RMweb

Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

" I can't see any references to Axminster carpets or the Cob in the poem so am not sure why that has been brought up but clearly the  Lyme Regis branch has major connections to the last 3 Radials"

I cant see how anyone could fail to see the meaning of my riddle once its explained.

The reason both things were brought up via the riddle was to link with the Axminster to Lyme Regis branch and its motive power

Highland Railway 103 it aint.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

" I can't see any references to Axminster carpets or the Cob in the poem so am not sure why that has been brought up but clearly the  Lyme Regis branch has major connections to the last 3 Radials"

I cant see how anyone could fail to see the meaning of my riddle once its explained.

The reason both things were brought up via the riddle was to link with the Axminster to Lyme Regis branch and its motive power

Highland Railway 103 it aint.

Regards

Your riddle made perfect sense to me although I only (easily) got the 'cob' part of it, the Wiltshire bit alas left me slightly confused until you explained the Wilton = Axminster theme.

Your riddle made perfect sense to me although I only (easily) got the 'cob' part of it, the Wiltshire bit alas left me slightly confused until you explained the Wilton = Axminster theme.

Hi Stationmaster,

Sorry if I caused confussion with the floor covering part of the riddle.

Hope you enjoyed solving it though.

Regards

• Like 2

I can't see any references to Axminster carpets or the Cob in the poem so am not sure why that has been brought up but clearly the  Lyme Regis branch has major connections to the last 3 Radials,

Let's not confuse your riddle with the reference to the poem here.  I don't think anyone failed to understand the meaning of the riddle. It is separate from the poem which, so far, seems to be more in keeping with the Halloween spirit - perhaps involving an engine driver that met an untimely end on a foggy Samhain* - than locomotive guessing games.

Your riddle was not something I could decipher (English geography is not my strong suit) and Kidderminster was the first railway/carpet reference I thought of (not in Wiltshire either). Happily, the cobs and Axminster do make perfect sense in relationship to an Adams radial tank.  It was a good riddle and people tweaked to it - certainly clearer than the poem.

At this point I don't see anything but an Adams design in the fog - the radial tank, the T3 or even the X2, though the latter fits much less well now. Of those, correlating polling data, the radial tank is the only logical conclusion.

* An engine driver who made an unscheduled stop on a foggy night - his terminus, the Twilight Zone.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

Your riddle was not something I could decipher (English geography is not my strong suit) and Kidderminster was the first railway/carpet reference I thought of.

Ah, Kidderminster....  Near to Cradley Heath you see.  

Class 139, I've told you all before  :angel:

• Like 1

Hi Stationmaster,

Sorry if I caused confussion with the floor covering part of the riddle.

Hope you enjoyed solving it though.

Regards

Actually found your riddle amusing. When I was at primary school (sigh) we had a school trip to Wilton to see the carpet factory (really can't imagine why) but also went to Stonehenge, long before the baracades went up. Since this was when the southern was still steam powered we traveled from Waterloo, on what must have been a journey of nightmare for the teachers, behind a Bulleid pacific if my memory serves me right.   So I've actually been there.

I believe in SR days there was a train that was non-stop through Salisbury but still craftily stopped at Wilton to take on water.

Since it's Halloween, the new loco could well belong to the Adams family.

• Like 1

The thing that interests me, is why, in Oxfordrail's image(s), the chimney appears to be painted in Company colours*, and not Black ?. From prototype, pre-Grouping, images I've seen, the Adams Radial, the T3 and the Jones Goods, all were Black.....(I could be wrong, tho') 

* On second thoughts,....maybe,.... it could just be froth

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Found it!  I was wrong.  It's not an Adams Radial after all.  Look: correct extended front apron, appropriate colour, front pony truck...

post-9672-0-83840200-1414786290.jpg

Edited by teaky
  • Like 6

Hi  Black Rat   Is this some sort of religious thing ??  As I am a firm believer in accurate scale models and rivet counting this analogy seems to have escaped me.     Personally I find walking on water great,  provided it's nowhere near as deep as my wellies     adrianbs

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The last verse of poem as it is:

How did he look - was he strong.

Did he die, or am I wrong?

The truth is there for me to find.

And so this story will unwind.

So maybe whatever it is will be driven by clockwork - that'll give the DCC boys something to scratch their heads over............

John

• Like 1

When I was looking at Oxford Diecast's website, musing as to whether the layout actually needed any more vehicles, I noticed a link to Triang. This turned out to be for Triang Minic 1:1200 scale ships.  I've got just a few of the original ship recognition scale models from the 50s and 60s which I picked up some years ago, not expensive and they take up very little room (unlike model railways  :-) ).  There now seems to be a new range, look like some good little models of newer ships in the style of the old models..

So my question is, just as a matter of interest and relating to model railways,  what happened to the Tri-ang name? It didn't go with Hornby after Lines Bros folded (I think) but doesn't seem to have been re-used. (presumably Tri-ang Minic is a separate  trade-mark needing both names?) 

Just intrigued.

Thanks.

So my question is, just as a matter of interest and relating to model railways,  what happened to the Tri-ang name? It didn't go with Hornby after Lines Bros folded (I think) but doesn't seem to have been re-used. (presumably Tri-ang Minic is a separate  trade-mark needing both names?) 

"Tri-ang" was recently used by Tri-ang Toys - a manufacturer of bouncy castles and other inflatable playground toys like slides.  I don't know if they are still in business with this brand, but they're clearly on the web.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Funny you should say that, actually it was before the first Stones record came out. (but only just!) Preferred the Beatles more myself, but  they did get quite a following.  Oh, Come On!!     :)

Even longer ago than I thought then....

Hi  Black Rat   Is this some sort of religious thing ??  As I am a firm believer in accurate scale models and rivet counting this analogy seems to have escaped me.     Personally I find walking on water great,  provided it's nowhere near as deep as my wellies     adrianbs

My uncle once worked in a power station which had a number of cooling towers. One day one of the power station staff was showing a visiting senior manager round the towers. The tour ended on the opposite side of the cooling ponds to where it had begun. Noticing that the senior manager (like himself) was wearing wellingtons, his guide suggested that they could take a shortcut back across the pond "But step exactly where I do". The guide set off across the pond, the water lapping around his ankles, so the senior manager followed him ... and disappeared!

He hadn't realised that the pond was 6' deep, with 5'10" posts submerged at regular intervals.... 

• Like 1