R3202 BR Flying Scotsman (Weathered 1960s Version).

Black 5 Bear

I collected mine this afternoon from Waltons in Altrincham, its a very high quality model, very pleased with it. You can see on one of the pics I've tried to show the packaging to accommodate the tender drawbar and wire which is plugged in to the tender.

Sorry about the picture quality as they are only mobile phone snap shays and the light was fading outside

post-20725-0-10404800-1412275075_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-80329200-1412275076_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-27969200-1412275078_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-64457900-1412275079_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-82926700-1412275080_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-76481800-1412275082_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-26526200-1412275084_thumb.jpgpost-20725-0-76528300-1412275085_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality as they are only mobile phone snap shays and the light was fading outside

Worry not over picture quality....Those shots actually tell us a lot and it looks to be a fine model.

I just wish the real A3's had looked looked that in the early 1950s.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the above. I am relieved to see my fears unfounded and that it does appear to be a model of high standard. It does not,however,appear to be the same example as the one I've been looking at on Hattons website....not that I'm complaining ,rather relieved,in fact.The one I am looking at here suits very well indeed,especially as I won't have that b####y plug to contend with. The light weathering also appears acceptable.If QC Command have done their duty,then it's bells & whistles all the way.

I collected mine this afternoon from Waltons in Altrincham, its a very high quality model, very pleased with it. You can see on one of the pics I've tried to show the packaging to accommodate the tender drawbar and wire which is plugged in to the tender.

attachicon.gifcertificate.jpgattachicon.gifFront_1.jpgattachicon.gifFront_2.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4630.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4633.jpgattachicon.gifSide_1.jpgattachicon.gifSide_3.jpgattachicon.gifTenderDrawbar.jpg

Thank you for the pics, this clears things up nicely, I can now sit back and wait for my pre-order to arrive sometime in November.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad you agree it's a fantastic model. It is much better in the flesh than in the photos. Very pleased with it. All I need to do now is get some track laid on my baseboard and start my depot layout. At the moment the new A3 sits along side my new TTS P2 and 11 A4's in a cabinet..

Heres the link to my plan

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91045-best-way-to-wire-this-for-dcc/

It looks a really nice bit of work. I'd like to see 60103 in the flesh to  make a judgement call on the weathering.

Also nice to see a proper split handrail and lower lamp iron on the smoke box door missed out on Brown Jack. It should have an AWS bang plate under the front coupling easily replicated with a bit of plastic or brass.

I've already modeled 60103 with a split hand rail and A4 tender. 

It may still be temping to have one of these beauties

The weathered A3 is one of the best examples of RTR modelling I've seen for a while, and presumably it is not from Sanda Kan. Bravo Hornby.

I shall hopefully do some photos within the week, perhaps even an unedited one here,  but I have also received a Bachmann Midland Compound 1000 in Crimson Lake and it is also vying for my attention. The Compound is equally a brilliant model which by some fluke got from Sheffield to NZ in 'unboxed' form, rolled in ordinary cream packing paper like fish and chips, inside a standard brown box and cushioned only with a bit of crumpled newspaper, very basic packing and ... UNDAMAGED ,  brake rods, footrests and lamps etc. all intact. Maybe simpler packing is sometimes better? No bubble-wrap, no cardboard tube.   I would never risk the crumpled newspaper and roll of standard paper myself, and I sell-on some of my models with web sales locally.

But I digress, 60103 is simply lovely, great to see a straight model for once from Hornby!  More photos in due course.

Can we confirm it is not SK (although as I previously suggested, given Refined now have the A4 tooling...) - code on the white sticker on the box please?

Interesting to see Mr Kohlers signature still on the certificate!

Bodes well for other releases. Just a shame some of us have already spent £1000 on 6 'guinea-pig' A4s...!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the above. I am relieved to see my fears unfounded and that it does appear to be a model of high standard. It does not,however,appear to be the same example as the one I've been looking at on Hattons website....not that I'm complaining ,rather relieved,in fact.The one I am looking at here suits very well indeed,especially as I won't have that b####y plug to contend with. The light weathering also appears acceptable.If QC Command have done their duty,then it's bells & whistles all the way.

Having said I wasn't,I did and succumbed to an "offer I could not refuse" from The Hobby Shop,Faversham.( a plug here for 5* service.....£120 + courier delivery ) I have just removed it from its packaging,given it a careful eyeball to see if all was in place and tested it.

QC...well,sort of ok. Tender body needed careful reclipping into place,cab doors askew...one fell off (nothing new there) and the seam atop the boiler & firebox a tad crudely executed,especially in comparison with other various Hornby A3's I have,although maybe the weathering accentuates this. Most accessories already in place...plus point and yes,loco & tender semi permanently coupled....plus point two..The weathering is a pleasant surprise,having seen Hattons images and I still don't think I'm looking at the same model. For a "factory job"...not bad at all and far better than I 've seen from Hornby to date.

On the tracks,goes as well as the others& quietly. Initial reluctance to start (again,nothing new there) which caused a moment's inward groan with me,given the fact that my last two "out of the box" new Hornby locos.....R 3191 & R 3207.... were non runners until pick up shorts were eliminated.

So,folks,for now,there you have it. It pulls well and should grace any layout elegantly.

• RMweb Gold

Worry not over picture quality....Those shots actually tell us a lot and it looks to be a fine model.

I just wish the real A3's had looked looked that in the early 1950s.

Just noticed this,Larry...I think you mean early 60's? Otherwise it's minus deflectors and single chimney. Which for most,was the more elegant beast,I suppose.They looked fantastic in BR blue.'Merry Hampton' was the first and only one I saw in that livery.Be nice if Hornby revisited that with an A3 re run

Just noticed this,Larry...I think you mean early 60's? Otherwise it's minus deflectors and single chimney. Which for most,was the more elegant beast,I suppose.They looked fantastic in BR blue.'Merry Hampton' was the first and only one I saw in that livery.Be nice if Hornby revisited that with an A3 re run

No Ian, I just wished they had smoke deflectors and double chimneys in the early 1950's. You will have guessed I am no true Gresley aficionado therefore, but merely a bloke with likes and dislikes with no particular party line. 

• RMweb Gold

No Ian, I just wished they had smoke deflectors and double chimneys in the early 1950's. You will have guessed I am no true Gresley aficionado therefore, but merely a bloke with likes and dislikes with no particular party line.

Careful,Larry.....people get sent to The Tower for less on this site. The LNER mob will probably put out a 'contract' on you...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up mine from Ally Pally, £130. Nice looking model, but she seems louder and a little more light footed than my NRM black model. I've taken out the spring over the pony truck, which seemed to be quite a hard spring. Traction has improved, but I'm not totally convinced it performs as well as the older model.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up mine from Ally Pally, £130. Nice looking model, but she seems louder and a little more light footed than my NRM black model. I've taken out the spring over the pony truck, which seemed to be quite a hard spring. Traction has improved, but I'm not totally convinced it performs as well as the older model.

Maybe a running in period is required? You mention it's noisy....hopefully that isn't a gear assembly problem which can and does afflict Hornby steam model locos.If in doubt,my advice is to exchange it asap.

Archived