R3202 BR Flying Scotsman (Weathered 1960s Version).

Black 5 Bear

I saw this on Saturday and the build quality looks good and the new packaging helps with the tender coupling, the detail is up to the standard of my Brown Jack model from a few years a go. The weathering is one of Hornby's better efforts ie the top of the loco is not clean as some previous models and I like the thick layer of muck on the front buffer beam. The weathering is a good enough for a ready to run model and I would say offers a great starting point for adding a bit more refined weathering and some real coal would finish off the model nicely. I have put one aside at my local shop and will collect in a couple of weeks as I have been advised all are sold at Hornby so if you want one be quick only 1000 produced.

I saw this on Saturday and the build quality looks good and the new packaging helps with the tender coupling, the detail is up to the standard of my Brown Jack model from a few years a go. The weathering is one of Hornby's better efforts ie the top of the loco is not clean as some previous models and I like the thick layer of muck on the front buffer beam. The weathering is a good enough for a ready to run model and I would say offers a great starting point for adding a bit more refined weathering and some real coal would finish off the model nicely. I have put one aside at my local shop and will collect in a couple of weeks as I have been advised all are sold at Hornby so if you want one be quick only 1000 produced.

Thanks for the info, I have one on Pre-Order with Hattons which they tell me will be one of the second batch in my case for delivery sometime after the 7th of November, It's going to be an expensive Christmas, Lol  :jester:

If memory serves Rob (robmcg) has one (or possibly two) winging their way to New Zealand, so watch this space

Still waiting for the package to land on the doorstep, but it sounds like a lovely model, if as good as a weathered Brown Jack...  that would be nudging £200 if from TMC

Rob

p.s. actually toboldlygo I have fallen prey to the collector bug, I had it once with N15s and to some mild degree with Bulleid Light Pacifics,  but now it is Merchant Navys...  I see them sometimes at prices well under £100, or did until recently, and now have them  (nearly) all...

35010 -1-2-6-9  35020-1-3-5-6-7-8-9  there really will be men in white coats if this gets worse, I actually ENJOY it! 

Buying the weathered Scotsman will keep me sane. Should make nice photos too.

Cheers,

Rob

As you say Mike it looks good and with real coal and some slight touches representing lubricant and maybe some water staining or rust staining will be superb!

Nice to see pre-fitted brakerods, front 3-link and hose too.

I'm presuming more will be available before long.  It represents the return of Hornby to quality modelling if they can get the volumes up maybe even breaking-even in 2 years.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

It does look great. I love how the number on the cabsides is partially obscured beneath the firth and the tender fronts have the bottom corner of the lining hidden beneath then footplate wash out grime. Very much looking forward to mine arriving.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to introduce a dissenting note,gents,but I see no fitted brake rods or other accessories apart from a screwlink coupling.It also appears to come with the dreaded plug connector and not to have the more permanent version seen on other later Hornby models,which,if I am correct,is disappointing.

As to the weathering,well,from Hattons images,I can't see any grease or staining myself.....I wouldn't honestly expect any because that would add to labour & time costs. My verdict thus far...a standard spray job but heavier.For the best to date in factory weathering in OO,you must look to Dapol.

This is an improvement on previous models,however. Now,the next thing is the dreaded QC....

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to introduce a dissenting note,gents,but I see no fitted brake rods or other accessories apart from a screwlink coupling.It also appears to come with the dreaded plug connector and not to have the more permanent version seen on other later Hornby models,which,if I am correct,is disappointing.

As to the weathering,well,from Hattons images,I can't see any grease or staining myself.....I wouldn't honestly expect any because that would add to labour & time costs. My verdict thus far...a standard spray job but heavier.For the best to date in factory weathering in OO,you must look to Dapol.

This is an improvement on previous models,however. Now,the next thing is the dreaded QC....

In your case Ian, don't walk under any ladders or break any mirrors. As you always seem to get the duff ones...

• RMweb Gold

In your case Ian, don't walk under any ladders or break any mirrors. As you always seem to get the duff ones...

I'll be staying with what I've got.....60039/77/93. Reckon you'd do a proper job on an A 3 anyway,James.....grease,water deposits,rust etc....Yes,my track record with Hornby recently ain't brilliant.To cap it all,my specs broke in two last week...but that's another story

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

I'll be staying with what I've got.....60039/77/93. Reckon you'd do a proper job on an A 3 anyway,James.....grease,water deposits,rust etc....Yes,my track record with Hornby recently ain't brilliant.To cap it all,my specs broke in two last week...but that's another story

Cheers!

Funnily enough I do have an A3 waiting in the wings...

Regarding the plug - IF the new packaging allows teh loco and tender to be stored closer together, is there not every chance that the plug can be left in.

She generally does look well made. I wonder who by - the last of Sanda Kan or the first Refined Industries A3? I'm guessing since the A4s are with REF the A3s are as well given the amount of shared tooling

Maybe I'm not so keen now, I thought the plug connector according to Hornby was dead and buried due to it's fragility, I suppose my other loco on pre-order Bittern (Double Tender Version) is likely to be the same, may have to rethink this after having previously purchased loco's with this set up !!!!  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I'm not so keen now, I thought the plug connector according to Hornby was dead and buried due to it's fragility, I suppose my other loco on pre-order Bittern (Double Tender Version) is likely to be the same, may have to rethink 

I hope I'm wrong on this but that's how it appears.

I hope I'm wrong on this but that's how it appears.

Ian,

You are spot on, I have just looked on the Hornby Service downloads for both the A3 and A4 which confirms plug connection fittings on both locomotives, this is a pity as I like the Hattons pre-order photo of the weathered FS, retrograde step by this manufacturer I think !!!!

• RMweb Gold
Ian,

You are spot on, I have just looked on the Hornby Service downloads for both the A3 and A4 which confirms plug connection fittings on both locomotives, this is a pity as I like the Hattons pre-order photo of the weathered FS, retrograde step by this manufacturer I think !!!![/quote

The service sheet is identical to the earlier plug versions ,I agree .Does Hilux have info to confirm a pre fitted assembly ?

• RMweb Premium

It is in the new type of packaging. This new packaging has the plug pre fitted as the packaging is designed to have the loco and tender connected so that you don't have to remove the plug to put it away. I'm sure that those who have purchased it will confirm this when they receive them.

I imagine the Hattons photos would be the standard version for sale.  And you are right Ian the brake rods are not pre-fitted in their pics., my error, but it's still very nice and looks very straight to me.

here is modified edited picture with all kinds of additions and alterations, and still to my eye a very fine model. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/?p=1609870

Archived