'Not Didcot' - Trackplan Started

ThePurplePrimer

Hi Guys

I have an idea in my head for a layout that requires a baseboard with curved edges front and rear. The problem is that my fixed dimensions are not the ones normally associated with basic geometry when drawing circles and I am really quite stuck and don't know how to try and calculate this.

The maximum width of the layout is 16 feet. Its deepest footprint it is 40". The two ends should have a width of 12" and are on an angle that would lead on the radius back to the center of one of the circles - I think it needs to be the larger radius one at the front of the layout to look right. The maximum depth of the board itself, which is at themiddlet ,should be 24".

The problem is I have no idea how to calculate the radius of these two circles with the fixed information I have

Can you help please 

post-20732-0-09798300-1412936539_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Does this look right to you?

Pretty easy to do if you have the right software. In this case Solidworks.

The 12" long ends are at right angles to the curve that intersects the midpoint of the centreline - fully defining the geometry.

NIce looking shape by the way. I wish I had gone with a curved layout.

Mike

post-19354-0-38660000-1412938432.jpg

I don't think there is a single solution to your problem - it depends upon the angle that your 12" side ends up at.  If you can fix that then you can calculate your curve radii.

Thanks for the comment Jon - of course you are right and I couldn't decide because I had no idea how it might look and either choice felt 'wrong'.

Mike's post below yours has chosen the radius of a curve that is on the mid point - that seems like a really good option that I had not considered ( my brain was already hurting )

Mike

Thank you so much for that - I am glad this place has some clever people on it :-)

I also really like your solution for the angle of the 12" ends 

I like the look of the shape - I think this could work

I need to work out how to make a paper template of this to lay on the floor now to see how it looks in situ 

I am pretty sure my Compass can't handle a 263" radius 

What I have in mind is a layout inspired by ( but NOT a copy of ) Didcot

I have a Heljan DCC turntable that is about 13" in diameter ( I will measure it exactly later " that will go in the middle of the layout at it's fattest point.

It looks like 24" night not be deep enough as I will need one running line in front of it and one behind 

I will be viewing it from inside the curve with the Demonstration running line to the front of the board

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/images/drcmap_2013.jpg

Please note i am not trying to cram all of that prototype into the space I have - just picking out bits of it and operating in a similar way 

The plan is to house a collection of locos and rolling stock at the back and pull them out onto the demo run at the front and give them a run up and down - when im bored I will get another loco out and repeat until I run out of tea/beer/wine 

Well thanks to Mike ( themagicspanner ) who did all the clever working out of the geometry I think this could well be a goer.

I started a thread a few days back about my idea for a museum style layout ( a layout OF a museum railway NOT a museum for a railway ) and the response wasn't too encouraging to my initial ideas but one very good suggestion was to look at Didcot - so I did - and it was a very good suggestion.

I looked on the Didcot website and their plan of the site looked so very close to what I wanted and was an interesting shape - very interesting.

With Mike's drawing of the baseboard and a fiddle with a google map I could see this might work ...

post-20732-0-93508500-1412956106_thumb.jpg

I already have ( still in its box ) a Heljan DCC enabled turntable - this will be oo by the way ) so I plopped a few basics in Anyrail and I think this is possible.

The dark red lines are the baseboard limits and there is a curved running line at the front and to the rear of the layout. I want my museum to be able to put on shunting displays to the public using a full size ( 12" to 1 foot ) inglenook sidings - There will be a viewing platform with a small shelter for the public to sit in and watch this happening.

The connection to the real world is to the far left - over a level crossing on the board edge

Here is the start of it in Anyrail - it's working title ( not the final name if it happens ) is - Didnot 

post-20732-0-91287800-1412956347_thumb.jpg

oh one more thing ...

THANKS MIKE  

Is this going to be a fixed or transportable layout - if the latter it's time to decide on baseboard sizes and joints.  If the former its time to plan the supports so as not to conflict with anything under the baseboard such at turntable well and point motors.....

Hi Jeff 

Mike kindly sent me a great cad drawing that shows me where the joints will be if split into 4 'equal' parts

I have no plans to show it at exhibitions but I do want to be able to move it to a new location if I need to ( those lottery numbers might come up )

You will have spotted the turntable is just off to the right of the centre to avoid the obvious middle join - once I have the track plan drawn I can try and work out where any cross members should ( and could ) go

The room this is going in is a touch over 18 feet wide - I want to be able to take photos ( or videos ) from each end when complete and the angled joins at each end will mean the boards will pull apart in a way that needs less side space to do so ( as of course they are angled and will pull into the room as well as sideways )

Please do say so if as I go you think I am missing anything as this will be my first layout

It is very useful to have pairs of equal sized/shaped boards. It means that should you ever need to transport them all you need are end boards to attach two baseboards face to face for protection (one upside down on top of the other) with spacers below track level this protects the track ends as well. I recommend that you have track breaks across baseboard joints as well - lay the track across the joint screw down the sleepers either side of the join and cut the track with a cutting disc. Pull the boards apart and install rail joiners for continuity and to ensure the rails are level. Plan it such that you only have plain track across the joints, preferably at 90 degrees.

Archived