The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

PC Problem

PenrithBeacon

I wonder if anyone can help. My PC has developed a fault in that when I select the 'shutdown' button it shuts down only to automatically restart.

I have run 'Task Manager' and there are no applications running, and Norton and there are no viruses etc.

MTIA

• RMweb Premium

Do you use the "power on" button on the front of the tower unit?

That might be sticking, it is not usually a physical mains on/off but a push button electrical trigger for the power supply

If it's sticking it can have some odd effects.

You could also go onto the Microsoft Forums and see whether there is anything mentioned there.

Keith

Vaguely recall that under "Power Management" there`s an option to "allow this device (or programme) to wake my computer" having such setting selected can also prevent shutdowns.

Some versions of BIOS also have a "auto restart after shutdown" setting to (de)select.......`perhaps worth a check.

• RMweb Gold

The issue could be physical (Loose connections or a sticking button) or software related (New computer programme installed or updated drivers causing mischief, or new hardware like a network card etc.)

The computing forums suggest that what your experiencing is the symptom is the computer crashing on shut down.  However what is causing this needs to be found.  To do this, you need to be adept at searching through the event log to find what's going on.

To do so in Windows 7, click Start, type Event Viewer, and press ENTER. In the left pane, expand the Windows Logs section, the select System.

Have a look through any errors listed to identify whether there are any clues whether its a driver, software or something else. I tend to ignore things marked "Information" but look for Error with red exclamation marks

If you're not confident to look through the log, or take the computer cover off, it might be best to get it looked at.  There are so many variables as to what the cause could be.

• RMweb Premium

This might sound insane, but if nothing else works you've nothing to lose by giving it a go. 

Unplug everything (including the PC Tower) other than the monitor from the mains. Unplug all devices including the monitor from the PC Tower.

Check you have power (but obviously no signal) to the monitor.

With the power and everything else still disconnected from the Tower, press the power button/switch and hold it down for at least ten seconds.

connect everything back to the PC Tower and mains supply and test.

As I say, this sounds mad, irrational, improbable etc etc, but it did work for me when I suddenly found that my Packard Bell PC running Windows Vista would not respond to any function in any way earlier this year.

Good Luck,

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

This might sound insane, but if nothing else works you've nothing to lose by giving it a go. 

Unplug everything (including the PC Tower) other than the monitor from the mains. Unplug all devices including the monitor from the PC Tower.

Check you have power (but obviously no signal) to the monitor.

With the power and everything else still disconnected from the Tower, press the power button/switch and hold it down for at least ten seconds.

connect everything back to the PC Tower and mains supply and test.

As I say, this sounds mad, irrational, improbable etc etc, but it did work for me when I suddenly found that my Packard Bell PC running Windows Vista would not respond to any function in any way earlier this year.

Good Luck,

Regards,

John

I did something similar with my new Win7 computer. After 3 months it wouldn't start at all. No lights, sound at all.Ended up taking the covers off & unplugging the power supply, waited 1 minute and put back together & it hasn't missed a beat for past 4 months.

But something else simpler, has just occurred, to me.

The start button, has its function accidentally been changed to 'restart'?

Check by clicking on Start button > Right click on 'Shut Down' icon, which brings up "Properties'. Select Start Menu.- This shows what the button is programmed for, it ought to be 'Shut down', but perhaps its showing 'Restart'?

Hope this helps.

In reply to 'Captainalbino' there is a consistant error in the System Log for 'DistributedCOM'.

Power management on this computer is distinctly limited, I have re-programmed the power button to switch off instead of sleep but it hasn't made any difference. I think a visit to the local computer shop is required, my thanks to all.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

It's good news day! Last night the computer was shut down and it stayed shut down! Much the same this morning! I really don't know why or why but the problem is fixed.

My thanks to all who have offered advice.

Regards

Maybe some setting was changed, because sometimes changes don't come into effect until after the PC is started again.

Edit to add.

No point worrying too much as to WHY? Just quit while your ahead!

• RMweb Premium

Ah! The Wonder of Windows!!

Love it or hate it we all carry on with Mr Gates.

I was somewhat surprised to find that more than 50% of all PCs, throughout the world,  are running Windows 7 and a fair few of the rest are running other Windows versions

Macs only have a small share of the market (less than I thought) and not significantly increasing their share - 7.17% now, 6.81% in 2012, (all versions)

Keith

Archived