Swan street goods, Liverpool 1960s

Michael Delamar

must seem weird to people outside the Merseyside area.

a club member has a model of a Wirral 503. whilst they look similar, we placed them alongside and the difference is huge.

not only are the 503 narrower, the units are a lot shorter and different in many ways but do share some design

will get some shots of the 2 units next week.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

I seem to remember seeing this layout many years ago at a Derby Exhibition when it belonged to chris (Wasn't he the guy who always wore an Everton shirt at exhibitions?) . Any more progress in the last 18 months since the last post?

Regards

Steve

ps came here via the realistic photos link also.

yes and he's still got the same shirt.

I probably went with him to Derby, no progress on the layout, it does still get used in my loft now and then but I get bored easily with it.

still debating the extension with canal extension, the same guy who does the 502 kit is offering to do canal pylon gantries which are typical of Liverpool and would look good..

what I do fancy is a continuous run round fiddle yard for the 2 bottom lines, may see it at a show in the future again, but not for a while, Chris Nevard is coming to photo it and Crown street this year too.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Not sure what Canal Pylon Gantries are? I thought the 502's were 3rd Rail DC units. I can remember riding on them in the late 70's from West Kirby(?) through to Southport when 'Bashing' Liverpool sheds.

When Chris was exhibiting the layout, I remember another chap with him who never stopped cracking gags, by Sunday evening and a few beers later he was telling the same jokes that he had told on the friday evening, I think his name might have been Jimmy(?)

PS what make is the 502 unit? the earlier link on a previous post does not seem to be working now.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Not sure what Canal Pylon Gantries are? I thought the 502's were 3rd Rail DC units. I can remember riding on them in the late 70's from West Kirby(?) through to Southport when 'Bashing' Liverpool sheds.

When Chris was exhibiting the layout, I remember another chap with him who never stopped cracking gags, by Sunday evening and a few beers later he was telling the same jokes that he had told on the friday evening, I think his name might have been Jimmy(?)

PS what make is the 502 unit? the earlier link on a previous post does not seem to be working now.

Yep, Jimmy Carling.  Sadly no longer with us and much missed.

Hi Mike

The Canal Pylons are a breed of Electricity Transmission Tower. Unlike the "ususal" CEGB pylons, these straddle(d. They seem to have been removed!) the Liverpool end of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It was an easier route to get the lines into and out of Liverpool. I think they were mainly to get the power out from a power station at the Liverpool end.

There seems to be one left...

Image Seach page LINK

Jimmy was a paid stand up comic, he did plenty of clubs over the years around the north west, famous ones in Liverpool and Bernard Mannings Embassey in Manchester are a few I can think of.

his professional job was a driver, started as a cleaner at Liverpool Bank hall in 1942, wasnt long before he was a fireman because of the war, he retired from Liverpool Lime street as a driver in 1990.

in that time he worked at Liverpool sheds, Aintree, Walton and Edge hill.

he drove everything based at those sheds from pugs, to black 5's, jubilees, britannias, lizzies, class 502s, class 40's, peaks, 47s  and all the AC electrics.

on the electrics he called himself a glorified tram driver, he beat Mallards record of 126mph in a class 87 one day.

he also drove flying scotsman from Edge hill in 1973 and a Western at the rainhill trials in 1980.

he was a fountain of knowledge.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

the scouse mafia

attachicon.gifchris jimmy.jpg

link to class 502 kits and Canal electricity pylons

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/etraction/Canal%20scenes.htm

Oh the nostalgia! I grew up living alongside Ainsdale station, drifted off to sleep listening to the 502s clattering in and out and travelled on them so many times, lost count. I currently live on the South coast, retired, still modelling (see The Bournemouth West model railway group thread and my "home layout" Carsdale in December BRM.)

Long been a follower of yours Michael, superb modelling on Walton, thanks for reviving memories of Swan Street. I remember seeing it at a show, can't remember which one, and thought it the best modelling I'd ever seen at the time, the bomb damaged house was superb.

I have long toyed with the idea of modelling the Northern approaches to Southport Chapel Street, don't have room for the whole thing. The 502s would be a must.

Although I've tried several times I can't get the link to who makes these kits, it just won't connect - can you give me any further info?

• 1 month later...

Archived