Interesting that the stone colour varies between the photos with the lighting, from 'stone' to pinkish.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

next stage will be lighting ... no idea what will work, especially as it would be nice not to have shadows on the sky

I have used those flexible strips of LEDs with some success. You could start putting with two pieces of "daylight white" and one piece  of "warm white" across the top of the enclosure, immediately behind the front edge and angled down towards the back of the baseboard. This will effectively make a large number of point sources, and shadows will be minimal. (Link to what I did.)

With a layout in an enclosure, it might be useful to put one or two strips of warm white vertically up one side, behind a narrow fascia and pointing across the model away from the viewer. The idea being to add some modelling to the scene. which would come from low sunlight.

If you try LEDs prepare to buy a dedicated mains power unit for them.

- Richard.

Gosh thank you, folks... and thanks for the lighting tips. I shall see what I can afford :) and/or cobble together

the lighting does seem to make a great deal of difference to the stone colour. mind you, I am colourblind enough that I have to rely on my wife's long suffering assistance.

today we have mostly achieved my first ever tree. I have never managed a decent enough one before - and I know it would be unlikely to be so close to buildings or the line, but I am acting under higher orders, and it does look rather nice there. My 4 year old was distressed that there were not any trees, and seeing as he considers it his railway, and can operate it competently, a tree there had to be. his next demands are for a coal and water stage... yes, seriously, he does know what they are for :)

anyway - the tree... the basis is a number of twigs spiced together, seafoam glued to the ends of the branches (the ready coated Bachmann stuff I think, purely because I had no other) then a mix of scatters - all foam I think - over the top. Shame I haven't more space, I rather enjoyed it, and think I could do better next time. A scots pine might just fit..

oh, Dava - yes I have lots of ballasting to do. I am searching for ways for this not to be needed :) ... although on the possible extension (s) I would like to model stone blocks for at least part of the length

post-11344-0-31320700-1440549627.jpg

post-11344-0-04252100-1440549632.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 9

Whole scene together now, apart from the coaling stage, which will be in the front. Then just a lot of ballasting and masses of detail to add!

for those who are rightly trying to spot the difference ... backscene in place, made slightly more 3D, chimney pots, weather vane on town hall, extra buildings on the scene, tree in place.... etc

coaling stage to follow soon

post-11344-0-86243500-1440781446_thumb.jpg

• Like 11