Certainly a very transitional time.

How long did the Freightlifters last in service?

The one shown at Pen Mill was in service in 1974 - I doubt that it lasted all that much longer. I'll ask my dad if he can remember, but I suspect that they went about the time RCH type containers ceased to be used.

Adam

Definitely re-bar; you can see the helical ridges on the surface.

For all that people used to knock BR for being slow to adapt, and unresponsive to change, they seemed very capable at setting up terminals like this to deal with materials for major projects. Into the 1970s, they would set up temporary cement terminals at locations such as Hexham, Haverfordwest and Llandovery in conjunction with major projects; the Presflo was a boon, needing only a compressor for discharging the tanks. 

Hope this picture of the Freightlifter has not already appeared on here, anyone know which Western Region Depots had these, I wonder if this was the furthest west they got?

[/url]Bridgwater Goods Yard April 1959 by norman finnimore, on Flickr">http://13435233485_7e56048e27_h.jpgBridgwater Goods Yard April 1959 by norman finnimore, on Flickr

FT925 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

FT938 W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

FT943 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

c-8/59     FT944 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

B R Illustrated Mar 98/ B R Magazine Aug.59. Old Hill

FT945 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Transport Age

1958/9   VXR331 FT979 D W     Ch/cr.  Yellow       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Barnstaple

1958/9   VXR341                 S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Hereford

VXR344 FTxxx D       Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Llantwit Vadre

FT996 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

FTxxx D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Birmingham Moor St.

Bridgewater

c-1959     FTxxx D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

B R Mag. Aug.59, Handsworth & Smethwick

c-1959     FTxxx D W     Choc./cream       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

South Lambeth

The one shown at Pen Mill was in service in 1974 - I doubt that it lasted all that much longer. I'll ask my dad if he can remember, but I suspect that they went about the time RCH type containers ceased to be used.

Adam

I have mentioned elsewhere my regret at not taking a photo of the Freightlifter at Pen Mill when I saw it lifting a container in Sept. 1976 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e6aa3b33c

Paul

• Like 2

FT925 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

FT938 W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

FT943 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

c-8/59     FT944 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

B R Illustrated Mar 98/ B R Magazine Aug.59. Old Hill

FT945 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Transport Age

1958/9   VXR331 FT979 D W     Ch/cr.  Yellow       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Barnstaple

1958/9   VXR341                 S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Hereford

VXR344 FTxxx D       Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Llantwit Vadre

FT996 D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

Birmingham Moor St.

Bridgewater

c-1959     FTxxx D W     Choc./cream ?       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

B R Mag. Aug.59, Handsworth & Smethwick

c-1959     FTxxx D W     Choc./cream       S & D Freightlifter 100 dualdrive   Forklift    

South Lambeth

Please excuse my ignorance, is this a complete list of the BR (Western Region?) owned Freightlifter 100s, were there others on other regions? I guess they were also used by other industries.

Please excuse my ignorance, is this a complete list of the BR (Western Region?) owned Freightlifter 100s, were there others on other regions? I guess they were also used by other industries.

The design was used by other industries, though only the BR ones had two cabs; I believe the largest user was the London Brick Company. 

• RMweb Gold

The WR had 51 Freightlifters in their road crane fleet according to the November 1966 Road Mobile Crane diagram book and they would have been found at all depots needing modern cranage plus some were - I recall from back then - allocated as Divisional stock and could therefore be sent to any particular jobs.  

They were extremely versatile machines with a variety of lifting fitments - two different sizes of forks (5'6" and 7' 6"), the box jib attachment (seen in the Bridgwater picture),  plus a container attachment.  In the Bridgwater picture the box jib hook appears to be set in position C which would allow a lift of 5 tons according to the diagram book.

No, this is just my list of known (to me) dualdrives in Western Region. The L M and Southern had some. Anybody with more information, I would appreciate to see it.

Thanks Mike, just another 38 to find.

The design was used by other industries, though only the BR ones had two cabs; I believe the largest user was the London Brick Company. 

BRS also had dual-drives.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Mention of BR magazines by Merfyn in his list of known Frightlifters sent me to search through my own collection, this is what I came up with.

[/url]">http://DSC_0126_zpsfkfhprte.jpg

[/url]">http://DSC_0124_zpsqsq7blou.jpg

[/url]">http://DSC_0123_zpslw8uhosr.jpg

and a closer up of the first picture, not wonderful quality I'm afraid, so unable to read numbers.

[/url]">http://DSC_0125_zpsh5swnjew.jpg

Also back in 2011 on page 22 of this thread, scroll down to post #534

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/920-railway-motors/page-22

And an interesting little story here of how the 2 cabs came about, scroll down to the text under the picture of the BR Freightlifter (near the bottom).

http://www.shelvoke-drewry.co.uk/Models.html

• Like 2

There was one of these Freightlifters based in Bristol at Pyle Hill goods depot.

When the gantry at Temple Meads cartage yard was out of use, being serviced or repaired,the Freightlifter would be sent over.

A Iron Fairy was then in use at Pyle hill while it was away.

Keith.

Here's the Barnstaple Freightlifter in yellow.

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/north_devon_line_okehampton_web_optimised/73%20Chacters.html

Not sure what is happening in this picture, looks like some sort of crane jib attachment

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/north_devon_line_okehampton_web_optimised/252%20Full%20Loads%20office%20and%20Freightlifter%20Barnstaple.html.

Edited by bubbles2

What you're looking at is the Coles Crane, partially obscured by the Freightlifter. If you look carefully, you'll see part of the crane body to the left of the Freightlifter's mast.

Freightlifters did have a 'crane' attachment; a pair of forklift tines with a hook fixed to them.

• RMweb Gold

What you're looking at is the Coles Crane, partially obscured by the Freightlifter. If you look carefully, you'll see part of the crane body to the left of the Freightlifter's mast.

Freightlifters did have a 'crane' attachment; a pair of forklift tines with a hook fixed to them.

The latter being the box jib as seen in the earlier pic at Bridgwater and the machinery consignment picture at Maidenhead.  The other picture in the staff magazine shows - obviously - the container lifting attachment (simply a spreader - also seen in the first Barnstaple picture) while in the second of the two Barnstaple pics the Freightlifter has forks fitted.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A recent conversion from an Oxford curtain side van. DAF LF cab from RTI and shortened body. This has produced a vehicle owned by DHL in Network Rail livery, as used on the contract to distribute parts to rail depots around the country. These appear to have replaced the previous MAN dropsides that were used.

post-1625-0-19480800-1477483286_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-74803700-1477483304_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the subject slightly, i found this dodge commando chasis cab for sale on ebay. 

Hopefully Merfyn may be able to shed some light on it, but the reg number is D804 PHR, now, given that my white roadrunner crewbus is D336 PHR, is there a chance this is an ex BR motor? It looks tidy as well. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322311661300

Andy

Andy, I cannot be certain, but I have records of B R having registrations D239-371PHR, but this may be one not known about. No sign of yellow paint to be seen. Wheelbase for the Dodge crew vans was about 12' so maybe this shorter wheelbase could have been a tipper.

Think maybe registration is just a coincidence ?

Andy, I cannot be certain, but I have records of B R having registrations D239-371PHR, but this may be one not known about. No sign of yellow paint to be seen. Wheelbase for the Dodge crew vans was about 12' so maybe this shorter wheelbase could have been a tipper.

Think maybe registration is just a coincidence ?

Thank you merfyn, thats useful, but as you say, given the lack of yellow paint anywhere, may well be a coincidence. I may consider it as a spares donor, as it runs and drives......and isnt too far away.

Andy

• 1 month later...

I have found this 1991 roadrunner on ebay, a SWB crew bus, looks in good nick, but full of freezers??? H641 UUB is the reg, its tempting.....#

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/leyland-daf-roadrunner-/182379312383?hash=item2a76a774ff:g:ryYAAOSwEzxYRmPV

Found a photo on the net of it at Glastonbury with a trailer in tow. Looks in good order and should be OK in muddy conditions.

Go for it, you know you want to.

Merf.

• 3 weeks later...

The second Oxford Freightlifter arrived the other day in crimson livery, very nice too but !  Registration was from one of those without a second cab ?

Do I renumber it or ----------

post-1625-0-32057600-1482586340_thumb.jpg

attachment=788448:LLW748 .JPG]

The second cab comes off easily, just a bit of glue holding it. Beneath is the steering wheel and seat, just unclips. If you unscrew the engine cover and remove it the wheel arch can have the moulding that the seat fits on filed/sawn away and a bit of filler added. Paint the wheel arch and refit the engine cover. (simples !)

So now a second crimson Dualdrive can be done as a LMR one

post-1625-0-96211000-1482586962_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-43640000-1482586347_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...