Branchline to Swanhurst

clarkeeboy56

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a week or so....in that time, I've mostly been messing about with "upgrading" a rake of "Railroad" BR Mk 1's....metal wheels, blood replacing chocolate, prominent ribs on roof's reduced,  etc.,  you'll see the rake's progress throughout this thread......

Anyway, back to the bridge.   Slater's plastic is far too red for my liking, so that needed toning down. Initially I thought a light coat of Matt Dark Earth would do...with just shades of the red showing through..to represent the different shades of brick used.

IMG_2569_zpsatjlkede.jpg

Whereas this toned it down, I didn't really like the effect, so I gave it another blast of paint....

I liked this a lot better, so continued on to add 'mortar' and weathering......I will add some more of both later...

IMG_2571_zpswbilxmnu.jpg

Getting there!!  This side has been glued on, so I need to get the other side on. I hope to do that later this evening..

IMG_2572_zps02hthrej.jpg

• Like 7

I have also been busy on other parts of the layout. Mainly at the station end.  I've added the platforms....these are now screwed and glued down - so ain't going anywhere!

IMG_2548_zpsezebyqsl.jpg

The station at Hawkhurst had its platform sitting on sleepers. I tried to replicate this by 1st glueing on balsa wood scribed to represent the sleepers

IMG_2556_zpsu4tl9urg.jpg

This was followed with upright's using match sticks

IMG_2557_zpsuxavtdhh.jpg

I've since decided that maybe the cattle dock would fit in rather nice adjacent to th ebay platform, as opposed to its original proposed position in the goods yard....I'm still undecided....

IMG_2567_zpswf77ilo3.jpg

I'll be adding 2mm ply to the platform tops later......not sure about how I'll finish the platform surfaces yet...I have been thinking about fine wet n'dry paper....but we'll see...

Thats all for now. Thanks for looking!

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking good. I really like the bridge!! I think the cattle dock would look good on the bay platform. Hailsham had a similar setup after the engine shed was demolished with the cattle dock being moved onto the platform using the former engine shed road.

I also like the effect on the Mk1's, but I can't comment to much as I couldn't tell a Hornby Railroad one from a Bachmann super detailed one!!!!

Looking forward to seeing more,

Gary

Hi....

This layout is developing superbly, and you're obviously enjoying the journey too.....platforms look good, what dimension of woodwork are you using and will it be topped with balsa?

Back in the dim and distant past, some 40 years ago now when I used to 'help' with the family layout....I recall we used to formulate platforms from blocks of balsa wood which we sanded into smooth curves and was lightweight too....

At the moment I am mired in attempting to work out wiring and loosing the battle, but will stick with it!

All the best and kind regards...

Bob

Looking good. I really like the bridge!! I think the cattle dock would look good on the bay platform. Hailsham had a similar setup after the engine shed was demolished with the cattle dock being moved onto the platform using the former engine shed road.

I also like the effect on the Mk1's, but I can't comment to much as I couldn't tell a Hornby Railroad one from a Bachmann super detailed one!!!!

Looking forward to seeing more,

Gary

Yes, I think the cattle dock will look better there, it will also help to blend the adjacent area, station forecourt etc in as well.  Regarding the rake of coaches, the railroad coaches are more than adequate for my purposes. Taking a leaf from Mr Wright's book these are to be "layout stock" and will be tweaked to meet those needs. One thing I dislike about RTR stuff is the overall plastic look- unavoidable to an extent, given that they are...plastic! I'm 'glossing them up" in a hope that they will look a bit more metallic. They were cheap, costing roughly a third of what you would pay for a single Bachmann Mk1. So, I get a whole rake of three for the same price. I call that a bargain!  

• Like 1

Hi....

This layout is developing superbly, and you're obviously enjoying the journey too.....platforms look good, what dimension of woodwork are you using and will it be topped with balsa?

Back in the dim and distant past, some 40 years ago now when I used to 'help' with the family layout....I recall we used to formulate platforms from blocks of balsa wood which we sanded into smooth curves and was lightweight too....

At the moment I am mired in attempting to work out wiring and loosing the battle, but will stick with it!

All the best and kind regards...

Bob

I am enjoying it, many challenges, but great fun learning new techniques.  The wood is surplus from that used in building the trestles, its approx 18mm x 36mm wide. So its just the right height. I'm using 2mm bass-wood (I think?) sheet to top it. This will be sturdier than balsa. The only reason I used that for the platform facings was it was easy to scribe- and I had some...

Electric's!! Yes the underneath of my base-boards could do with a bit of a tidy up!!

So much to do, so many things to think of! Looking at some of the other superb layouts on here, which I do, for inspiration (and a bit of plagiarising!!) I'm very impressed by the realism achieved in using back scenes - especially those of a photographic type.  I am/was thinking about a plain back scene for Swanhurst, using plain blue art card. Most of this would be covered in hedges and trees, but I'm now having second thoughts.....

AND..."SWANHURST."  The name was derived from Swanage (who's track layout was originally used - well in a condensed form!) and Hawkhurst, down the line from Swanhurst....when it was extended..... I'm now thinking of a re-christening.  Something to incorporate my name..maybe? Nothing like an ego trip eh?  So......BILLESDEN?, BILLSDEN?   There are many "Den's" in these parts, not many Bill's!!!  

I'll knock up some "running -in" boards and see what takes my fancy......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So much to do, so many things to think of! Looking at some of the other superb layouts on here, which I do, for inspiration (and a bit of plagiarising!!) I'm very impressed by the realism achieved in using back scenes - especially those of a photographic type.  I am/was thinking about a plain back scene for Swanhurst, using plain blue art card. Most of this would be covered in hedges and trees, but I'm now having second thoughts.....

AND..."SWANHURST."  The name was derived from Swanage (who's track layout was originally used - well in a condensed form!) and Hawkhurst, down the line from Swanhurst....when it was extended..... I'm now thinking of a re-christening.  Something to incorporate my name..maybe? Nothing like an ego trip eh?  So......BILLESDEN?, BILLSDEN?   There are many "Den's" in these parts, not many Bill's!!!  

I'll knock up some "running -in" boards and see what takes my fancy......

Billesden? Willesden? Wot's in a name?I used to live in Flishinghurst, between Cranbrook & Goudhurst. There are lots of hursts, too. But Billingshurst has been taken already, and is in the wrong county, too. Iden Green? Ah, the Woodcock......

Hi Bill. Bilsington, Bilting. All the best Adrian.

Billesden? Willesden? Wot's in a name?I used to live in Flishinghurst, between Cranbrook & Goudhurst. There are lots of hursts, too. But Billingshurst has been taken already, and is in the wrong county, too. Iden Green? Ah, the Woodcock......

Yes indeed , The Woodcock, not been there for a while, but I'll add in the mix The Bull at Benenden and The Peacock in between Cranbrook and Goudhurst on the A262.......some excellent watering holes...........and I'm digressing with the thoughts of Shepherd Neame and Harvey's beers swilling round my head.........

... my layout is essentially based near the Kent & East Sussex border, so there us a bit of leeway......but as it is fictitious I think the name should remain the same. I live in Biddenden, so perhaps Billenden?

• Like 2

Creosote! I managed to spray some on tonight, well when I say Cresote of course I mean a mix of Tamiya Earth and Revell Anthracite Acrylic paint!

IMG_2577_zpsmqb89col.jpg

Talking of Creosote, we moved into our house about 4 years ago. As you might see from my "handle/Monnicker" on the side I live in Biddenden. There was once a railway station there, one of the platform's remain and the building there now has the BIDDENDEN running-in board attached and painted in K&ESR Blue with white lettering. You can see it clearly when driving from Headcorn to Tenderden. Now the old boy that lived, and died here, was here for years. He witnessed a V1 'Doodlebug" make a large hole at the rear of the garden in 1944, which removed most of the rear of our houses! Our next door neighbour Jean, still had the newspaper cutting from that and has also lived here since then and remembers taking the train from Headcorn to Biddenden.

When we bought the house there were a number of railway sleepers in the garden under tarpaulin. We used those to build a patio, and in the summer heat they still 'bleed' Creosote. Even after all of these years. I'd like to think that some of those sleepers were indeed 'local' and were salvaged from nearby and that Terriers and O1's once upon a time slowly chugged across them........

So, it's just as well I chose to paint the platform front in acrylic paint rather than trying Creosote. The man shed gets mighty hot in the summer, it might have just ruined the ballast!

Anyway, I digress again....

IMG_2579_zpscjkkdxuj.jpg

I've added the platform top here and placed the station building in situ to see what space I have and where...I've also started to add some ballast in front of the platform....

Thanks for looking!!

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian, yes indeed it may well be worth a visit.  I just wonder though if the bridges would have been different; The bridge on Slip Mill Road took the railway over the road, whereas the bridge at Cranbrook, took the road over the railway. I have photo's of the bridge at Horsmonden, which should be similar to that at Slip Mill Road. I suppose given that my layout isn't going to be one of an actual location, I do have some considerable leeway!

I have ordered some Wills "Parapet Bridge Walls", so I'll adapt the bridge to match those I expect.

Sorry, I should have thought a bit more carefully. There is a masonry (I think) bridge over the line on the B2079 Bedgebury road south of Goudhurst. I believe this stretch of line is under consideration for formal dedication as a footpath, with general support from surrounding councils - apparently excluding Horsmonden - and an application for lottery funding. My recollection is that this bridge is slightly humped-back, so I am confident it might have the profile you sought.

Sorry, I should have thought a bit more carefully. There is a masonry (I think) bridge over the line on the B2079 Bedgebury road south of Goudhurst. I believe this stretch of line is under consideration for formal dedication as a footpath, with general support from surrounding councils - apparently excluding Horsmonden - and an application for lottery funding. My recollection is that this bridge is slightly humped-back, so I am confident it might have the profile you sought.

Thanks for that Ian, I think i'll have a drive down there at the weekend, I can take a look while I'm there and see how close I can get to the bridge at Cranbrook too.....I will report back!!

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Blimey, yet another fine layout thread I haven't seen before!

Just followed you here from your comment on my Workbench thread

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks for looking in Dave, and very kind of you to say so!  I've been busy ballasting the thing over the last few weeks, and adding groundwork. I had a bit of a mishap with the embankment sides though! I used plaster of paris soaked in kitchen towel - and it just wouldn't dry - the newspaper scrunched up below was a soggy mess! so I've had to rip that up, let it all dry out and then I'll re-contour the embankments with good old fashioned papier mache! Lesson learnt! Use as little of the wet stuff as possible! At least the warmer evenings and days should help.....

I also treated myself to some Chinchilla Sand. This is to form the ground surface in the goods yard area. It's great stuff, made of pumice stone it absorbs PVA/Water a treat!. I've never used it before. I bought a 1.5kilo bag for £4.44 off of evil-bay. This was at 8pm on Sunday. It arrived at 2pm Monday!! From Southampton to deepest Kent! POST FREE!! Thanks to Amazon Prime!! Impressive or what?

Hope to get a bit more done this week , so photo's will follow ...soon!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I also treated myself to some Chinchilla Sand. This is to form the ground surface in the goods yard area. It's great stuff, made of pumice stone it absorbs PVA/Water a treat!. I've never used it before.

A good way to get a gravely surface with Chinchilla sand is to use black gloss paint to stick it down. Just paint the area then pour the sand over and hover up the excess once dry as you would with ballast. Have a look at the platforms on my Oak Hill thread as these are made this way.

Gary

Edit: added link to a post that shows the platforms

Edited by BlueLightning

A good way to get a gravely surface with Chinchilla sand is to use black gloss paint to stick it down. Just paint the area then pour the sand over and hover up the excess once dry as you would with ballast. Have a look at the platforms on my Oak Hill thread as these are made this way.

Gary

Edit: added link to a post that shows the platforms

Thanks Gary - very effective indeed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't posted on here for a while, so time for a little update. Since my last posts I've had a few goes at laying some terra firma. I wanted something of substance on the ground so I eventually opted for Chinchilla dust. This was applied thick and it worked okay, however it does present its own issues. It cracks when dry...., This is a feature I hope to utilise when laying road surfaces later!

post-6028-0-62252500-1500501164_thumb.jpgpost-6028-0-03657700-1500501222_thumb.jpgpost-6028-0-79414600-1500501336_thumb.jpgpost-6028-0-42760500-1500501393_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The loco inspection pit. The engine shed will be this side of the pit. I need to work out where the water tower will go, but I think nearby.

post-6028-0-64652500-1500501537_thumb.jpg

I've added (still a few wooden planks to go)  a small crossing for the BRS Vans. Their route out of the goods yard will be up past the engine shed, up the hill (bit of a steep one actually-oops!) and then turn left over the bridge - then right onto the yet to be built section ond on into the outside world....

post-6028-0-22736400-1500501662_thumb.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the colour of the ground. It should be a very pale grey along the roadways. I've been using  Halford's Primer Grey with Humbrol Earth on top, Not too happy with the colour at the moment, but I can easily amend that. I have since added a plaster smooth surface to the actual road sections in the goods yard. I'll post photo's over the weekend hopefully.

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 5

Since these photo's were taken I've been working on various other areas. I've built, more-or-less, apart from the roof, paint and fittings,the goods shed. I've also added the coal staithes adjacent to it....

post-6028-0-42263200-1500502989_thumb.jpg

post-6028-0-37706700-1500503040_thumb.jpg 

• Like 6

Just a brief update.......I've managed some work on the scenic side of things and also in the goods yard. The road urface was far too "rough" so I added a flat top of plaster. This is quite crumbly in places and I think looks reasonably like it should!

post-6028-0-83423400-1500812942_thumb.jpg

I wasn't happy with the original bridge arrangement, so I started again. This is just fitted for size, I still need to do the other side and the road surface and approaches

post-6028-0-49891400-1500813126_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I can't believe that my last post on this was back in July........so time for an update.

I have managed to get some green stuff down on the right hand board. I've re-done the front of the bridge and I'm a lot happier with that.

I've added one of the small SR concrete huts next to the track, and the signal box is taking shape. The back scene has still to be added. That will be a pale grey colour with trees..lots of them..... lining  the road down into the station.

2m7wv8w.jpg

And a view from the bridge......

2dqolj5.jpg

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4