RMweb

Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

You could get a few packs from Howes off the Heljan warship. All the bits are listed in the web site

You beat me to it Steve, as long as the radius is reasonable they should work well.

ATVB

CME

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but at £6 per 1 buffer step & 8 steps needed for my four Warships, it seems a tad expensive  :O

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but at £6 per 1 buffer step & 8 steps needed for my four Warships, it seems a tad expensive  :O

Sorry, I hadn't looked at the price Phill, some of the Heljan spares are a bargain and others go to the other extreme, this seems to be one of those occasions, I guess its a time vs cost vs accuracy vs level of detail type situations?

ATVB

CME

Hi Phill...

I'm intrigued by the photos....seems to me that you've sliced the Anker casing in half and the bluetooth module is in one unit with the speaker in the other???

Have you noticed any reduction on sound quality because the speaker is now out of the integral "soundbox"?

I'm guessing that the size and power of the amplifier and speaker makes your modified arrangement satisfactory...

Will you be able to do an outdoor soundcheck before next year's running season because I'm itching to hear the results????

Randall

Hi Randall,

It is indeed cut in half, but the speaker & it's housing are still intact. I have kept the circuit board & battery in the rest of the box as this protects the on/off switch & charging socket. I reduced the speaker section as much as possible without affecting sound quality but unfortunately it still wouldn't fit, so after a bit of head scratching I have lowered the entire chassis into the body & I will have to add spacers to the bogies to bring in back to the correct ride height........but the speaker does now fit & sounds great, so a result at last !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob, I look forward to seeing your build :).....are you going to Telford this year?

I got the McGeechen from Ebay about a year ago, but I have no idea how old it is?. There is an article in April 2001 BRM in which Steve Harrod  builds a McGeechan Warship, but  the kit is out of production then & he mentions that Malcolm McGeechan sold the moulds to the late Colin Massingham MTK Kits (El Crappo) . It goes on to mention that Nationalised Railways(Model Express) purchased the master moulds (presumably after Colin's death) & had released the body kit back on the market ....possibly in the 1990's?

The Model Express uses the old moulds from this kit, but the main difference  is the McGeechan uses real glass embedded in the body mould for all the glazing.

If anyone can fill in the gaps in the history of the Malcolm McGeechan Wasrhip kits history, I would love to hear from you !   :)

I finally dug my untouched Model Express version out of the loft today and the receipt was from 2001 (not surprising as I bought it after reading that article). Popped it on ebay tonight and it sold within 5 mins. Either I've just diddled myself or someone is very inspired by your work: lets assume the latter!

• Like 1

I finally dug my untouched Model Express version out of the loft today and the receipt was from 2001 (not surprising as I bought it after reading that article). Popped it on ebay tonight and it sold within 5 mins. Either I've just diddled myself or someone is very inspired by your work: lets assume the latter!

I don't think I have ever seen a finished Model Express Warship other than mine, which is quite sad really  :scratchhead:

I don't think I have ever seen a finished Model Express Warship other than mine, which is quite sad really  :scratchhead:

It is Phill, I think though that as the tooling/mould has aged the challenges with the body became apparent and folk who are brave enough to buy - perhaps on an impulse and with good intent - then dont want to have to face the challenge. More strength to your elbow!

If it hadnt been for a significant birthday this year then I would have gone the same route as you, but I only 'need' one Warship so I am delighted with the Heljan version. I understand that the old Tower Models/DJH version is back in production to special order too, that was a nice, if heavy, model, pricier than ME version of course and at this point in time the Heljan may provide better VFM. Pete Waterman told a small crowd of us that he had one in development, yet that has been, for obvious reasons, put on the back burner for now.

I have been, destroying old Lima BSKs in preparation to widen and lengthen them and such like, as this is a creative hobby, I find such - now that I have an MO for building them - quite enjoyable and therapeutic.

Keep up the good work Phill, very inspiring!!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Phil,

That looks a superb job on Druid, just need to wait for some sun to phot her now :)

Are the sounds those that you recorded at ELR last year?

Just out of interest, how much does the loco weigh?

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee , I'm glad you like her  :)

The sounds are all sorts of camcorder recordings of Onslaught & Greyhound, but yes they do include some from that day at the ELR.

I haven't actually weighed the loco, but she is not especially heavy........more kit built weight rather than Heljan weight.  Druid has no extra ballast weight but she does have 12 AA batteries, R/C gear, Bluetooth speaker, one power bogie & an 1/8 aluminium plate chassis which collectively gives her a good compromise between good traction & long running hours between charges.    

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Western Prince's first start up at Withercombe this evening......

She is going back in the works for a much needed tidy up now though  :O

Phwoah!!  1015 sounds good, was that recorded at Blaunau Ffestiniog or on the SVR Phil??

What's to tidy on Western Prince... looks excellent to me  :good:

Thanks for posting the vid.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills