56XX- early GWR livery?

I am due to be exhibiting my layout in April and I'm doing a 1920s GWR layout. 

However, I am currently short of locos in the correct livery (too many BR) so I need to try and put new liveries on some of them. I have a 56XX (6606- built 1927) and I'd like to put it into a 'Great Western' Lettering livery. Is it possible to to do the livery with the 1906-1934 badge between the 'Great' and the 'Western'?

Thanks, 

Andrew

However, I am currently short of locos in the correct livery (too many BR) so I need to try and put new liveries on some of them. I have a 56XX (6606- built 1927) and I'd like to put it into a 'Great Western' Lettering livery. Is it possible to to do the livery with the 1906-1934 badge between the 'Great' and the 'Western'?

In short.  No.  The crest between the words was only used on lined tender engines.

In short.  No.  The crest between the words was only used on lined tender engines.

Quite right for Andrew's 1920s period, but don't forget that it was used on many tanks between 1906 and WWI, e.g. 3150s, County tanks (in both green and Lake liveries, and early saddle to pannier conversions.

Nick

In their earlier 'GREAT   WESTERN' days, they would not have had cab shutters, though it is not impossible for them to have been fitted later on ('30s) either before 1934 (shirt button) or without undergoing a repaint. There are pictures of 6631 in Russell in this condition. (Supposed taken in 1930, but I understood shutters were first fitted to the 61xx in 1931?)

Shutters were first fitted to 56XXs in 1930 and the process continued threoughout the thirties. All but the last fifty initially had tall safety valve bonnets. The bunker recess is also a problem for early years as this modification did not begin until 1934.

Nick

Would a 45xx have had top feed in that livery?

I assume you're referring to Robin's picture of Malcolm Mitchell's 4508, Don? The gwr.org photo caption says "early 1913 condition", so it's quite possible that the engine had recently had a major orverhaul incorporating many changes from her original form by that date. Top feeds had been introduced on new builds by then, so it is quite likely that it would have been fitted with a new boiler. Other early builds probably acquired top feeds when superheated over the next few years. Certainly, the current productions had top feed with this livery in 1913.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

According to RCTS:

All built 1924-8

Copper capped chimneys from new "Great Western" on tank sides

Tall bonnets on 5600-99 and 6600-49 shorter on the rest from new, however interchanges between the different members later on.

Cab shutters fitted to all from 1930 - most done by 1934.

Lamp recess on bunker started to be fitted from 1934, weatherboards started to be fitted as well before all had been recessed - earlier engines brought into line.

Keith

Archived