Branchline to Swanhurst

clarkeeboy56

Painting?!? how about building................ :jester:

I'll leave quietly...

Nestor

You may have a long, long wait I'm afraid Nestor.....I've a signalbox to build next, then a pub, then a goods shed....then.....well, who knows what!?

I have managed to add a few bits to the station, this includes the guttering at the front, from D section plastic rod, the scalloped end valances on the gable ends (not too happy with one end, I may need to change that, I've added some supports for the posters at one end, added bits for the entrance canopy and built a door!!

IMG_7601_zps97369b8f.jpg

IMG_7599_zps960b1f20.jpg

• Like 2

......and here's the Wainwright  "H". SE Finecast kit. Goes together a dream. I manager to bu$$er up the chimney and dome, so replaced these with Branchline items. I've also added (at the front only at the moment) Kean Maygib sprung buffers (well..the shanks only). I may replace the safety valve as I'm not too happy with that. I used superglue for this part of the build, I just didn't trust myself with a soldering iron on such a lovely kit! I will of course be soldering the chassis, but thats brass photo-etch rather than white metal.

I've left the cab sides and roof off at the moment, this will help with painting the cab interior.

Quite a way to go on the main body....

IMG_7582_zpsafc1c67a.jpg

IMG_7587_zps227aa1ea.jpg

IMG_7588_zps225cfcf7.jpg

EDIT: Just thinking about it , these photo's should probably go in the kit build section rather than on here....I'll post further pic's of this build on there

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

......and here's the Wainwright  "H". SE Finecast kit. Goes together a dream. I manager to bu$$er up the chimney and dome, so replaced these with Branchline items. I've also added (at the front only at the moment) Kean Maygib sprung buffers (well..the shanks only). I may replace the safety valve as I'm not too happy with that. I used superglue for this part of the build, I just didn't trust myself with a soldering iron on such a lovely kit! I will of course be soldering the chassis, but thats brass photo-etch rather than white metal.

I've left the cab sides and roof off at the moment, this will help with painting the cab interior.

Quite a way to go on the main body....

IMG_7582_zpsafc1c67a.jpg

IMG_7587_zps227aa1ea.jpg

IMG_7588_zps225cfcf7.jpg

EDIT: Just thinking about it , these photo's should probably go in the kit build section rather than on here....I'll post further pic's of this build on there

I don't think it matter too much, it is related to this thread and it's all part of the layout build in a way...

Nestor

• Like 2

I don't think it matter too much, it is related to this thread and it's all part of the layout build in a way...

Nestor

Yeah maybe Nestor, at least this and the buildings work will keep me busy in between the fortnightly sessions on the layout itself....

Hi Bill

Very nice, great work so far, loving the station building that looks fantastic.  I also have the SEF H class to do (once I have got a bit more practice on my City of Truro and an R1 chassis, I may then tackle it or do the D3 first not sure yet.

Keep up the good work fella, makes a nice change from the Aircraft now and again.

All the best
Chris

Hi Bill

Very nice, great work so far, loving the station building that looks fantastic. I also have the SEF H class to do (once I have got a bit more practice on my City of Truro and an R1 chassis, I may then tackle it or do the D3 first not sure yet.

Keep up the good work fella, makes a nice change from the Aircraft now and again.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, I've really enjoyed building the station..this is my third attempt though, with a good few lessons learnt on versions 1 and 2!! The postman arrived today with some Slater's brick plastic card. I've added most of the brick work now...photo's to follow...plastic is great to work with, but then I've had half a century to practise on it!

More daunting is a white metal and brass kit, but as I've had the 'H" for far too long now I thought it about time to get it started.

So far ......reasonably....so good!

It is a great change from aircraft, but that Hannants lot just sent me a parcel with a Kinetic 1/48 th scale Sea Harrier FA.2 in it...oh dear..my work bench floweth over!.....

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's been a while....two and a bit years in fact, and I have managed a monumental leap forward in my layout. 

Now previously I only had access to it once a fortnight, as it was housed in the shed at the model railway group HQ in Kingswood,

Well, in those two years I have had a purpose built "man-shed" erected in the garden. Electric's fitted and the layout transported home.

I also took the opportunity to re-lay the track. The layout originally used, broadly speaking, the trackwork at Swanage. However, that meant that the station building, was a bit to close to the edge of the front, I had scratchbuilt this, and the detail incorporated in it would largely bee unseen - here,

With the help of my mate Tony, we ripped the track up, so I could start  again.

I tried to "flip" the trackwork over, so that now the station would be on the far -side, and teh goods yard at the front. I also had to move the engine shed...but more of this anon....

Just a few pic's to show where I have managed to get to .....

The track layout from the "country end"

IMG_2366_zpsrnmib30c.jpg

...and from the middle towards the "country end"

IMG_2369_zpsxsycoor7.jpg

More pic's to follow maybe tomorrow....any comments or questions? Please feel free

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 6

Another photo or two......first of all one of the station/goods yard board. I'm scratch building the goods shed, loosely based on the shed at Hawkhurst using plastic card and Slater's brick card. I'm not certain where to place it, but it won't be that far up.

The coal merchant's will be near the ex-GNR interloper!

IMG_2374_zpsenu9u8xa.jpg

Another view of the station area. I've used 18mm high wooden batons to line out where the platform will be. I've moved the goods shed up a bit. I still need to work out where the yard crane and platform will go. I've underlaid the track with cork, itself laid on more cork. There were still clumps of it as laid previously; some of which refused to budge! I'll be overlaying all of this with some kind of ground cover....

I've started to add point rodding, from the various Will's sets....

IMG_2377_zps7h98ekvn.jpg

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4

Another view of the 'engine shed' board. The engine shed itself will be on the track next to the inspection pit, in the bottom right hand corner of this photo. This section is, or will be totally isolated from the rest of the layout. I'm 'going' DCC, so this section will be used to programme loco's.

All points are electro-frog and have had seep motor's fitted. That was a task and a half! The double slip has not been motorised, being code 100 it's insul-frog, and thankfully needs less wiring than the seep motors. I'll be using standard PECO units on this.

The double arch at the end will be replaced with a single arch. The track currently extends into 'mid-air' , once I've added the corner infil the single track will turn right onto the last 5' fiddle yard.

IMG_2375_zpsh5dtm0my.jpg

The 'end of the line'............!!

IMG_2385_zpsrid0t6aa.jpg

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As the old saying goes....Swanhurst wasn't built in a day....or, something like that anyway.  But, a bit of progress over the last week.

I managed to get some ballast down, at the bridge end. The idea being that I could then build the bridge up after.  The permanent way crew borrowed my 25+ year old Dapol Terrier to test the track work and electric's.

IMG_2404_zpsgfmdojtv.jpg

Originally the layout consisted of 3 x 5' baseboards. These were laid end to end to form a 15' layout. This would consist of 2x 5' of scenic stuff and a 5' fiddle yard board. The new manshed though had exterior dimensions of 14' x 8'6', so that left me with a bit of a dilemma.  I decided that the only logical option was to use the existing 2 x 5' boards and then turn the fiddle yard at right angles. The layout would now fit against the back and side wall of the shed. I now need to fill the gap to join it all up, by adding a 3'6" x 3' (or thereabouts) infil.

A hole had been cut through the end of the baseboard, the end piece would now form the basis of a bridge, so it was time to get the jigsaw out...

IMG_2405_zpszhcnrqhd.jpg 

and after...

IMG_2408_zpshwzmdday.jpg

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4

The bridge itself , will be based , loosely if my track record is anything to go by, the bridge at Cranbrook Station. That had a lovely long sweeping access road to the station itself, which I will try to reproduce here.  I had quite a bit of wooden packaging 'slats' that came with another shed. I thought that I would try to use these as much as possible. First of all. the side wall was cut and tested for size

IMG_2409_zpsgj5zo6sl.jpg

I then glued this down and added the end piece.

IMG_2412_zpsqmbe2zjy.jpg

So, at least I've made a start on the bridge, even if it's only one side!! 

And testing for size......The "bridge' part is just another slat. I'm not sure how to build this up yet, I'm making it up as I go along!!!

My rake of BR Mk 1's (Railroad coaches,re-wheeled and re-painted, well one re-painted so far!)

IMG_2414_zpskpm50aaw.jpg

• Like 5

Well, It was a wee bit on the chilly side today, but I did manage to spend a good few hours out in the man-shed. The plan for today was to build up the other side of the road bridge support, and to start to lay some ground work. I'm happy to report that the plan went extremely well!!

First of all the other side of the road bridge. More wood from the

slats...

IMG_2416_zps30qcuy05.jpg

I've still to work out how to do the bridge piers. I've only managed to find a couple of pictures of the bridge at Cranbrook.  I suppose at it's only a 10 minute drive away I could pop over there tomorrow. As far as I can tell the bridge is still there, as is Cranbrook Station building. Looking at various Google Maps, 50+ years of tree growth may hinder any good views of it!! Still, I only need to see for myself where and how the pillars fit in with the brickwork.

And groundwork. I decided against using any more expanded polystyrene, so opted for slatted card (courtesy of Mr Kelloggs) on top of scrunched up newspaper. I've deliberately kept just short of the bridge pillars, so I can add the brickwork when I've worked it out. You can also see where the Station approach road will be - again using slat boards. 

I have used plaster of paris bandages before on this layouts previous existence, but won't be this time. It was far too messy. This time I'll be using papier mache, using wall paper paste and kitchen towels.  What can possibly go wrong?

IMG_2417_zpsbhxacib3.jpg

IMG_2420_zps2k0ytddd.jpg

On the near side, there will be a road curving into a road junction at the foot of the bridge.

IMG_2421_zps1m3cg30k.jpg[/uR

L]

It's the end of the line.....as we know it!!

IMG_2422_zpsgztqoium.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4

I'm at a bit of a quandary about this bridge. The layout itself is based along the Kent, and East Sussex border, and is maybe, an extension of the Hawkhurst branch line....more or less! So, I wanted to try to use prototypical structures as the basis of those on the layout. Luckily enough Brian Hart's "The Hawkhurst Branch" has scale drawings of the buildings at Hawkhurst and other stations on the line, so I have no excuses regarding the Station , Signal Box, Water Tower etc., unfortunately there aren't any for the few bridges that appeared on the line. This book, and my Middleton Press "Branch Line to Hawkurst" does have a few photo's, mostly from Cranbrook Station with the bridge in the distance. The actual bridge was quite high, and I think called a "beam" bridge, as opposed to one with an arch. It's a bit too high for my needs, so that will need reducing in height. I also have to consider the ramp up to the bridge. There is a photo of the rail bridge over the road at Horsmonden, which looks similar to that at Cranbrook.

An alternative could be to build an arch or hump backed bridge, Metcalfe do one that would get the bill nicely. I've also viewed, somewhat enviously, of the arch bridge on Adrian's Westerham Branch line at Brasted Halt. Why did it have two arches though?

Edited by clarkeeboy56

I managed to get some more ground and bridge work in yesterday.  I built the bridge structure up using pieces of balsa wood sheet. It's easy to use and cut and is quite strong, though I must admit, that the tank on this lorry was empty............my one concern is that I may not have built the bridge wide enough!

IMG_2441_zpsmhxikonq.jpg

I added the roadway on the near side and added some more Kellogg's formers....

IMG_2442_zpssaomlghj.jpg

I then lined the bridge walls with white plastic card. I thought it would be easier sticking the slaters brick sheets on this, rather than the wood,

IMG_2444_zpsmrrvwcp2.jpg 

..and so it proved, though I will need to purchase another sheet or two!!  I've added the extra layers to represent the corner pillars, though I may need to bulk these out a bit more. You can just about make them out here,,,

IMG_2449_zpsommus4e3.jpg

IMG_2458_zpsxqz6lqug.jpg

As the bridge is quite narrow, I thought that I would eventually need some means of traffic management, probably prioritised traffic lights, so I needed a bit more area at the foot of the bridge near side.  I added a retaining wall, I can increase the road area accordingly when I get the  papier mache started!

IMG_2470_zpsycofcgph.jpg

'

Thanks for looking.  Its just getting to the stage now, where I can actually visualise  what's what, and whats going were, though I am adapting it as I go along.........so that may all change!

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 5

Looking good, in your 4th picture I can really start to visualise what you are aiming for.

Gary

Thanks Gary, this photo may help explain it a bit more....The road on the right will sweep off board, just below the photo's edge. Its the access road to the goods yard, so will re-appear at the bottom (or top) of the "station board". There should be room at  the top where it meets the bridge  for a small triangular grassed island.

IMG_2459_zps1uf04ykl.jpg

• Like 4

If you take Slip Mill road, just off the A229 north of Hawkhurst, then you will pass "under" the missing overbridge leading into Hawkhurst Station. Any clues left?

Thanks Ian, yes indeed it may well be worth a visit.  I just wonder though if the bridges would have been different; The bridge on Slip Mill Road took the railway over the road, whereas the bridge at Cranbrook, took the road over the railway. I have photo's of the bridge at Horsmonden, which should be similar to that at Slip Mill Road. I suppose given that my layout isn't going to be one of an actual location, I do have some considerable leeway!

I have ordered some Wills "Parapet Bridge Walls", so I'll adapt the bridge to match those I expect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, in answer to your question (the arch bridge on Adrian's Westerham Branch line at Brasted Halt. Why did it have two arches though?)

This is from David Goulds book The Westerham Valley Railway, the five brick-built overbridges (each of which was constructed with an additional arch for a second track if required at some future date), All the Best Adrian.

Hi, in answer to your question (the arch bridge on Adrian's Westerham Branch line at Brasted Halt. Why did it have two arches though?)

This is from David Goulds book The Westerham Valley Railway, the five brick-built overbridges (each of which was constructed with an additional arch for a second track if required at some future date), All the Best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian, Ah yes, of course. That makes perfect sense.

Bridge building! Well, I think I have more or less worked out the shape of the thing, and broadly speaking how the bridge was built. This has of course been adapted to meet my needs (and more importantly my modelling skills!).

I treated myself to the Wills Bridge Parapet set, however the "brick work" on this didn't match that on the Slater's Sheets. I therefore just used that as a template, and any of the Wills parts used were overlaid with slaters bricks.

The fall wall was demolished (as you can see) I'm waiting for a fresh supply of bricks from The London Brick Co (Slaters/Postman!) to rebuild that....but I did manage to build the piers and start the bridge wall....

IMG_2512_zpsnsg3kluw.jpg

Here the wall is being extended. The core of the wall is white plastic card with brick stuck on. Its a bit messy at the moment and not stuck in place, The train guard is helping with procedures by holding the wall up...

IMG_2513_zpsrzd7sgt3.jpg

• Like 2

I braved the freezing conditions in the manshed last night - it takes ages for the heater to kick in, but I had Tony Blackburn to keep me company for his "Golden Hour" and then Radio 6.....anyway , a good bit of progress on the bridge...

One side completed. I now need to replicate this for the other side. I've used the Wills capping parts on the centre piers and central section, but will replace these with sections of plastic rod. One pier is slightly shorter than the other, thats to accommodate the uneven ground work!

IMG_2519_zpskn9skipn.jpg

The 'goalpost' has been test fitted....I've amended both side retaining walls. Hopefully these will look better when I add some terra firma!

IMG_2516_zpst3kvnhko.jpg

...and the "Hayling Billy", or should that be the "Swanhurst Billy" tests for clearance.........with the train guard keeping a watchful eye,,,,

IMG_2524_zpslcgqahoa.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Right,  on with the other side. It was easier to fabricate the other side of the bridge, as all I had to do was copy the first

side

First of all a white plastic card frame was knocked up....

IMG_2528_zpsusipwn3k.jpg

With 'bricks added in stages....

IMG_2530_zpszpv7hc75.jpg

IMG_2533_zpszm9xgokv.jpg

You can see here the 'returns' these enabled me to get a good snug fit. It was at this stage I opted to use the original piece on the far side of the bridge. The new part was neater so would feature on this , the more visible side....

IMG_2536_zpsjjaji5ax.jpg

And here it is in place...

IMG_2537_zpsvzsqq7dm.jpg

IMG_2539_zpshozn4tdw.jpg

I had thought about painting it all before I stick it on, I may still do this, though it was too cold to get my airbrush out today

From the other side. The old piece is just taped in place at the moment.

IMG_2540_zps5hkuduq5.jpg

Once I get the bridge sides on, I can then lay the road way. Then the landscaping.........a bit too cold at the moment for papier mache!!

Thanks for looking

• Like 4