• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't yet worked out where the station was at Gainford - on the line from Darlington to Barney - but did have just enough time last week to pull off the main-drag and see the green.  Very impressed.

On the S&D theme, I note that their staff wore red coats, which makes a real change from the ubiquitous blue.  A possibility for railway servants at Gainford Spa?

• 2 months later...

At last - some progress....

Having had a busy few months at work, and waiting in vain for the ballasting fairies to visit - I have finally decided to get on with it.

The idea is to fill the largest areas with haphazard stonework, and then infill with modelling clay, stippled to represent (hopefully) ash ballast, to rail level.

Rail level will actually be kept clear of, as I want to make sure the rather short waggons have the best chance possible. Anyway, maybe my imaginary line did that :)

I am trying out some awesome now clay - my wife bought it for our 4 year old to use - it is very light, appears not to be water based, and is fairly adhesive. Imagine white blu-tack, only far less dense. It is called Crayola Air Dry Model Magic. (hopefully I am ok saying on here). soooooo much better than the usual air drying clay - apart from anything else, it isn't clay passed, so it doesn't get everywhere. It doesn't seem to shrink or crack, and is incredibly light when dry.   

post-11344-0-52146200-1451426507.jpg

post-11344-0-76065600-1451426512.jpg

post-11344-0-78548600-1451426517.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Dava!

it is working a treat, takes paint well, and stays slightly pliable.

not much to do? to make it look respectable, no - to finish? I have a list of jobs rather longer than the list I started with when I came up with the first idea!

OK, groundwork at the point where I might not be ashamed to take the model out to a show. need to research the colour of ash etc - and how much vegetation might take root in it. I have decided the line is - as most small independent railways - a bit short of cash, so the trackwork is likely to have some greenery. Well - mostly I am doing it because I am not totally happy with it, and I also like verdant growth :)

here we go - comments and suggestions welcome - but I cant take it all up and start again...

post-11344-0-57439600-1451594848.jpg

post-11344-0-56538400-1451594860.jpg

• Like 8

And now .... almost the full layout.

Plus all the rolling stock (I am about halfway through what I need for the sequence I want to operate)

Still needed - sheep / cattle wagon; lime truck; more chaldron waggons; dandy cart with horse (motorised maybe - not the horse!); more open wagons; carriage wagon with carriage on it; etc etc

Loco 3 is getting skirts because I am sick of re-quartering wheels. Will buy proper ones next time!

post-11344-0-11383800-1451595226.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yes the cinder ballast effect works well.

Do you know what a S&D or early railway buffer stop may have looked like? You probably need very short ones to save space. I used strip wood uprights with 'planks' across the top.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Gainford Spa is looking great Andy! The ballasting has made a big difference to the layout. I think I will have to keep an eye out for the clay material you've used between the rails as I need/want to try something similar for Elsbridge Wharf. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Thank you both of you!

the clay has worked well, and would have been even better if I had a) taken more time and b) done it before I built the s***ing case round it - it definitely looks better with the cinder ballast over the top, but would work well as concrete. I wouldn't try carving setts though - it stays too .. er ... chewy :) - the carved paving areas are foamboard, as in all other areas.

Not sure about the buffer stops - been looking all over for information. It will have to be short, but then the speed would be low, so I guess that would be ok. I am also looking at major butchery to create the last S&D guard to stand on the platform. I know it is supposed to be an independent line, but we have decided to use the same nice red jackets!

ALSO need to find seated workmen for the other open carriage. 3 or 4 would do, as I can hack them about to make more. Any good whitemetal ones anyone come across? need to be early Victorian looking.

Thanks Dava

here we go - buffer stops - probably not right for the period, but I can't think of any reason why not!

and a landscape view of the progress. adding some real coal next, I suspect - to the drops, loco facilities and the locos, as well as a load or two for the coal waggons

post-11344-0-41601700-1451773048.jpg

post-11344-0-58868300-1451773377.jpg

post-11344-0-91522700-1451773396.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The buffers look fine, that ballast is just the job too. It reminds me I have to paint some figures for mine. Your painting is better!

Dava

Painting is VERY much helped by the quality of the figures. No real secrets - plenty of threads on here do better :)

They are done wargaming style, starting from dark colours and building up. Quite relaxing once you get started on it, and you see the personality come through. These AC Stadden ones are so good that ours have names and stories and personalities. I have got rather attached to them, really!

no work tonight - been ploughing through schoolwork

however - 2 pics to try to convince my 4 year old they are good enough to be added to the "how realistic is your layout" thread.

the small human from del monte - he say NO :)

post-11344-0-31577600-1451861951.jpg

post-11344-0-04207100-1451861999.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 9

Really like this smashing little layout
I normally advise against putting so much into a small area
However, you have done just that - put a lot in, and done it so well :)

I like the buildings, and I especially like that all the roof heights and angles differ so much
It all adds interest and detail to the scene.

Re the ash, and growth of vegetation - much may depend on what sort of soil is beneath the track, quality, soil-type, rainfall / water levels etc
Ash itself was also used by gardeners (and probably still is) as it is rich in certain nutrients
I suppose however, oil and grease are not. 
But looking at some old photos of railways around collieries and industrial sites - there appears to be plenty of evidence of weeds, grass & greenery

I would definitely add some - maybe more faded colours, as opposed to bright greens?

Cheers

Thank you Marc - and I apologise for the greens :) pretty colour-blind here, so what looks right to me often looks pretty horrific to everyone else. I am looking at some pictures and you are right - there is a fair bit around. Given the size of the scale and layout, I feel I ought to get species specific once I have a spare decade or so to do it! In the meantime, however, some slightly subtler stuff will start to take root...

Next tasks include inside of café, water fountain for the wall (where the semi-circular step is) and the skirts for the loco.