Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I have to commend Oxford Rail with the marvelous work they have done getting people spun up in anticipation of their new product - ten pages of much ado about not a lot.

They're really doing it well too - obscured illustrations, count-down timers and riddles in rhyme. Quite impressive marketing really without really saying a single thing. Good for them and good luck to them.

Regarding recent evolutions of this thread, for many years I never really understood the expression 'teaching your grandmother to suck eggs'. (I understood it literally, but thought it an odd example to use to make the point.) I understand it better now.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6

I apologize to you and Bachmann UK, that response from Bachmann UK had not been published at the time I read the original e-mail.  It makes sense now, when using sub-contractors it is a good idea to give quantities required for the year as this can reduce the price.  I would suggest Bachmann supply that notice of policy to the retailers for them to display to the public, this would ensure people would pre-order in time.  Kernow did this a couple of years ago with their Beattie Well Tank in 7mm scale, the pre-orders were below the required number and so the project got cancelled.

I have no axe to grind with Bachmann, as I have stated I model the other side of the pond and have several Bachmann products and no complaints about any.  They are accurate and run well, yes there have been reported problems but I have not had any.

As far as the British scene, I get to see many 4mm offerings from Bachmann and Hornby due to my son switching back from 7mm scale to 4mm scale.  The best model he has in his collection is a Kernow Beattie Well Tank, it is a gem.  The other model which impressed me is the Bachmann City of Truro done for the NRM, that model would not look out of place on Pendon.  It is a good model to compliment his Finney Bulldog.

Loconuts

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

First off I reckon it's an Adams radial.  Then I suspect they will be 'wishlist skimming' but going for smaller engines in order to keep the costs down so a study of past wishlist results might tell a story.  there seems to be little coming out of what they might have looked at in the real world as any sort of guide, for example I understand that they haven't done any measuring or scanning on the surviving radial (but then equally that might mean they are going to announce something else!).

If you look at the top end of the 2013 00 poll there are 3 BR Standards, all relatively small, none yet announced,; the LNER K1 (Hornby); the Adams radial (at least 3 and possibly 4 companies were working on it - how many will still announce is a matter for conjecture);  SR S15 (no news or hints); Class 120 dmu (haven't got a clue but could be a natural for Realtrack?); Class 71 (DJM); LSWR 700 (Hornby); the third standard - 84XXX 2-6-2T (no news or hints) and the same goes for the SR U; LNER J15 (Hornby); LBSCR H2 atlantic (Bachmann); SR H 0-4-4T (no news  or hints); SR (original) MN - again no news or hints;  GWR steam railmotor.

That's all the loco/traction items in the top 20 of last year's poll and what is currently in the public arena for all of them, as far as I can say.  Logically if Oxford Rail are wishlist skimming and going for smaller locos their first choice would be the H even tho' it involves making a workable 0-4-4T from a seemingly inexperienced starting point, the other one would be the 84XXX standard 2-6-2T as Bachmann don't so far have seemed to move towards doing it although it would be a natural for them.

Hi Mike

I fear it is one of the Lyme Regis  locos as there appears to be steam comming from the dome, which suggest it is one fitted with a Dummond boiler. The HR Jones Goods had its safety valves in the right place, on the fire box. :rtfm:

Anyhow what's with the H class 0-4-4T, if people want a proper 0-4-4T what about a MR Johnson one.........they also came in blue for the Slow and Dirty :derisive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

..............  SR S15 (no news or hints); ................

The one SR loco that people REALLY want ( although I am sure that I could force myself to buy a couple of Adams or "H"'s ).

------

And, although I would never buy one, why has no one announced a GWR Steam-Railmotor ?

Poem now has an added line

His past is hidden from me now.

But be quite clear I make this vow.

To find the truth of why he went.

Those buried thoughts that he has sent.   

The steam, the dust, which filled his eyes.

The coal, the sweat, that made him cry.

The heat, the smoke, which made him die.

Oh why, oh why, oh why, oh why...   

Who is this man that I can't see.

If their road vehicles are anything to go by, they've opted for some pretty obscure prototypes - BMC training unit, Weymann Fanfare, Commer Commando half-deck etc - which have limited scope for livery variants On that basis, they could be looking at something totally obscure for rail.

• Like 1

More limes have been added

His past is hidden from me now.

But be quite clear I make this vow.

To find the truth of why he went.

Those buried thoughts that he has sent.

The steam, the dust, which filled his eyes.

The coal, the sweat, that made him cry.

The heat, the smoke, which made him die.

Oh why, oh why, oh why, oh why...

Who is this man that I can't see.

Who is this man who lives in me?

His life was short and didn't last.

If their road vehicles are anything to go by, they've opted for some pretty obscure prototypes - BMC training unit, Weymann Fanfare, Commer Commando half-deck etc - which have limited scope for livery variants On that basis, they could be looking at something totally obscure for rail.

Fell?

Stewart

• Like 1

Fell?

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Much as i'd like a Fell - i'm working on the problem and will add it to my fleet eventually, i'm afraid your wrong Mate.

Oxford Rail is starting with a steam loco of far more use to us all..............

......... the Kitson-Still tank engine..........

I'll get my coat.

Regards

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The poetry thing is a pain in the ar*e,

It's turning the whole thing into an almighty farce.

This new loco, what can it be?

Frankly, I would much prefer a nice cup of tea.

An adams radial tank you say,

I have a huge desire to shout hooray!!!

Hang on, three others are building them too,

Just when I'd nipped out to have a poo.

Typical, just like buses, they all come along at once,

Methinks that someone's being a dunce.

Which one will be the best?

If I buy them all, I will end up in my vest.

Have a chat, sort it out.

There are some on here who are bound to pout.

Me, I will just have the one or two or three...

Bu***r! I have to stop, I need a pee

Off to get my coat.....i have left it in the boat....

Rob the knob .

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

That definitely makes it Scottish (or North Eastern) :jester:  

If they are using the under-strength new motors in the Bowser locos that there are complaints on US fora about, (eg  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3551398,3552767#msg-3552767 ) it'll be a "Canardleigh- Dewitt"! If it is an obscure Scottish loco, it may well be the "Langmeyer- Lumreek" 2-2-2

Edited by shortliner

Reminds me of a poem I once saw written on the wall of an old brake van.

"The guard is the man

The man in the van

The van at the end of the train

The driver up front

Thinks the guard is a c$@t

And the guard thinks the drivers the same"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Adams Radial was pretty obscure.  Only three survived past the 1920s, one of those via the Ministry of Munitions and Col. Stephens before being bought back by the Southern in 1946, as they were one of the few things that fitted on a little-used light railway in the south-west.

That definitely makes it Scottish (or North Eastern) :jester:  

Didn't some Adams Radials get loaned to one of the Scottish lines in WW1? 

• RMweb Gold

The Adams Radial was pretty obscure.  Only three survived past the 1920s, one of those via the Ministry of Munitions and Col. Stephens before being bought back by the Southern in 1946, as they were one of the few things that fitted on a little-used light railway in the south-west.

Didn't some Adams Radials get loaned to one of the Scottish lines in WW1? 

Or was the latter working up there on a military railway?