A question for merf, do your records show anything about J839 BNW, or do you know how many of that type were built?

Andy

Andy

The only info I have on J839 is from yourself and 'semitrailer'. I have had a go through my lists and found those that I have records of. Not that many, I'm sure there were more but the info is hard to find. A lot appear in flickr pictures of sheds but numberplates not readable.

URC692S Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Walton on Naze

LTV337W Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Eastleigh

LTV351W Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Holyhead MPD

RGE946W Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Inverness

GBT955W Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Hornsea

GYY641W Dodge G7575 lwb Rerailing bus Gloucester

YWR757X Dodge G08 lwb Rerailing bus York

A535TYW Dodge G08 lwb Rerailing bus Norwood

A536TYW Dodge G08 lwb Rerailing bus East Croydon

A537TYW Dodge G08 lwb Rerailing bus London

E391MJD Renault Commando G08 Rerailing bus Sold

F309AUB Renault Commando G08 Rerailing bus EWS Thornaby

H745YGO Leyland/DAF Roadrunner lwb Rerailing bus EWS Ipswich, Eastleigh recovery

J839BNW Leyland/DAF Roadrunner lwb W H Bence Rerailing bus EWS c-4/12 Gateshead, Tyne Yard

Leyland DAF 45 130 lwb Rerailing bus Knottingley

K906GVO Leyland DAF 45 130 lwb Rerailing bus NR Crewe MEE

L352YRY Leyland DAF 45 130 lwb W H Bence Rerailing bus EWS Feb-96 Carlisle

Previous rerailers were the Bedford TKs with Wolverton bodies as done by Oxford Diecast and later we had the Bedford TL / BRUFF roadrailers. So I have just included those of the body style like yours.

Merf.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Andy

The only info I have on J839 is from yourself and 'semitrailer'. I have had a go through my lists and found those that I have records of. Not that many, I'm sure there were more but the info is hard to find. A lot appear in flickr pictures of sheds but numberplates not readable.

H745YGO Leyland/DAF Roadrunner lwb Rerailing bus EWS Ipswich, Eastleigh recovery

J839BNW Leyland/DAF Roadrunner lwb W H Bence Rerailing bus EWS c-4/12 Gateshead, Tyne Yard

Previous rerailers were the Bedford TKs with Wolverton bodies as done by Oxford Diecast and later we had the Bedford TL / BRUFF roadrailers. So I have just included those of the body style like yours.

Merf.

Have you try getting in touch with the Freight Transport Association, as some of the pictures above show FTA vehicle inspection service yearly sticker's in front nearside windscreen, they might beable to tell location of inspection sites over the years they have inspected vehicles. Since 1999 all there inspections have been recorded on laptops by there engineers. Hope this is useful information

Have you try getting in touch with the Freight Transport Association, as some of the pictures above show FTA vehicle inspection service yearly sticker's in front nearside windscreen, they might beable to tell location of inspection sites over the years they have inspected vehicles. Since 1999 all there inspections have been recorded on laptops by there engineers. Hope this is useful information

Thats a good idea, what did the FTA do? was that for MOT / Plating or something else inpsection wise?

Andy

Andy

Merf.

Thanks for the list, its a good list, but as you say info is almost impossible to find. I spent most of sunday on flickr and google until my eyes were square, but have found a few hopefully new pictures as follows: (apologies if you have seen them before)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graham_williams/5435949548/

This is a twin wheel LWB transit, question is mk 1 or 2? as the poster says, the maxi is nearing the end of its woeful life!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincoles/5161492456/

This again at knottingley, shows a bruff, and earlier re railing bus with the curved roof - dodge perhaps? And also a freight rover 400 with the white roof - if I re call they were conversions before the factory did them? cant quite make out the branding on the side!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmderek/5650327975/

This is the other side of the view that merf found earlier on, the bruff has been replaced by the EWS unit, and the leyland daf is still hanging on, its identical to the one at gaerwen, might even be the same one, but cannot make out the reg, even with a magnifying glass

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrs1967_1/4467789387/sizes/l/in/photostream/

This is an oddity, and would make a good model, it also appears to still be there today, which is good going seeing as its 22 years old!

This started life as re raling bus, same batch as mine with the three roof vents, bence body and leyland daf 45 mk1 chassis etc, so its around 1990 vintage. except its been re made into just a lorry, several pics on flickr, all parked in the same place, so its end may be nigh - question is could I keep two? Must email the disposals manager, does anyone have any knowledge on this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56394872@N06/5425785554/

This last one I am particulary proud of, its of J 839 BNW at bescott in 2004, so far the only picture I have found of it in service, or that could read dumped! It looks the same as when I bought it, so still no further in identifying how it looked when newish. I like that pic, but I am easily pleased!

Andy

Andye,

sorry for that spanner (as long as its a Spanner Mk3...), any way, given that your truck is a "J" reg, you may well have had the BR arrows and Rerailing Equipment on it as J reg vehicles still had the arrows and "British Rail" applied to them. It should be in the same position as Merfs picture of the K reg 45, though it would only have the arrows and not "British Rail", but would have had BR on the ends as you have it now on yours.

My old Astra van which was a J reg , J653DVO, still had "British Rail" on the back of it when I took it over in 2001 at Old OAk Common, EWS wanted to remove it, so I took the van home, cleaned it, and even polished it! So I had the only official EWS "British Rail" van .....it lasted until the June when the engine blew up, they repaired it but went soon after being replaced by a boring white new astra....not the same!

So you were an apprentice at Reading, when did you leave there, as I was based at Thames and Chiltern HQ at OOC, and looked after OOC, Aylesbury and Reading from 1991 to 1993.

Cheers

R

Hi ringo,

Thank you for the reply - this is the funny thing, there is nothing to suggest it was ever repainted, and the shadows in the paint show where the BR type and logo were, which is where I have put them back. There is no evidence that anything else was applied, as the paint is original. It had The "British Rail" on the rear of the tail lift,as again the shaodow shows where it was removed. The one on the body at the front is my addition, I had a spare one left and it looked good there!

So the real mystery is that was the emergency repsone added and the BR stuiff emoved at the same time, or were both on together? Unless I can find any pics we will never know, except that it looks good now! At that time all sorts of stuff was left out - we had a fork lift at aylesbury which kept its NSE logos and lettering until at least 2007 after which is was either sold or scrapped, after my time there!

The astra is a good survivor as well! Shows what went on. was it churcward house you worked at - let me know your name, I am sure we msut have crossed paths at some point!

I was a western region apprentice of the 1988 intake, did the rounds at OOC, reading and then ended up at Marylebone, that shut and them moved to aylesbury and stayed there until 2005.

Andy

Thanks for the list, its a good list, but as you say info is almost impossible to find. I spent most of sunday on flickr and google until my eyes were square, but have found a few hopefully new pictures as follows: (apologies if you have seen them before)

http://www.flickr.co...ams/5435949548/

This is a twin wheel LWB transit, question is mk 1 or 2? as the poster says, the maxi is nearing the end of its woeful life!

http://www.flickr.co...les/5161492456/

This again at knottingley, shows a bruff, and earlier re railing bus with the curved roof - dodge perhaps? And also a freight rover 400 with the white roof - if I re call they were conversions before the factory did them? cant quite make out the branding on the side!

http://www.flickr.co...rek/5650327975/

This is the other side of the view that merf found earlier on, the bruff has been replaced by the EWS unit, and the leyland daf is still hanging on, its identical to the one at gaerwen, might even be the same one, but cannot make out the reg, even with a magnifying glass

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

This is an oddity, and would make a good model, it also appears to still be there today, which is good going seeing as its 22 years old!

This started life as re raling bus, same batch as mine with the three roof vents, bence body and leyland daf 45 mk1 chassis etc, so its around 1990 vintage. except its been re made into just a lorry, several pics on flickr, all parked in the same place, so its end may be nigh - question is could I keep two? Must email the disposals manager, does anyone have any knowledge on this one?

http://www.flickr.co...N06/5425785554/

This last one I am particulary proud of, its of J 839 BNW at bescott in 2004, so far the only picture I have found of it in service, or that could read dumped! It looks the same as when I bought it, so still no further in identifying how it looked when newish. I like that pic, but I am easily pleased!

Andy

Andy

The Transit, I think the Mk2 was introduced about 1978, so in 1980 it could be either. Can't tell from the rear view.

The rerailer is probably a Dodge as all of those with curver roof found so far have been. The Sherpa has what looks like a MGR wagon on the side, coal sector C&W ?

The EWS R/R rerailer is T242CNN probably, as I have a photo of this one in the Yorkshire area. The 45 is not the same one as at Gaerwen, as I have a number of pictures of it over the years and it did not get the big lettering, so probably a second K reg. one.

I had seen the Toton one in pictures before, but not sure if it has had the windows plated over or was built like that, mystery.

And your find of J839, well done. I seem to recall seeing it from the motoway a few years back, and wondering what it was.

Cheers Merf.

Orange Network Rail lorry! Anyone know if there has been a change of policy or did I see a one off yesterday? Unfortunately I was negotiating a junction and had to watch the traffic but coming in the opposite direction was an Iveco chassis with a box body. Lots of doors/lockers and vents on the roof but no windows, at least not on my side. Fully labelled as per normal Network Rail logos and with a slogan on the side ' Safety 365' with the word safety positioned over the 365. Anyone know what I saw? Would make an interesting change from a yard of yellow trucks if it's a one off.

Tony Comber

That's it! Must have been around a while as it's on a 55 plate from Yorkshire - could mean it's leased. Interesting that the Network Rail branding is in black as it doesn't really stand out that well, you'd have thought white might have been better. Realised I had a senior moment in my last post, meant to say a yard of white lorries, not yellow :-(

Tony Comber

Short film of a Karrier coming to grief , good underside detail !

Looks like the nicely suited manager's getting stuck in with the clear up.

Their's is one copper in a raincoat taking notes and life carries on around the accident, Imagine the hullabaloo today there would be multiple emergency vehicles , road closures , etc etc .

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-27041967-crash-involving-a-british-rail-lorry-at-dudley/MediaEntry/10426.html

Edited by jcb 3c

Andrew

From the top your pictures show.

Bedford TK Signal Engineers crew bus with tool capacity. c1966-76

Bedford TK dropside used by most of the engineering people (But the wording on the side is ficticous and needs removing)

Bedford TK tool and crew bus. I have seen these described by different people as, overhead line or recovery. Does anybody know for sure ?

Bedford TK rerailing and recovery.

Bedford TK P way relayers bus with 22 seats.

Ford D artic operated by goods department from c1967 and later NCL.

Leyland FG P way bus of 14 seats for mobile maintainance gangs.

Leyland FG used by most engineering disiplines.

Land Rover van as used by Bangor plant fitters.

Note the period of the above (1966-1987)would not all be around at the same time.

Merf.

A puzzler from flickr.

Found this bus at Sheffield Victoria. But what is it ?  http://www.flickr.co...n/photostream/I I have a record of a bus , JLE624D, a Bedford VAM (it could be one) with Strachens 46 seat body ( it could be) but no known location or even region. So I wonder if it is having been repainted from green to yellow at some stage.Merf.

Thanks to jcb3c for providing the inspiration for this from the picture in the BTF collection. The only shot of a BR Minivan that I have ever seen.

Given an apropriate 1966 Glasgow registration and a suitable fleet number. The Oxford van has had the tyres reduced to half their width and repositioned inside the wheel arches by shortening the axles.Merf.

post-1625-0-60669200-1335473306_thumb.jpg

Mini Looks good Merf, watching vol.9 of the BTF films where it is from there is also one called ' Lost Stolen Damaged' LSD! about parcels from 1964 that is stuffed with BR vehicles many registered OAR??? mainly Scarabs and Austins around Glasgow.

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

Sounds good, must get a copy of that film.

A couple more from the workbench recently.

One of Bernard's superb Vauxhall HB 2door kits. Based on a B&W photo of BNK961G, a Midland Region car in Birmingham.

DFE891 was a wartime Bedford OWB bus based somwhere on the Western Region. Again from a B&W photo showing the 1948 style lettering as applied to ex GWR vehicles. A straight repaint of the recent Oxford model.

post-1625-0-06603200-1335542232_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-40418800-1335542274_thumb.jpg

Watford was the office for the LMS and later Midland Region road motor department. In the 1970s this transfered to Derby.

The LNER and Eastern Region had their office in London until c1968 when the North Eastern who registered in York was abolished, but York continued for the new enlarged Eastern Region.

The Southern was always London based.

The GWR & Western Region was based at Paddington until 1984 when they moved to Swindon.

And the Scottish were based in Glasgow.

Merf.