Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of a poem I once saw written on the wall of an old brake van.

"The guard is the man

The man in the van

The van at the end of the train

The driver up front

Thinks the guard is a c$@t

And the guard thinks the drivers the same"

Best attempt yet (sorry to the others!)...!

• Like 1

...Logically if Oxford Rail are wishlist skimming and going for smaller locos their first choice would be the H even tho' it involves making a workable 0-4-4T from a seemingly inexperienced starting point...

I'll bite! Really don't think there is much in it between the Radial and the H, when it comes to packing in a good mechanism.

The first thing not to do on an 0-4-4T is copy Hornby's layout from the M7. I doubt there's another OO/HO 0-4-4T available to copy, so any designer is on their own. But the H does boast a decent pair of side tanks running back from the rear coupled wheelset to the cab: bags of room there for concealing motor and gear train driving the rear coupled axle, leaving the space forward vacant for the largest lump of dense material that can be fitted for mass over the drivers. Decoder socket and space in the bunker, leaving the cab clear.

Now look at the Radial. Tiny little side tanks, a boiler barely bigger than a tea urn, cab that has to be see through. While it may not have the balance problem intrinsic to the 0-4-4T, it's going to need a very carefully arranged miniature mechanism to produce a fully concealed drive.

• Like 1

The man out the back,

Was laying four mil track,

But was vexed by the width of the gauge,

The vagaries of four mil,

Was making him ill,

So he threw out the lot in a rage!

Or how's about.....

The black rat in a car,

Is the worse by far,

And if stopped he's invariably blunt,

When enforcing the law,

he's an incredible bore,

And no doubt you'll think he's a c**+

Don't stop me......I'm on a roll!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

I'll bite! Really don't think there is much in it between the Radial and the H, when it comes to packing in a good mechanism.

The first thing not to do on an 0-4-4T is copy Hornby's layout from the M7. I doubt there's another OO/HO 0-4-4T available to copy, so any designer is on their own. But the H does boast a decent pair of side tanks running back from the rear coupled wheelset to the cab: bags of room there for concealing motor and gear train driving the rear coupled axle, leaving the space forward vacant for the largest lump of dense material that can be fitted for mass over the drivers. Decoder socket and space in the bunker, leaving the cab clear.

Now look at the Radial. Tiny little side tanks, a boiler barely bigger than a tea urn, cab that has to be see through. While it may not have the balance problem intrinsic to the 0-4-4T, it's going to need a very carefully arranged miniature mechanism to produce a fully concealed drive.

Having built an M7 in both 4mm & 7mm scale I know that it is feasible to produce a chassis that stops the usual bunker yawing and balancing the weight distribution.  With the 4mm model I used the Guy Williams method of constructing the chassis as a 0-8-0 with a pivot point behind the rear drivers thus allowing the chassis to flex with front and rear pivots.  In 7mm scale I just reversed the method I used for 4-4-0's involving side control springing and the rear of the loco supported on the centre of the bogie.  The side control springing controlling the swing of the bunker and leading the loco into the curve.

Now on the 7mm scale Adams radial I built the chassis as a 4-6-0 with the rear axle sprung vertically, side control on the front bogie.  The gear drive on the rear axle with the motor pointing forward and contained within the driving wheel wheelbase.  I would think this method would work on a 4mm version and leave room for a decoder, not a problem I had in any of these build as DCC had not been developed then.

Unfortunately chassis design has not been a strong point with RTR manufacturers which has given rise of companies like Brassmasters.

Now look at the Radial. Tiny little side tanks, a boiler barely bigger than a tea urn, cab that has to be see through. 

If anyone feels like spending a large sum of money while they're waiting for the mystery to be revealed, I'm sure the Bluebell Railway would welcome a new live steam tea urn for 488. It would have to be a bit bigger than 4mm Scale, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't some Adams Radials get loaned to one of the Scottish lines in WW1? 

Or was the latter working up there on a military railway?

smegonline says

"Early in 1918 numbers 0480/1/5/7 were sent to Glasgow on their way to help out on the Highland Railway during an acute shortage of locomotives at the end of WW1. They remained there until 1919 for 0480/1 and 1921 for the remaining 0485/7. "

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Adams Radial was pretty obscure.  Only three survived past the 1920s, one of those via the Ministry of Munitions and Col. Stephens before being bought back by the Southern in 1946, as they were one of the few things that fitted on a little-used light railway in the south-west.

Didn't some Adams Radials get loaned to one of the Scottish lines in WW1? 

No more obscure than the Beattie Well tanks and they seem to have done all right as 4mm models.

Also three times less obscure than a certain bright green one-off produced by Hornby that didn't remain in the form modelled for much longer than the time spent by the loaned Radials in Scotland............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

No more obscure than the Beattie Well tanks and they seem to have done all right as 4mm models.

Also three times less obscure than a certain bright green one-off produced by Hornby that didn't remain in the form modelled for much longer than the time spent by the loaned Radials in Scotland............

John

But you know what they say about Big Green Engines!

Perhaps we're missing a hint era-wise? The ads in the mags have Blood'n'Custard backgrounds....   As for the teaser web page and doggerel verse, we've got a tad over 9 days left.  Its going to be a long and frothy 9 days!

(added) Just a thought.  The reveal is mid-day on Saturday 8th November, the mags are out on the 13th. So the ad departments will have the release copy already - has anyone any contacts there???  :O

Edited by Hroth

.... the ad departments will have the release copy already - has anyone any contacts there???  :O

Yes, several.  And they've all told me in utmost secrecy what it is, so I'll be sure to tell this secret forum later as long as you all promise not to tell.

So it's not the F*** then 'Chard?

No, no.  Any RTR manufacturer who were to attempt such a crime against nature would find unspeakable disasters, plagues and pestilence affect them spontaneously.

• Like 1

Cracked it.

It's a DCC controlled 4mm tea urn with smoke generator and boiling water sound effects for those finescale knit-your-own-valve-gear warriors who absolutely must have a fully detailed staff canteen.  Oxford's research department mis-read those of us of a more modern modelling tendency who keep posting about "kettles" and thought that was what we wanted.

Easy mistake to make, really.

• Like 2

Hi,

Think of a seaside resort with a feature from near a North Wales loco works.

Think of a floor covering not in Wiltshire.

Put them together in railway geography and there is the answer.

Regards

Got it. Excellent riddle, hope it is this! (Or you'll be on the carpet... :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two more lines of poetry added, "How did he look - was he strong. Did he die, or am I wrong.". I might be staring at it too much but there appears to be outside cylinders angled back slightly.

The dome is starting to appear. Looks like a pair of safety valves which rules out a T3.

The first boiler ring is also visible, the dome appears to be on the second ring. I thought I'd seen the dome with the safety valves on top a couple of days ago but I wasn't sure, now I think I can see what looks like a Belpaire firebox.

Hi,

Think of a seaside resort with a feature from near a North Wales loco works.

Think of a floor covering not in Wiltshire.

Put them together in railway geography and there is the answer.

Regards

The only north Wales loco works I can think of is Boston Lodge, near Porthmadog.  So, what on Earth is a Criccieth Lino?

The only north Wales loco works I can think of is Boston Lodge, near Porthmadog.  So, what on Earth is a Criccieth Lino?

There's also the Llangollen Railway Engineering Works, with three "new-build" projects (Patriot, Bretton Grange and 4709) in progress, so we've got Conwy, Colwyn Bay, Abergele, Rhyl, Prestatyn and Talacre in striking distance. Great Orme Trams?????  And there's Kidderminster, which in "railway geography" terms is associated with the SVR...

Bah.  I never liked riddles and crossword clues anyway.

I'll wait until the fuss is all over!  :senile:

There's also the Llangollen Railway Engineering Works, with three "new-build" projects (Patriot, Bretton Grange and 4709) in progress, so we've got Conwy, Colwyn Bay, Abergele, Rhyl, Prestatyn and Talacre in striking distance. Great Orme Trams?????  And there's Kidderminster, which in "railway geography" terms is associated with the SVR...

I wouldn't describe any of those resorts are near to Llangollen unless you have a very fast jet or a very small scale map.  In any case has there ever been a class of loco called a Conway Rug, Llandudno Laminate or Abergele Axminster?   

I did wonder if it was a Barmouth shagpile but I'd never heard of a loco being named after the barmaid at the Tal-y-Don.

Edited by wombatofludham