Ok... the small controller demanded a coal and water stage. More than that... we visited beamish and his immediate cry as we set foot in the coal mine are was ... "That is the one we need"

So - here we go. It is a nice small coaling stage that will suit the layout, luckily. Anyone know why the tank has rounded ends? is it unusual? I have only seen examples like this at Beamish...

post-11344-0-40989000-1440851321.jpg

post-11344-0-54171200-1440851343.jpg

post-11344-0-64662300-1440851352.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you kindly, sir :)

I spent hours failing to find an example, but this sets my mind at rest! I shall continue with the tank as required my the small controller!

As an aside, this is his other railway. Painting the backscene for this one was more time consuming than mine, but rather more satisfying.

P.S. yes, I know that is a red caboose. I had just about converted it into something like a small north eastern brake van, but the duckets were too wide for the very tight clearances. And hey.... everything has faces on it, and the water tower has mickey mouse ears, so a caboose is the least of my worries!

should anyone care, the trucks are Bachmann wheelsets and mdf and card for the rest. Can't afford the authentic stock, and these will survive anything!

post-11344-0-41426600-1441036328.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 5

Progress...

water tank constructed from plastic tube and polystyrene balls... embossed rivet strip in card - I had forgotten that my usual track pin rivets wouldn't work, which is double edged - it would have used loads, but they would have been nice and heavy looking. Anyway, not too bad.

The second shot is of the paint finish on the embossed platform, showing the nice level of relief available using a ballpoint pen and a selection of "scratchy things"

I am posting this as a diversion from embossing brickwork... this will be the only bit on the whole model, I hope!

post-11344-0-02448200-1441053713.jpg

post-11344-0-20945900-1441053723.jpg

• Like 2

So, here we are ...

a little coaling stage for the layout, probably a little too overgrown, given the conversation in the pre-grouping room. Oh well, maybe I can model someone hacking it away!

Still needs coal and, I suspect, a set of steps so he doesn't need to jump up to do his work!

post-11344-0-01355300-1441139962.jpg

post-11344-0-50958800-1441139966.jpg

post-11344-0-35994600-1441139971.jpg

• Like 8

Genesis of a Railway Policeman

Septimus Bagby, our Railway Policeman ... heavily adapted from one of the excellent A C Stadden figures - a Cambrian loco driver. I feel I ought to apologise to the original maker for my cack handed attempts, but he looks ok, in the dark, with the light behind him :)

The temptation to try came from Mikkel's awesome Farthing layouts, and the backdating and adaptation he has managed with his figures. Thank you for the inspiration, Mikkel!

post-11344-0-11787300-1441322662.jpg

post-11344-0-48249300-1441322667.jpg

post-11344-0-49401200-1441322677.jpg

post-11344-0-97192000-1441322682.jpg

post-11344-0-32905000-1441322690.jpg

• Like 6

Well, she was built by George England in 1857 and there is a definite family resemblance with the first Ffestiniog locos they built a few years later, so maybe a Princess style mini-weatherboard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ffestiniog_PDold_3.jpg

I just came across a drawing from 1905 of Jane sans cab, but whether it's accurate or simply backdated from it's Wantage appearance I don't know

post-4916-0-00381200-1441334180.jpg

from The Locomotive Magazine November 1905

• Like 2

I have learnt 2 things today.  First, that at Goatland they seem to have concluded that you do nothing special with the lime, just leave it in a pile, and, second, that it is important to use the search term "lime cells", as opposed to "lime drops".

post-25673-0-30471600-1441364196.jpg

post-25673-0-88627000-1441364217.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you :) I used milliput to carry out the adjustments, with a paper belt. and will certainly continue with converting other people; it was fun!

Sparks - nice pic :) gets me keen to build another loco, although I want a tramway one next

I like the lime drops best :) that would make a good waggon load!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whole scene together now, apart from the coaling stage, which will be in the front. Then just a lot of ballasting and masses of detail to add!

for those who are rightly trying to spot the difference ... backscene in place, made slightly more 3D, chimney pots, weather vane on town hall, extra buildings on the scene, tree in place.... etc

coaling stage to follow soon

Hi Cornamuse,

I've just come found this excellent model, from your post on the "Show us your buildings" thread.  Haven't read it through yet, but I will be.

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Andy, just returned to this site after a lengthy break away.

I would like to say what a real pleasure it is to return back to your blog, every photo you have posted just oozes majestic atmosphere within your layout. Its very rare to find a layout that truly inspires, innovates and captures the true essence of a railway of its time. Every aspect of this layout seems to invite you in and want to tell us a story. You are a fab craftsman and deserve every bit of credit given for Gainford.

If anyone could ever wonder, what or why to model a small layout .. This surely has to be top of the list of reasons why .. you just have to   :imsohappy: Truly Awesome

Kind Regards

Dan

still putting that off!

ok, umming and ahiing about a small stable flock, but I don't think it will fit, even behind the lime cells

so - offstage bits needed - storage yard etc; am trying to come up with a way to make it scenic

there are lots of little bits - inside of the café; a water fountain for the teetotallers among the little people; horse drawn wagons for collecting coal and lime; bl**dy ballasting - which I think will be done with modelling clay; a few more wagons; maybe another loco; some accurately modelled close up foliage; etc etc etc

but yes, it is about done, an terms of overall look

next stop will be either the docks; engine shed / engineering works; or coalmine - probably the mine, as the small controller is fascinated by them. however, I am going to be strict with myself and get this a bit more finished first!

• RMweb Premium

I use DAS clay for ballast, paint it then add scatter materials when dry. You'd get away with this, the effect would be OK for the period & you don't actually have a lot of track to do. Wet afternoon job (how is the weather in the UK?).

Dava