Lenz Start Set 90 - To good to be true?

topsy11

Hello.

I've been looking at a Lenz DCC controller the last few days and this one has popped up on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181478534473?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It says its from a proper shop, brand new and £110 cheaper than I can find from any shops online. On looking through the sellers feedback he hasn't sold anything too expensive?

Am I missing anything??

Thanks

Mark

Bear in mind that it is not updated to the current spec (v3.6), so they probably want to clear it out rather than bothering to go through the hassle of having it updated.

My first Lenz Set 100 was a fair bit cheaper than that - it was the demo system from a store that was no longer carrying Lenz.

Adrian

Costs around £40+ to update to 3.6 though.  The fact that this unit is not at 3.6 today means it's quite old stock.

OH - are they charging for the update now? I had mine done at a Warley show a year or three ago and they did it during the day gratis.

• RMweb Gold

Since I posted here this thread has come to light elsewhere http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3743-Modelshop-Belfast?p=58840#post58840

I dont think you should get alarmed just yet, but it's worth closely monitoring your purchase if you go down this road. I can only apologise for bigging them up to you. 

Many thanks, I didn't pull the plug in the end although it did look quite a good offer.

I spoke to A&H models on the phone and the upgrade to 3.6 would be free although I'd have to pay for an insured courier both ways and be without the unit for a few days.

Plus I really want the 100 rather than the 90 so by the time I've purchased the 100 controller I'd be close to buying a brand new 100 in the first place, plus as someone else said earlier, it makes you wonder how old it is if its still on 3.5.

I'm leaning towards a powercab again now haha!  :no:

Many thanks, I didn't pull the plug in the end although it did look quite a good offer.

I spoke to A&H models on the phone and the upgrade to 3.6 would be free although I'd have to pay for an insured courier both ways and be without the unit for a few days.

Plus I really want the 100 rather than the 90 so by the time I've purchased the 100 controller I'd be close to buying a brand new 100 in the first place, plus as someone else said earlier, it makes you wonder how old it is if its still on 3.5.

I'm leaning towards a powercab again now haha!  :no:

Both my Lenz Set 100s started out at versions before 3.6 and have been upgraded. They are still completely bulletproof, as are the (even older) bits of Atlasmaster (rebadged Lenz Compact & LH30) kit. I wouldn't be too worried about it being old.

Adrian

• 1 year later...

The LH90 is no longer listed on the Lenz website, having been replaced by the LH01. The manual with my LH90 is dated 2008 even though it is v3.6 software so it is very old.

I have also been told unofficially that it is no longer possible to get a replacement unit if it needs repair and spare parts are limited.

Tony

The LH90 is no longer listed on the Lenz website, having been replaced by the LH01. The manual with my LH90 is dated 2008 even though it is v3.6 software so it is very old.

I have also been told unofficially that it is no longer possible to get a replacement unit if it needs repair and spare parts are limited.

Tony

Well they had one and it looked new to me, there last one!!

Archived