I believe they had Peugeot engines though, not the trusty but relatively noisey Perkins prima

I love the prima it was one of the sounds of 80s Britain and super economical

The van we're talking about here would have been a Prima diesel, the PSA engine didn't arrive until 1992/3. Whilst it was a tad more refined than the Prima, it was no more powerful and woefully underpowered for that particular job, 64 or later 70bhp. Top speed was little more than 70 and hill climbing ability was usually linked to prayer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting bus in the background which appears to be in BR colours https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/40316305324/in/photostream/

Paul

Certainly is BR Paul. But what it is has me stumped at present. Possibly a Leyland PS1, but the radiator is not clear enough to make out.

It looks like none of the buses in my collection

• Like 2

post-5683-0-06005600-1522478664.jpgInteresting bus in the background which appears to be in BR colours https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/40316305324/in/photostream/

Paul

Here is an enlarged extract from the original scan. I seem to remember when I was a kid that the United Automobile Services buses were painted in this livery but memory (especially these days!) isn't so reliable.

Ernie

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here is an enlarged extract from the original scan. I seem to remember when I was a kid that the United Automobile Services buses were painted in this livery but memory (especially these days!) isn't so reliable.

Erattachicon.gif017 Barnard Castle station 16-06-63 (John Boyes) 002 extract.jpgnie

Ernie

There is what looks like it could be a British Railways totem front centre of roof. It is also now apparent that it is a Leyland with a pre 1935 radiator, probably a TS5 or earlier, unfortunately the registration just below the windscreen is not readable. The body which may possibly be later than the chassis looks as if it might be built by Roe as it appears to have the raised waistrail which was a distinctive feature of that bodybuilder.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Austin A55 van to estate conversion (  for BR ?)

New one to me , see-

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=1133775

I think the estate version was a factory production rather than a conversion. There were a lot around. 

B Rs car fleet was usually black or a factory standard colour, without markings. The give away being in the registration batches. The LMR had the whole WRO series. This is one of only 2 A55 estates I have come across (the other being in post 1963 green livery), although I have seen one of the previous A40 van/estates in black at Aylesbury.

post-1625-0-53017500-1523869932_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice conversion on ice cream van .

Going back to the  Austin A55 / A50 signals van , IMCDB comments reckon it is a  Martin  Walter Utilecon  conversion and I tend to agree .

post-3430-0-19455300-1523948438.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c

Nice conversion on ice cream van .

Going back to the  Austin A55 / A50 signals van , IMCDB comments reckon it is a  Martin  Walter Utilecon  conversion and I tend to agree .

B R were a big customer of Martin Walter, they had hundreds of Bedford CA conversions as Utilicon and Workobus types.

• Like 2