From David Ford's excellent photo collection.  What appears to be a delivery of new crew buses for B R, at Pillmoor heading South, but from where ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2017/post-5613-0-30421500-1490624828.jpg

I'm not so sure about them being for BR; they look more like the sort of small coach that the military were fond of, which had slab-like bodies and a door in the middle of the rear. There was a big coach-builder in the Scarborough area (Plaxtons?); might they have come from there?

The main route to Scarborough is South of here.

They do appear to be some kind of FG derivative probably from the Leyland plant at Bathgate

Although Bathgate produced the chassis, the bodies were produced elsewhere, and I am trying to think of any builders that far north. There was a Smiths who produced bodies for B R but not sure where they were, however Newcastle is in the back of my mind.

Most of the other builders I know of were down South. Brislington, Wolverton, Strachens.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Although Bathgate produced the chassis, the bodies were produced elsewhere, and I am trying to think of any builders that far north. There was a Smiths who produced bodies for B R but not sure where they were, however Newcastle is in the back of my mind.

Most of the other builders I know of were down South. Brislington, Wolverton, Strachens.

Was there one called Carmichaels? Smiths (who also produced milk floats and other electric vehicles) were on Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead, but these days are based in the US.

Was there one called Carmichaels? Smiths (who also produced milk floats and other electric vehicles) were on Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead, but these days are based in the US.

Smiths (Smiths Electric Vehicles) are still there, now called Sevcon.

Try as I might on flickr I am struggling to put the right search terms to find north east based railway motors in the early 80's.

I wonder if I am thinking it was Smith the milk float builder was also a body builder. I have no trace of Carmichael being a supplier to B R, think they made fire engines.

I'm not so sure about them being for BR; they look more like the sort of small coach that the military were fond of, which had slab-like bodies and a door in the middle of the rear. There was a big coach-builder in the Scarborough area (Plaxtons?); might they have come from there?

Plaxton built crew buses for a number of utilities, military, emergency services and the NHS but the only ones for BR were a small number in the 1950s, Karrier Gamecocks I think they were.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This has appeared at Gaydon, is it a genuine original or BR Body on a non BR chassis?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tentontipper/34188359920/in/photolist-U67hio-VJgPV9-VMpsgQ-VtGfKq-VGfEkv-VNUkcP-V72UQY-VuFtxg

A good replica. There were none of this style of body (14 seat) on Ford D chassis.

The chassis is dated 1970-1 when crew buses were all the old FG coachbuilt type, the body with flat roof is at least 10 years newer.

A good replica. There were none of this style of body (14 seat) on Ford D chassis.

The chassis is dated 1970-1 when crew buses were all the old FG coachbuilt type, the body with flat roof is at least 10 years newer.

I thought so Merfyn, Thanks

• Like 1

There was a dodge with a body Luke this on eBay a few months back,could this be the same body.

I half considered it to restore back to BR condition

Here it is last October. The survival rate of those bodies was very good being aluminium however the Dodge cabs were very rust prone and any survivors would be a big restoration job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63886203@N07/30478414750/in/feed

• RMweb Gold

It certainty looks better yellow

A few years ago there was still a Dodge in rerailing livery ,it may have still been in use but confined to the depot. Not sure what happened to it when the depot was remodeled

• Like 1

It certainty looks better yellow

A few years ago there was still a Dodge in rerailing livery ,it may have still been in use but confined to the depot. Not sure what happened to it when the depot was remodeled

The one from Reading was rescued when the depot closed.

The bottom photo is of the Freightlifter just parked up I would imagine. A long time ago now but I can remember it working in the yard at Barnstaple. Much of the work involved shifting steel plates destined for Appledore Shipbuilders and the yard was also used for stockpiling the plate. Over a certain width the steel plate came loaded on Trestle or Trestrol wagons at an angle. Memory is a bit vauge from this far back but I believe this was when an attachment was added to the forks. This had clamps hanging down from it which where attached to the steel plates. The plates where then lifted off the wagon hanging vertically. There was an old container (seen in the top photo), aluminium bodied or sheathed which the Freightlifter propped the sheets up against. A quick nip round to the other side of the container and a nudge from the jib of the Freightlifter and the plates fell flat on the ground to be loaded onto a lorry or stockpile.

Bit off post but the young lady in the top photo lived with her family in the crossing cottage at one of the Doomsford crossings and came in regularly to take the family laundry to the laundrette in Barnstaple and often had a long wait for her train back visiting us in the parcels office.

Edited by Eggesford box

There was a dodge with a body Luke this on eBay a few months back,could this be the same body.

I half considered it to restore back to BR condition

Did you mean the green and yellow one? Its a dodge chassis, with a curved roof body, not the same as the ford one mentioned earlier, the dodge one is VDN 813V, It was formally a traveller home, Merfyn has a pic of it looking better a while ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5171819890/in/faves-90163850@N02/

Its been stored inside for 20 odd years, and the body is excellent, although gutted inside, the cab is reasonable for its age:

here it is now, not sure what the yellow badly rollered on paint is all about:

post-12679-0-15874700-1498929167_thumb.jpg

here is the inside:

post-12679-0-01642700-1498930273_thumb.jpg

original floor and excellent side folding doors, original locks etc 

Merfyn, do you have any history on this one or any other pictures? Anything on it would be much appreciated, as I am not sure what I will do with it yet!

Andy

• Like 1

Did you mean the green and yellow one? Its a dodge chassis, with a curved roof body, not the same as the ford one mentioned earlier, the dodge one is VDN 813V, It was formally a traveller home, Merfyn has a pic of it looking better a while ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5171819890/in/faves-90163850@N02/

Its been stored inside for 20 odd years, and the body is excellent, although gutted inside, the cab is reasonable for its age:

here it is now, not sure what the yellow badly rollered on paint is all about:

attachicon.gifvdn813v.jpg

here is the inside:

attachicon.gifvdm.jpg

original floor and excellent side folding doors, original locks etc 

Merfyn, do you have any history on this one or any other pictures? Anything on it would be much appreciated, as I am not sure what I will do with it yet!

Andy

Nothing else to add except new 1979 and my photo taken as a mobile home in June 96.