?Dronefanning"

trisonic

Sorry, I left off the 425 KV three phase power line for sake of clarity. Power is not a problem :declare:

Its a DX format camera so the 18mm to 300mm zoom gives it an effective zoom of around 450mm. Remotely controlled of course via the very nice Nikon app on my iPhone.

It's a shame to see the myths and problems showing themselves so early in the life of something potentially brilliant. Drones/UAVs are something I was involved in a few years ago, both for the military and the private sector and their capabilities are brilliant.

Firstly lets get the military side out of the way. Their UAVs are NOTHING like what us mere mortals are able to get hold of. They are louder because their vision and weapons capabilities along with their effective range require proper engines, not the electric motors or 3cc petrol motors available to civilians. To compare the noise of the 2 is like comparing an RC plane to an F22. As for using a drone against military/government instillation in the UK, why would you bother? As somebody has already mentioned, Google Earth is more than adequate these days and carries far less risk to the person requiring the information.

Personally I see no real problem with the rules from the CAA linked by Andy Y. They seem focussed more on safety for people and other aircraft than trying to limit what people can do. Good to see they've already foreseen the problem of filming or broadcasting live events such as a football match or a concert, as this is something where a drone could easily fall foul of copyright laws in the same way 'Vine' videos have been noticed by the Premier League and Sky.

I think the thing that worries me most though is the attitude of other people who think drones will interfere with their own activities. "I don't want to hear the sound of a drone filming a train while I'm filming the same train." To me this comes across as a very arrogant and selfish attitude, and could be the thing that stops a great technology from progressing further. Especially as it's said by people who crowd round the end of a station platform tutting at parents and children who dare to walk in front of their camera because they also wish to see the train. The funny part is they can't see that while complaining of drones ruining their experience, they are ruining the experience of other people who just wish to walk near the train or see it from the front/side/wherever.

As I said earlier I was involved in the development and use of drones, and while I can't discuss the military stuff the other uses we used them for were brilliant. They are now becoming more popular in the marine industry, particularly on superyachts where they can have multiple uses. One captain I was working with is of the opinion he wouldn't be without a drone on board, and he uses his nearly every day. It is ideal as a way to inspect parts of the vessel which are inaccessible normally while it is in the water or underway. He can check a port he is visiting before entering, and see his berth from any angle he wants allowing him to plan his manoeuvres with as much information as possible. He has also incorporated the drone into his man-overboard procedures, as soon as the alarm is raised the drone is launched and either sent to the GPS location or used to search for the person in the water. And this is without mentioning some of the amazing videos drones have captured of these beautiful yachts underway or the amazing places they visit.

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing drone/UAV technology develop.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Isn't this the time to get the problems associated with these things sorted out before everyone and his dog has one? I can see that they are fun, and in the hands of responsible people will open up huge new areas of things to see.

However, what happens when the t**ts get hold of them? Perhaps they will decide to spy on your nubile daughter sunbathing in the supposed privacy of your garden...would you be so happy about them then?

Perhaps having to have a licence to operate them might be the way to go, not foolproof but at least some sort of pond life filter.

People that are prepared to break laws will break laws....

Why shouldn’t anyone and his dog have one anyway if they want one? Who has the right to say who should have and who should not, the Government? Just let the Government spy on us?

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way, Phil, yes, protect people’s privacy with harsh penalties but should that stop someone from using one to take some amazing films of the world or even trains?

Er, I think I’ve used enough question marks....sorry Phil, I’m just heartily sick of any government thinking they know better what to do with something than me. Past records of faceless bureaucrats have not been great.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I like it!

Yep and the US have a system that can detect incoming rifle rounds in to a city environment by a series of roof top detectors and then fire an extremely fast missile to where  the the bullets trajectory indicated it started  before the bullet itself strikes it’s target. Supposedly tested in Sarajevo in the nineties......

With new drones being so cheap (and the size of a dragonfly) who will be broke first?

I thought catapults were illegal in the UK? The Police thought so when I was young, dammit!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Catapults were only illegal if you nicked some knickers off a washing line for the elastic.....

(Yep, I know that's lame but it's being written in Abu Dhabi airport after 15 hours on planes with another 7 to go. Cured my love of travel...)

I like it!

Yep and the US have a system that can detect incoming rifle rounds in to a city environment by a series of roof top detectors and then fire an extremely fast missile to where  the the bullets trajectory indicated it started  before the bullet itself strikes it’s target. Supposedly tested in Sarajevo in the nineties......

With new drones being so cheap (and the size of a dragonfly) who will be broke first?

I thought catapults were illegal in the UK? The Police thought so when I was young, dammit!

Best, Pete.

I like it!

Best, Pete.

Unfortunately Pete that is a bit of an urban myth, oddly made up with a few facts....

Such a system does exist as you describe, but not for 'bullets'. It's the Israeli Iron Dome system which can detect a missile launch and fire a counter-missile to destroy the incoming projectile.

The reason such a system couldn't work for bullets from a gun is a simple case of speed - a bullet travels at upto 3000fps, the loud bang you hear when a gun fires is the bullet going supersonic. There isn't a system in the world capable of reacting fast enough to locate the source of a gunshot and launch another projectile before the first bullet hits its target.

There is however a DF type system that is used to locate the source of enemy gunfire and in relatively open ground it is pretty accurate. The problems arise when you introduce buildings made from different materials which absorb and reflect sound differently. Buildings made predominantly of concrete opposite buildings with mostly glass frontage will trick such a system quite easily into mistaking the source of the gunshot. This is made more difficult when the gunfire is sporadic, mixed with similar sounds such as a construction site, and with many objects between the source and the listening post.

The only way to overcome all those problems? LOTS and LOTS of listening posts which are all linked and can triangulate a position. Not really practical or available 'yet'.

Mark

Best use of a drone cam yet! Its not obvious that they are using a drone until later in the video, be patient, its worth it!

10.5 million hits in a week, that's pretty impressive for a band that people forgot existed...

There is a making of video, but it doesn't really talk about the drone unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/iSd0kg_fCSE

In the new year I'll be attempting to take some aerial video to assist the scenic work on our next layout. After the Preston and District Model Railway Society current model of Bee Lane, just south of Preston we're moving slightly further south for the next layout at Euxton. I think there will some use to be made of high resolution photographs from appropriate heights to duplicate the eyeline onto the model at a show.

Dave

I am not sure if this has been covered in the pages above but I have a question that relates to ordinary photography with one's feet firmly on the ground.

If you are standing on public property you can take a photograph of a private house, but if you step inside the garden of that property it is my understanding that the photograph taken on private property is not allowed (note I did not see illegal as I am not sure of the laws that are being broken).  So, going aloft, when the drone crosses over from public to private property, is the photography from that point on also not allowed?  Is this where the 50 meter rule applies?

As much as I like some of the drone films I do have my reservations about privacy, including snooping and scoping prior to a burglary.  Google Earth is not a real time service, droning has distinct advantages/disadvantages depending on your point of view.  If an expensive collection of brass locomotives were to be stolen after a drone scoped out an upstairs railway room would we be so keen on the technology?

Archived