I have been waiting years for a RTR  00 version of the Adams Radial. Yes I know 00 Works produced it a few years ago, but when I found out about it they had sold out. Occasionally these and kit built examples turn up on Ebay but go for outlandishly exorbitant prices.

So I for one am really hoping that the teases from Kernow Model Rail Centre come to fruition and lead to an announcement and production. Hopefully we will eventually receive an accurate model that many have been waiting years for,

As for the ghost image on Oxfordrails website, perhaps it really could be the LSWR Adams T3. Now wouldn't that be nice !

Cheers,

Chris

Excellent layout at Ormesby Hall. I am in the Purbeck Model Railway Group and we are planning to set up two permanent Swanage Railway layouts in Swanage: one 0 gauge and the other 00 gauge. One of our members has an 0 gauge kit built Adams Radial. I bought the kit built Adams Radial in the picture. When I had a go at building a Ks kit I cut out the fixed mounting for the trailing radial axle and built a pivoting one from an old tin can so the locomotives could negotiate 2nd radius points and tight curves.

post-17621-0-85514300-1413650759_thumb.jpg

00 gauge model of an LSWR Adams Radial tank hauling a passenger train over Corfe Viaduct. There is a photograph of Adams Radial tank 493 at nearby East Hill cutting hauling a similar train around 1903 on page 206 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways written by B.L. Jackson and published by the Oakwood Press.

post-17621-0-99054700-1414314785_thumb.jpg

Thank you Peter. The coaches are made from PC Coach kits and date from the 1970s. Wheeltappers took over the firm and I don't know if anyone still makes the kits. With the existing ready to run M7 and T9 and the 00 Works Adams Radial in LSWR livery that was made in the past there should be a market for ready to run or kits of LSWR coaches.

Thank you Peter. The coaches are made from PC Coach kits and date from the 1970s. Wheeltappers took over the firm and I don't know if anyone still makes the kits. With the existing ready to run M7 and T9 and the 00 Works Adams Radial in LSWR livery that was made in the past there should be a market for ready to run or kits of LSWR coaches.

Wheeltappers stopped supplying them several years ago. I think it may have been that they exhausted the stocks of printed sides and couldn't produce/justify funding any more.

They appear from time to time on ebay, especially the LNWR kits. With those, the later "see through" packaged versions (as opposed to printed cardboard boxes) were much better kits with aluminium roofs and lower body supports. I don't know if the same applied to the LSWR carriages.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Shane... a 40 year wait for the Radial....

I hope no-one minds, (especially JW) but for some reason I have a fondness for late Victorian engines...

Apologies for anyone of a nervous disposition - a bad day at work and unsupervised access to Photoshop gave me this.

post-238-0-21479900-1416332206_thumb.jpg

This thing might have been seen on the MSWJR, the MGNJR,the Highland, oh who knows where else....

Bachmann C class tender, and the front 3/4s of a Ks Radial...

A member of the Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group has got an 0 gauge Adams Radial. The 00 gauge Adams Radial in the 2nd Wrenn catalogue was W3003 and was in LSWR light green livery.  Unfortunately I have lost that catalogue but the model shown in the catalogue was probably a made up Ks kit. It was in catalogue no 2 under the heading "Preview - Locomotives" with the airsmoothed Merchant Navy, the Royal Scot that were produced and the 2-6-2 prairie tank that wasn't. There is a black and white picture of the page in the Wrenn catalogue on page 145 of The Story of Wrenn from Binns Road to Basildon by Maurice Gunter. It describes the locomotive as Drummond Regime S.R. ex L.S.W.R. I cannot read the running number of the locomotive.

Oxfordrail is planning to produce all versions of the Adams Radial from 1885 to today's preserved locomotive at the Bluebell Railway. Please see http://www.oxfordrail.com. Oxfordrail is aware of a competing product but neither Oxfordrail nor its competitor have any intention of withdrawing their model from the market. It looks like the long wait from when Wrenn announced their Adams Radial in the 1970s for an 00 gauge Adams Radial for the mass market will soon be over.  There should be no problems with supply shortages.

Yes there are indeed two competing manufacturers of the Radial as Hornby have today at Warley announced that they are producing it.

This is indeed interesting. I am a bit surprised that Hornby has announced the Radial. I would have been less surprised if the announcement had come from Bachmann as they seem to have more of a connection with the Bluebell Railway.

Regardless, my much loved loco is now to be produced in RTR form. I really hope it will be done in lined Maunsell green livery.

Cheers,

Chris

You can pre-order a Hornby R3333 Adams Radial number 30584 from Hornby for £119.  For those that want a LSWR version I have found two pictures in the Swanage Railway Goods Shed museum.  One shows Adams Radial tank 426 passing the engine shed and turntable with the branch train in July 1921.  The other is at Swanage Station yard around 1902 with Adams Radial tank 428 shunting an interesting variety of LSWR wagons. In the black and white pictures the Adams Radial tanks and the coaches look dark whereas the LSWR Urie green applied after 1918 is depicted on models as yellowish green on T9s and M7s that I would have expected to appear as light grey in a black and white photograph. In a survey there was equal demand for a LSWR, SR or BR version although the BR version produced by 00 works was more popular than the others.

Bright greens are tricky to interpret in old photographs because they tended to contain a lot of yellow and photographic emulsions of yesteryear tended to be no better at recording yellow than they were with red. Thus a loco could be bright green and look quite pale in reality but photos would tend to show that the colour was dark.

As far as I know Hornby, Bassett-Lowke, Ace Trains and Darstaed have not produced a traditional Adams Radial tank in 0 gauge and the only option is to buy a kit built model like those produced by Roxey Mouldings which will not go round tight curves. Darstaed do produce some classic suburban coaches in various liveries including LSWR which would provide a suitable train for an Adams Radial. I would like the 00 gauge companies to provide some similar coaches as there are lots of pre-grouping engines available but few trains for them to pull.

Archived