The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Argy-bargy for Top Gear!

EddieB

Honestly I don't really know what to think of this. Although it does have certain similarities to the aforementioned US episode, from the sounds of it it just happened to be the area of Argentina that happened to have strong feelings over the war. I very much doubt that - if the article is true - a small matter over a inconsequential number plate was worth the violence that ensued. I can't believe that Clarkson & co would intentionally provoke anger from the Argentinians, especially with Jeremy being on a final warning. And from that article it sounds like there was genuine threat to life of all on the production team. I guess that all will be revealed when this is broadcast!

GJ 

• RMweb Premium

The thing that I find amusing about Clarkson is that he has built a career out of being a bit of a shock jock saying things that are calculated to wind people up yet people watch him and then get offended. This may sound like a statement of the obvious but why watch somebody who you know holds opinions that are going to get under your skin? Or is getting worked up into a fit of self righteous indignation the whole point for some?

On a slightly more serious note, the likes of Shaun McMahon, Martyn Bane and Martin Coombes have fostered co-operation and made significant contributions to the restoration, operation and study of railways in southern Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. 

I would be surprised if the Top Gear team made no provocation (Clarkson can't even stop himself making reference to the "Gotcha" headline in his "defence"), but the co-ordinated violence unleashed in Ushuaia was out of all proportion and whoever is behind it was determined to set Anglo-Argentinian relations back by a few decades.

It's a great pity as there's so much our two countries could benefit from better relations.  Argentina is one of the most beautiful and diverse countries and would make a great tourist destination.

If it wasn't for the Falklands invasion and war, the "hand of God" incident, "animals" and Rattin sent off in the 1966 World Cup, blaming the import of Argentian beef for the foot and mouth outbreak of the 'sixties, the Welsh exiled in bitterness to Patagonia, the influx of German-speaking "Swiss" to the Bariloche area after WW2, the Boer commando "Bitter Enders" who were exiled to Argentina rather than surrendar to the British forces....

yet people watch him and then get offended.

Actually they mostly don't watch him and get offended anyway. I forget the actual figures but of the bazillion complaints the BBC received about his shooting public sector workers comment, about twelve had actually seen the clip when it was first broadcast.

Just to add a note of fact finding to the Clarkson Bashing. I checked the Vehicle Enquiry form online and there is Porsche 928 registered as H982FKL which is taxed to 1st May and MOT till 6th June (or rather there used ti be?)

So the claim that the reg no was a coincidence is pretty much proven. It sounds like a failure of the research people at Top Gear who should be able to ensure the safety of all involved in the making of such a programme.

Check for yourself if you want https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

.... is getting worked up into a fit of self righteous indignation the whole point for some?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

In passing, I could also mention the unholy row over "The Satanic Verses". Most of those up in arms about it hadn't even read the book. I did, from cover, and I have to say the book was the biggest waste of time since "How To Learn French" was translated into...French. It was as unfathomable as one of Samuel Beckett's plays.

The argies kicking up a fuss about something like this is a bit ironic considering they made a promotional film showing one of their athletes training in the Falklands and going past a war memorial, and this was all in the build up to the 2012 Olympics which of course was held over here!

From my point of view, ..(In no particular order)...The BBC Film Crew + Mssrs. J.May, R.Hammond and, one J.Clarkson,  have provided me with hours of motorised entertainment.....The sooner the Argies, and others, catch on,.... the better.

Whether the purchase of H982 FKL was purely coincidental, I cannot believe (well actually I can given the Beeb's recent track record) that no-one even considered that it might be regarded as provocative.  At a time when relations between our countries were thawing, a jolly jape threatens not only that fragile harmony, but seriously endangered the lives of a number of people involved in the production - to say nothing of British tourists and business people caught up in the violence and anti-British passions it has aroused.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I quite enjoy watching Top Gear.  I'm also glad of a bit of humour that goes beyond the restraints of political correctness.  In all instances, however, a risk assessment ought to be carried out before a script goes too far and causes an international incident.  Oh, too late, it already has.

The argies kicking up a fuss about something like this is a bit ironic considering they made a promotional film showing one of their athletes training in the Falklands and going past a war memorial

He didn't go past the memorial. He did step training on it.

Having read Clarksons piece on  what happened, the numberplate in queston had been removed within two days of arriving in the country. It sounds like some local politico using this as a excuse to whip the locals up into a frenzy to distract them from problems closer to home.

...especially with Jeremy being on a final warning...

Surely that wil have expired by now? The currency of final warnings was pretty short, something in the three to six month range, when I last had anything to do with this 'oh be joyful' aspect of employement law. And the currency often ran from date of the unacceptable event, which meant that the warning expired very shortly after imposition following the rejection of the final appeal.

Mind you, if they have been made life-time permanent, that's very good news. I might almost be tempted to go back into people management.

The argies kicking up a fuss about something like this is a bit ironic considering they made a promotional film showing one of their athletes training in the Falklands and going past a war memorial, and this was all in the build up to the 2012 Olympics which of course was held over here!

I was just about to put that, they always kick off about the war occasionally so I wasn't really surprised by this

As I've no real interest in modern cars, the only "Top Gear" that I've watched for more than a few minutes is the London-Edinburgh "race", with "Tornado", the Jaguar XK120 and the Vincent Black Shadow - beautiful, characterful machines all. Jeremy Clarkson's variety of silliness on the programme doesn't amuse me; however he does entertain me when he appears on "QI", where he isn't top dog and works well with the other zanies.

And the TV programme that he presented on Convoy PQ17 was exemplary - well-balanced, factually accurate, passionate yet restrained.

Well, that's a load of cr*p. What is it, some sort of football anthem? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for poking a little fun (re: the subject of this thread), but it's sh*te like that that gives Brits abroad a bad name. No wonder we're almost globally despised. Shame. Rant over.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's a load of cr*p. What is it, some sort of football anthem? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for poking a little fun (re: the subject of this thread), but it's sh*te like that that gives Brits abroad a bad name. No wonder we're almost globally despised. Shame. Rant over.

That's from a very long-time ago - I heard it in the mid-80's when it was a current subject and considered funny in certain quarters. Most people in this country won't have heard of the Macc Lads, so I don't suppose it will have escaped far from these shores, if at all.

I think in top gear he behaves how the script/plot expects him to. He seems much more bearable on other programs.

A few years ago, Clarkson wrote in his column in Top Gear magazine that he himself writes the scripts for the show.

Ahh, what a blast from the past. I suspect that those who both remember the Macc Lads and are prepared to admit to it are thin on the ground ;).

Quite. I think the first time I heard it was in the Globe Bar (Stanley) on one of my first visits to the Falklands - the Fray Bentons/Chips n' gravy lines have stuck with me!

Archived