Thanks all :)

Edwardian - I was hoping you wouldn't mention the lighting, as I was intending to put a bulb in the ceiling! you are right - it would be candles and oil lamps - but the rest of the layout have ceiling mounted lights - largely as it makes them less easy to see and gives a good light. the rooms are WAY too well lit- but then it is a toss up between accurate and worth modelling. If I did accurate lighting, you probably wouldn't see much!

However - since you have mentioned it, I will give it some thought ...

The kitchen took a fair bit of fitting into the café - but here we are.

I know some of the lamps are way too bright - I need to get some sort of paint that will safely dull them down a bit.

Next step is the top floor - a musicians garret probably, as I haven't made any tiny instruments, and music is another major passion.

post-11344-0-44986800-1456434454.jpg

post-11344-0-78175400-1456434472.jpg

post-11344-0-65048700-1456434483.jpg

post-11344-0-05201800-1456434530.jpg

post-11344-0-90766800-1456434599.jpg

post-11344-0-58702900-1456434630.jpg

• Like 2

Very beautiful.  Certainly the photographs show the interior lights to be mellow and yellow and not at all obviously bright. It is hard to judge from photographs. Might yellow translucent sweetie wrappers around the bulbs help? It would be an excuse to buy a tin of Quality Street or similar!

The level of detail and effort devoted to the interiors has certainly paid off; the views through the windows are quite magical.

• 4 weeks later...

By way of a slight digression from fiction to fact, for which I hope you will forgive me, the Memsahib keeps her horse at a place called Forcett.  Observing what appeared to me to be an abandoned and partly filled railway cutting running by a road alongside the estate wall at Forcett Hall, I followed the line by sight across a field to a railway/goods shed type structure.

It turns out that this was a former quarry goods line extending as far as East Layton.  Further, it used an ex-S&D/NER 4-wheel third as its workman's coach and thus, this coach survived and is now being restored.  It is known as "the Forcett Coach", if anyone wants to look it up.  The building I saw is, I believe, the former Forcett Goods Station.

At its northern extremity, the line crossed the Tees on a fine arched stone bridge, and where did it then proceed to join the Darlington-Barnard Castle mainline?  Why, Gainford, of course.

When in temporary accommodation late last year, we were only about 7 minutes' drive from Gainford and ended up having to go to Darlington fairly frequently.  Since then, we have move further from Gainford and it happens that we have travelled to Darlington less often. Today, I had to drop the Mem off at the station, so drove through Gainford keeping a beady eye out for the bridge.  I reckon I spotted the bridge by which the Barnard Castle - Darlington line crossed the Tees, but the Forcett Branch bridge, if it still exists, seems too far south of the road to spot.

I was horror-struck, however, to see that some workman had started to knock down that fine range of red-brick buildings on the eastern edge of Gainford.  It is a shame to loose these buildings, and it knocks on the head my fantasy of winning the lottery, buying the site, and using the buildings to host a model railway factory!  I wonder if I will get the chance to return with a camera before too much more of the site is lost.

• Like 2

oooooooooooo - nice facts, though - and very useful to my fiction. I guess the Forcett Coach will be an acquisition soon! it is about time I built some more rolling stock - although another coach wasn't on the list :D

the bridges will need some investigation, too, as I have a bridge in mind for one of the scenes - got to do a bit of early Victorian rural at some point ...

the range of buildings didn't have a very happy history, I believe - I think they were part of an asylum - although I may be wrong

anyway - thank you for the fact - makes a good change from my deranged imaginings

Thanks for the correction Mike :) Guess I was partly right ... and having been out on a Saturday night in town, I am surprised it isn't still open and expanding :D

Clearly going to have to look closely at Forcett and see if it will make a convincing part of my empire.

The buildings are/were St Peters. Orphanage, borstal, care home, at various times over the 100 years it was in use. Always referred to as the bad boys school by people in Darlington

If it is a building with such a sad history, perhaps it is best gone.

EDIT:P.S.  I am still up at 00.55 because the Mem missed the 9 o'clock train from the Smoke.  Off to Darlington again just now!

Edited by Edwardian

You can tell it is the holiday - I have made some progress. In fact, I have finally finished furnishing the inside of the buildings at the front of the layout. The last room is a musician's garret - a simple bed, a small fireplace, a 'cello, a violin and a square piano. No idea how he got THAT in the room! Square pianos were a sort of early version of the modern instrument, but with a wooden frame, so the tuning was invariably a bit rubbish.

The violin is on the piano, in case you were checking... at one point, I sneezed and lost the dratted thing :D

At least now, I can get on to some different things - maybe a horse and trap for the coal merchant, more rolling stock, or - inspired by the discussions of things theatrical taking place at Castle Aching - posters advertising events to be plastered over the front wall ...

post-11344-0-57132100-1459110646_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-12529500-1459110654.jpg

post-11344-0-23293400-1459110659.jpg

post-11344-0-64310900-1459110664.jpg

post-11344-0-62880000-1459110674.jpg

post-11344-0-85834300-1459110678.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing short of pure brilliance, the attention to detail.. Just a true modelling craftsman.

I gratefully adopt my learned friend's submission; not for the first time I find myself inadequate to the task of praising your modelling.

Even the cracks in the plaster! Stunning piece of work. 

Don't knock the square piano. Listen to Schubert on a wooden framed one of his day and you'll be stunned.

Lovely modelling as usual.

When will we see Chatterton sprawled on his garret bed?

Thanks for making me blush guys :) It isn't often that pointing out the cracks in your work is a compliment!

the staved sheet music is a total cheat, given that I draw and paint everything - it is the real thing, found on google images and printed out really small on the home printer. The image is blurred at that size, but actually looks about right, because you wouldn't expect to see every not at the sort of scale distance you are looking from. Certainly, you couldn't read it, even with a magnifier. I had thought of looking for specific pieces, as I have a thing about period music (forced my choir to do a whole programme of Regency stuff in costume a while back, poor devils). However, it was too small to really make any difference.

I will have a look for some Schubert on the square piano. I would agree that music usually sounds at its best when played on the instrument it was written for - somehow more expressive, and often more delicate.

I would love a band of some sort stood next to the water fountain - maybe as part of the temperance rally or with a recruiting party - any excuse to make a model of a serpent, and even better have a recording playing ... I just need about another 200" square for all my ideas!

Edwardian

unfortunately St Peters was badly damaged in an arson attack a few weeks back. It was due to be converted to flats. The forcett viaduct was completely demolished in the late 70s or early 80s even the abutments were removed! (The one visible from the A67 is the east tees viaduct with a matching west tees viaduct further upstream.) The embankment leading up to it is still there with a neat cattle creep which now provides access to the teesdale way from gainford. Opposite st peters is the entrance to the old section of the A67 that leads to some cottages known as forcett cottages that were railway owned and from there is a public footpath that follows the course of the line back to forcett junction.

Indeed, and I think pretty much the only trace of the entire station site.

I have more piccies if you want.  I could not get a clear shot of the rear, but the original structure appears to have been 'L'-shaped, a wing running back from the left side of the building. 

I hope this is not too much of a hijack, but at the weekend the family went for a hack around Forcett and followed the route of the Forcett goods branch for part of the way.  Of Forcett Goods station, I have yet to find a trace, but I did manage to record some bridges and the engine shed.

The map below is a revision dating from 1912.  The red circle marks the bridge abutments where the line crossed the road opposite one corner of the Forcett Hall park wall.  From there the embankment slowly descends into a cutting until it goes under a road at the point marked with the green circle.  This bridge has been filled in.  Through the undergrowth is a glimpse of the arch.  In common with the culvert, the stone bridge has brick arches.  Only the parapets of this road bridge are clearly visible. 

The blue circled area contains the culvert, the former engine shed and, to the right (east) the abutments of bridge carrying the line over the adjacent road, these being too battered and overgrown to make out clearly.

post-25673-0-51603400-1460633567_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-81285600-1460633590_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-11365900-1460633613_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-28719400-1460633635_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-53918100-1460633650_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-04011200-1460633680_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-53624600-1460633715_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-65953700-1460633749_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-62768800-1460633775_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-80775100-1460633792_thumb.jpg

• Like 4