?Dronefanning"

trisonic

WARNING: Before using any of these devices please check your Country’s, State’s, Counties and City laws and ordinances. Don’t use them where illegal. Don’t overfly rail yards or anywhere where permission is required and you don’t have it!

Be safe rather than sorry.

In the October 2014 edition of RailPace Newsmagazine is an article on using drones to obtain photographs. Four pages long it is very informative. As it is easy to either over or under estimate the size of drone required  the author Ken Houghton has experience to make certain recommendations.  It is worth obtaining a copy to read detailed explanations on what is required and what isn’t. 

For example the drone he uses (the Phantom 2 Vision Plus http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus) includes a lightweight yet effective camera - if you insist on using your DSLR you must be aware that weight is everything and the drone might have to be much bigger and more expensive. Included WiFi, camera controlled by smart phone. GPS included - which allows the drone to be positioned, the RC to be put down and it stays in position (probably difficult in gale force winds)!

Street price of about $1299.00 US.

This is just your starter for ten - if you’ve already had experiences with Dronefanning (I didn’t invent the term) this is a good place to share them.

I have no connection with RailPace, Ken Houghton or Phantom and nothing to gain from these people/organizations.

Many other devices are available.  As with anything else research will repay dividends in the long term.

I’m aware that we will probably be flooded with photographs from the air in the future but it is an interesting subject...

Best, Pete.

HI Pete,

yes a very interesting read there and as shown in the Dawlish flood repair thread where a drone footage was shown in the use of the scale of repairs done or to be done. I think we will see more use of this technology head in to this rail hobby side, whether it`s snap shots of locos or stock, to webcams of rail yards and where some have cams for their layouts for folk to watch. I fear sadly that as more of this is used to benefit / share with others there will be some who over step the mark break rules and cause problems giving others in the hobby a bad name. Still be interesting times ahead of great footage raw and new that will get captured by them.

I think the NYPD already have, teaky.  They brought one down only this morning because it illegally flew within 50’ of one of their choppers...

Best, Pete.

maybe they were just seeing if skycops had the same coffee n dougnuts as the ground cops ha ha

I too enjoyed the Dawlish footage, but I'm aware that drones are already upsetting regular photographers when used inconsiderately.

There was an article in Steam Railway a few months ago, following an introduction to drone photography another month or so before, that included a regular photo with a drone just above a locomotive. I believe it was crossing Victoria Bridge on the SVR. I've not seen one in action at a railway, but apparently they are quite noisy too.

I do worry that as these drones become more commonplace, you will see less skilled people flying them, creating some dangerous situations.

I'm not totally against them though! As an occasional novelty they are fantastic. They are also great for getting to hard to reach areas. I do think that they have their place, but must be used in a considerate and safe fashion.

- Fantastic video of the Bluebell's U class. Credit to Skyview360 (if that's required for youtube videos?)

Some absurd comments on that thread. Railroads managed to suffer accidents when no drones were around!

These ones are quite tiny with electric motors and most people will not even notice the  bloody things.....

I thought that you wanted to know whether a1/87 scale model was available, Jack!

Best, Pete.

I hadn’t even thought of that, Jack................

I suppose there is more of a chance of keeping them out of the control of “Officialdom” over here rather than in the UK.......we shall see.

And there will be the pervs who will hover the things outside young ladies bathroom and bedroom windows ....... and then put the footage on the internet..... it ain't going to be long !

Of course people do that now with regular cameras, anyway.

Best, Pete.

The motors are getting quieter and the regulations more stringent. 

If this is the case, I feel more positive towards them!

Some absurd comments on that thread. Railroads managed to suffer accidents when no drones were around!

These ones are quite tiny with electric motors and most people will not even notice the  bloody things.....

I'm sure they would prefer not to have added risk though. Lives would not be at risk if one were to crash and/or have a mechanical failure directly above the running line/a locomotive*, but it would certainly cause an inconvenience to the railway.

When it comes to the noise, I'm paraphrasing something I read in a respectable magazine a few months ago. If this is not the case, I apologise.

* Edit: Except perhaps, for those who have to retrieve the drone

Interesting - the Bluebell shots give a good idea of what the layout should look like from the normal viewing angle (for a layout). The Southern loco seemed to emit very little smoke in some shots - it almost looked like a model - a result of the angle.

Some inspirational material on the appearance of vegetation from above as well - now all I need to do is move the "inspiration" onto an actual layout.....

If this is the case, I feel more positive towards them!

I'm sure they would prefer not to have added risk though. Lives would not be at risk if one were to crash and/or have a mechanical failure directly above the running line/a locomotive*, but it would certainly cause an inconvenience to the railway.

When it comes to the noise, I'm paraphrasing something I read in a respectable magazine a few months ago. If this is not the case, I apologise.

* Edit: Except perhaps, for those who have to retrieve the drone

Tom, I respect your opinions.

Whilst it is used for stills most usage is for movies, if they are too noisy they would not be suitable. Maybe Ian’s  40 quid specials are the noisy sort!

One interesting aspect of the model linked to in my OP is that it figures when the power left is getting low and will automatically return to base. Similarly if it detects it is out of radio range it will backtrack it’s path until it picks up the signal once more.

Best, Pete.

Edit: I deleted the sound part because a lot of them do not include sound.....

We get the proper RAF / ARMY ones overhead - training / on exercise - Boscombe & Salisbury Plain - am amazed how noisy they are perhaps that's part of the deterrent effect to keep the baddies heads down ?

They are considerably larger than these and presumably the ones you see are jet engine powered.

The longest length of the one in my OP is rotor to rotor and that is 35cm.

Best, Pete.

I too enjoyed the Dawlish footage, but I'm aware that drones are already upsetting regular photographers when used inconsiderately.

I know what you are getting at Tom but I do think that some professionals are experimenting with this technology - and good luck to them...

The Bluebell footage really is beautiful.

Best, Pete.

reading some of the comments above I must admit I had some reservations and again to the Dawlish thread got me thinking about things. Anyway to cut a long story short I went to a firm that sells these from 4 rotor to 10 rotor versions, the impressive thing is even the small toy like ones can come packed with impressive technology built-in, yes there`s the muck about have a laugh works with-in 50 meters max etc. But even many small ones come with built in GPS with return to base as Pete says or a hover stop which seams to come in two versions.

1)  come to a hover stop then descend to ground -  good if in open area not so good if  in woodland like.

2)  hover stop again  then back trace too find signal etc.

There is the  pro version  ( as I call it ) return to base or if base signal cannot be found for whatever reason if finds safe place to land and can text / email you its precise location for retrieval.  I was impressed on even how quiet even the octocopters are even some of the smalls are only above a whisper in noise.

The two video`s above are stunning in giving a view normal only seen if a expensive helicopter used, the OZ vid makes you want to book a ticket now to travel the line alone. So I see a great better future for railways & model form with this technology. 

• RMweb Gold

Having run foul of the law whilst taking photos of trains in Australia the other day I wonder how long it will be before someone makes the photographing infrastructure / terrorist threat connection?

Surely a good tool for anyone planning nasties in this day and age to get info about areas that they would not otherwise have access to?

Having run foul of the law whilst taking photos of trains in Australia the other day I wonder how long it will be before someone makes the photographing infrastructure / terrorist threat connection?

Surely a good tool for anyone planning nasties in this day and age to get info about areas that they would not otherwise have access to?

That’s a bit of a fallacy, Phil. Anyone with money can rent a helicopter with pilot to do exactly the same thing. Usually the sort of people that you mention have quite large budgets.

After a number of harassment suits in the NY area the railroads have agreed that "rail fans “ have a part in seeing / spotting things that don’t look right and have agreed that they can photograph anything so long as they don’t trespass. I have an email from a director of public relations of a major US railroad agreeing with this.

Best, Pete.

reading some of the comments above I must admit I had some reservations and again to the Dawlish thread got me thinking about things. Anyway to cut a long story short I went to a firm that sells these from 4 rotor to 10 rotor versions, the impressive thing is even the small toy like ones can come packed with impressive technology built-in, yes there`s the muck about have a laugh works with-in 50 meters max etc. But even many small ones come with built in GPS with return to base as Pete says or a hover stop which seams to come in two versions.

1)  come to a hover stop then descend to ground -  good if in open area not so good if  in woodland like.

2)  hover stop again  then back trace too find signal etc.

There is the  pro version  ( as I call it ) return to base or if base signal cannot be found for whatever reason if finds safe place to land and can text / email you its precise location for retrieval.  I was impressed on even how quiet even the octocopters are even some of the smalls are only above a whisper in noise.

The two video`s above are stunning in giving a view normal only seen if a expensive helicopter used, the OZ vid makes you want to book a ticket now to travel the line alone. So I see a great better future for railways & model form with this technology. 

The model mentioned in my OP can do all that. It is about $1299.00 US street (incl Camera, WiFi and GPS - necessary for the fail safe features).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

That’s a bit of a fallacy, Phil. Anyone with money can rent a helicopter with pilot to do exactly the same thing. Usually the sort of people that you mention have quite large budgets.

After a number of harassment suits in the NY area the railroads have agreed that "rail fans “ have a part in seeing / spotting things that don’t look right and have agreed that they can photograph anything so long as they don’t trespass. I have an email from a director of public relations of a major US railroad agreeing with this.

Best, Pete.

Oh, I don't know...seeing a helicopter buzzing round out of bounds areas might just give the game away, whereas a drone could do it with rather less attention being drawn to it.

Just supposition though.

I will not argue with you about it, Phil- anything is possible.

I just don’t accept it as an excuse to ban the “peaceful” use of drones - most of which are made in China and available to anyone in the World anyway.

If everyone is happy about photography of the railway being banned for such reasons so be it, I happen to think that such restrictions should be fought.

One thing I’ve noticed in my lifetime is this. Restrictive laws will stop law-abiding people from doing something - anyone who wants to break the law doesn’t give one hoot.....

Best, Pete.

Archived