Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ouch! Ferrari vs Lamp Post,

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

Don't know what all the fuss is about. A trip to Halfords, bit of fibre glass, some filler and a couple of rattle cans and you'd never know.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringnews/rare-ferrari-hits-lamppost-in-one-of-the-uks-most-expensive-singlecar-crashes-11363938862274

The problem is matching the metallic paint Arthur - the rest of it probably isn't much more difficult than renewing a wing on a Morris Minor, probably ...

I personal think that cars that engines of over 400BHP should be restricted by some means so the full potential of the engine is not used on public roads. 

...and I think disabled scooters should be limited to 3mph so they can't hurt pedestrians walking on the pavement.

The problem is matching the metallic paint Arthur - the rest of it probably isn't much more difficult than renewing a wing on a Morris Minor, probably ...

But it needed to be painted red anyway. I think Ferrari should just buy red metal/carbon fibre in the first place.

Ed

When I was in 'The Job' I used to love being called to 'Damage Only's' like these where some plonker with more money than brain cells had bent his new toy.

The only thing that approached it for me was last week on the A14 heading for Huntingdon when a sad individual in a BMW came up, at I would think over 100mph, behind my MX5 flashing his lights and blasting his horn to let me know he was there.  I moved over with a sigh, and took great delight to see him run straight into a Police GATSO camera at the side of the road!

Chances are the guy who bent this one already owns a Ferrari, you used to have to own a Ferrari to buy one, and Ferrari dealers don't let any idiot get in their cars  for a test drive.

If he didn't own one he would have had to put some kind of bond up just in case this happened.

• RMweb Premium

When I was in 'The Job' I used to love being called to 'Damage Only's' like these where some plonker with more money than brain cells had bent his new toy.

The only thing that approached it for me was last week on the A14 heading for Huntingdon when a sad individual in a BMW came up, at I would think over 100mph, behind my MX5 flashing his lights and blasting his horn to let me know he was there.  I moved over with a sigh, and took great delight to see him run straight into a Police GATSO camera at the side of the road!

Probably got false plates so couldn't care less.

Chances are the guy who bent this one already owns a Ferrari, you used to have to own a Ferrari to buy one, and Ferrari dealers don't let any idiot get in their cars  for a test drive.

The linked article mentions 'a chap in a Ferrari T shirt' I'm pretty sure no one who actually has a Ferrari also has a tacky T shirt.

Sounds like a wannabe test pilot....

If you search for something like 'idiots in supercars' on YouTube there are loads of people spinning expensive cars into hedgerows simply when pulling away from traffic ligts.

...and I think disabled scooters should be limited to 3mph so they can't hurt pedestrians walking on the pavement.

A little design input to ensure they don't have rigid ankle breaking protrusions about 100mm above the paving would be helpful. I got a lovely cut and bruising from one of these about 18 months ago. The person driving 'didn't see me', and I suppose the white stick in the basket added some credence to that.

I went and had a word with the local shopmobility branch (it was a hired unit) and they all looked very weary. Apparently 'a client' had driven one onto an escalator the previous week. But the problem was that as a local authority funded project, any refusal to hire a mobility scooter tended to result in a prolonged 'post-mortem' by correspondence, after a complaint had been raised with the local authority or councillor.

A little design input to ensure they don't have rigid ankle breaking protrusions about 100mm above the paving would be helpful.

A simple cut off switch operated by the bumper wouldn't be a bad thing either.

I personal think that cars that engines of over 400BHP should be restricted by some means so the full potential of the engine is not used on public roads. 

They are.  My 585hp Estate car is limited to 186mph…:-)

…but it doesn't mean I drive like a numpty.  

I've seen more dangerous drivers in small hot hatches and white vans than I've ever seen in high performance cars.

• RMweb Gold

I went and had a word with the local shopmobility branch (it was a hired unit) and they all looked very weary. Apparently 'a client' had driven one onto an escalator the previous week. But the problem was that as a local authority funded project, any refusal to hire a mobility scooter tended to result in a prolonged 'post-mortem' by correspondence, after a complaint had been raised with the local authority or councillor.

Forgive me for saying so, as it isn't nice, but the death of one or two of these 'clients' while driving might help focus those councillors' tiny pea-brains.

...I've seen more dangerous drivers in small hot hatches and white vans than I've ever seen in high performance cars.

On the other hand proportional to the numbers seen on the roads, I have seen far more of the exotic Masterbati on fire beside the road, than all other vehicle types put together. I realise this may not always be the driver's fault...

But it is true that of the three guys I have known who have managed - not to anyone's great surprise - to total themselves in cars, the sum total of bhp employed would barely reach 200.

Any person can drive any vehicle it's just a case of if you can't control or stop it then you should not be allowed to drive it.

The same comments apply to all forms of transport.

Perhaps if some kind of test was introduced that you had to demonstrate control and stopping, as well as a few other things, that you had to pass and get a licence, without which you would be legally unable to drive....  Oh wait....

I am sure that driver was capable of keeping that vehicle under control, but chose to drive it in a manner which made that unlikely.  And this is the problem, its the drivers attitude to driving that creates the risk of accidents. This is something that is difficult to address, since a driver with a bad attitude can drive perfectly well when he wants to, like passing a driving test or demonstrating that he is OK to take a Ferrari on a test drive, but round the corner and out of sight....

• RMweb Premium

Any person can drive any vehicle it's just a case of if you can't control or stop it then you should not be allowed to drive it.

The same comments apply to all forms of transport.

Then of course the other major issue is the ability to park. Owning an expensive car is no guarantee, that they can do this as a browse of You Tube will attest. You'd like to think that if the owner is wealthy enough to own one of these cars, then they can afford some advanced & private driver training.

Archived