The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ouch! Ferrari vs Lamp Post,

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps if some kind of test was introduced that you had to demonstrate control and stopping, as well as a few other things, that you had to pass and get a licence, without which you would be legally unable to drive....  Oh wait....

I am sure that driver was capable of keeping that vehicle under control, but chose to drive it in a manner which made that unlikely.  And this is the problem, its the drivers attitude to driving that creates the risk of accidents. This is something that is difficult to address, since a driver with a bad attitude can drive perfectly well when he wants to, like passing a driving test or demonstrating that he is OK to take a Ferrari on a test drive, but round the corner and out of sight....

A friend of mine explained how she thinks every one ought to do advanced driver training. She went on to tell that her son did such a course, but his driving is terrible most of the time, except for when he chooses to remember what he learnt! Money wasted?

• RMweb Premium

I personal think that cars that engines of over 400BHP should be restricted by some means so the full potential of the engine is not used on public roads. 

I suspect a typo and it should be 40hp.

Maybe we should bring back the days of a guy walking in front, waving a red flag?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine explained how she thinks every one ought to do advanced driver training. She went on to tell that her son did such a course, but his driving is terrible most of the time, except for when he chooses to remember what he learnt! Money wasted?

Isn't that the case for all of us? It's just that some of us remember, more of the time.........

Cheers,

Mick

I've just read the story, and read it again, and nowhere can I see what caused the accident or who owns the car or who was driving the car at the time or any reference to their driving ability.

Interesting that most people reading it ASSUME that a person 'with more money than sense' was driving beyond his ability and crashed because the car was too powerful and he wasn't a good enough driver.

Also interesting that nobody assumes that the driver, who is maybe a self-made entrepreneur earning wealth by employing 500 people, was coming off a roundabout at a sedate 35mph because Italian supercars are fragile and break down easily if driven fast. The driver of a small car in the other lane got a case of jealousy and swerved in front of the Ferrari which avoided hitting the other car by swerving into the safety of the grass verge. Of course this didn't happen, because hundreds of people witnessed this accident..........oh right nobody did.

Mark

I've just read the story, and read it again, and nowhere can I see what caused the accident or who owns the car or who was driving the car at the time or any reference to their driving ability.

Interesting that most people reading it ASSUME that a person 'with more money than sense' was driving beyond his ability and crashed because the car was too powerful and he wasn't a good enough driver.

Also interesting that nobody assumes that the driver, who is maybe a self-made entrepreneur earning wealth by employing 500 people, was coming off a roundabout at a sedate 35mph because Italian supercars are fragile and break down easily if driven fast. The driver of a small car in the other lane got a case of jealousy and swerved in front of the Ferrari which avoided hitting the other car by swerving into the safety of the grass verge. Of course this didn't happen, because hundreds of people witnessed this accident..........oh right nobody did.

Mark

Why are you confusing an opinion formed on balance of probability with an assumption?

No, the other driver was going ridiculously slow. It is just that the video has been speeded up, for effect you understand, nothing wroong with the Lamb's driver at all!

Stewart

Why is when walking round London, I see quite a few of these fast cars been driven harshly in the 30mph (or possibly 20mph now) speed limits? Who in their right mind needs to drive a car in London anyway?

Why is when walking round London, I see quite a few of these fast cars been driven harshly in the 30mph (or possibly 20mph now) speed limits? Who in their right mind needs to drive a car in London anyway?

I was in the nicer bits of London yesterday and saw lots of exotic cars being driven safely round at Boris bike speeds. A Ferrari even stopped so we could cross the road.

I'm really not sure why you'd buy something like a Mclaren F1 to drive round at 20mph though...

I was in the nicer bits of London yesterday and saw lots of exotic cars being driven safely round at Boris bike speeds. A Ferrari even stopped so we could cross the road.

I'm really not sure why you'd buy something like a Mclaren F1 to drive round at 20mph though...

There's a lot of Middle Eastern Sheikh types who come over to London for a few months per year and bring their supercars with them. There was a documentary about it a few years ago on Channel 4 http://www.channel4.com/programmes/millionaire-boy-racers/episode-guide Article about it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2716405/Streets-Knightsbridge-jammed-Arab-owned-supercars-wealthy-playboys-flock-London.html

The speed on replay looks credible for the Lambo lifting off the road. That doesn't happen in a 20 mph bump. Notice that the brake lights aren't on while the Lambo is airborne, and don't light until about to collide with the Beemer. We'll let the traffic police pick the bones out of this one.

Surely in the absence of other factors (drink/drugs, hand-held mobiles) right of way trumps speeding when it comes to insurers attributing blame?

How did the videographer happen to be in the right place and start filming with the car joining from the right?

• RMweb Gold

How did the videographer happen to be in the right place and start filming with the car joining from the right?

He (a  car enthusiast) heard the Lamborghini and got his mobile to film it. His video started as it was going past (according to newspaper reports of the incident)

YouTube is full of guys who travel around London filming the latest supercars, so not really surprised this was caught on camera.  I saw this clip some time ago and believe it went to court.  Hard to judge the speed of the Lambo, but pulling out into a main road without checking first or not seeing oncoming traffic would suggest the Mazda? was at fault.  

In his defence though, I did have a close call once when my passenger blocked out an oncoming car and I started to pull out.  Easily done….

Chances are the guy who bent this one already owns a Ferrari, you used to have to own a Ferrari to buy one, and Ferrari dealers don't let any idiot get in their cars  for a test drive.

If he didn't own one he would have had to put some kind of bond up just in case this happened.

"Man, you f***ed up your Ferrari."

"It isn't mine."

- "The Rock"

...right of way trumps speeding when it comes to insurers attributing blame?...

No, speeding is always considered contributory as it is an offence in law. The person turning is looking for a gap in the traffic, and it is reasonable to estimate that gap on the basis of the applicable speed limit. And as I recall it, there is no such thing as 'right of way' described in the applicable legislation. Lots of 'be prepared to give way' and 'limiting speed to enable you to stop in time' messages though...

I'd be interested in the court proceedings for that collision if anyone has a reference.

The road markings on the side road contain a warning triangle to show you are approaching a give way junction, followed by the double dashed lines, which the gov.uk site states as 'give way to traffic on major road'.  On that basis, I would suggest the car from the side road is at fault.  The law says give way to traffic on the major road and makes no mention of speed.

I would also be interested to hear of the outcome, if it did go to court.

• RMweb Premium

The road markings on the side road contain a warning triangle to show you are approaching a give way junction, followed by the double dashed lines, which the gov.uk site states as 'give way to traffic on major road'.  On that basis, I would suggest the car from the side road is at fault.  The law says give way to traffic on the major road and makes no mention of speed.

I would also be interested to hear of the outcome, if it did go to court.

Surely there must be a precedent for that. Someone pulling out in front of a speeding vehicle at a T junction is hardly unique. The fact a Ferrari is involved is irrelevant, except the damage bill is higher.

• RMweb Premium

Explain this one then...:

Aventador Crash - Moment of Impact:

Was the Lamborghini going at a ridiculously high speed, or did the other driver simply not see it...?

Both to blame I think

LHD does not help

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see the Lambourghinis were not too damaged, but a lot of these would not have happened if the cars were fitted with traction control

I think they ought to be fitted with some other type of control, such as non-idiot control, or automatic computer control.

Archived