Does anyone run Dublo 3 rail on Peco track?

detheridge

Hi folks,

Seeing the discussions on the problems of finding mint/usable Dublo 3 rail track leads me to the following questions:

I've read somewhere that one 3 rail fan runs his collection on Peco code 100 track with a 3rd rail added. Has anyone here tried this, are there any problems to work through, and how easy is it to lay the third rail configuration on points?

Many thanks in advance,

David.

I think one of the problems would be points,you`d have to make sure that the  point blade was electrically dead as the collector shoes would cause a short circuit.I suppose,thinking about it,you could use Insulfrog points.Dublo switch blades were completely insulated from the rest of the point bing mounted on Paxolin!.

Ray.

Peco advertise third rail and chairs in most issues of "Railway Modeller".  In the current issue it is on page 54a.

The conductor rail is code 60, part number IL-1, and the chairs are part number IL-120.  The chairs are supplied with a spacer which is not required for centre rail.

Peco advertise third rail and chairs in most issues of "Railway Modeller".  In the current issue it is on page 54a.

The conductor rail is code 60, part number IL-1, and the chairs are part number IL-120.  The chairs are supplied with a spacer which is not required for centre rail.

I believe these are for outside third raised conductor rail which might present problems, when used with the Dublo all level system.

It is the closure rail, not the blades that present the short circuit problem, but Peco Insulfrog points should be OK on this score, though it will be essential to prevent reverse feeds into the pointwork (or cut the links across the frog, but this will cause problems using it for 2 rail).

There's no problem finding usable Dublo track here in Essex - toyfairs always have some on sale - 25p a piece at the last one I attended. It wasn't mint, of course, but quite usable and even damaged track can provide conductor rail for conversions of 2 rail track using PCB sleepers.

The Dublo sintered iron wheels have an awful square profile, which, while passable on Dublo's round head rail, is not 100% happy on the square head of 'scale' rail. (In my experience anyway.)

I don't think the Peco third rail for Dublo (or even the stud contact strip for Märklin) is still available - it is rather a long time since it became obsolete.

If I remember rightly, the centre rail was a fraction higher than the outer rails, which would help keep the pick up shoes from shorting over pointwork.

You could probably get away with glueing the centre rail too the sleepers.

They were all level conductor rails,the point closure rails were fully insulated from the metal track base on a paxolin insulator.The 0-6-2 tank had a slight design problem in that if the pick ups were not aligned exactly along the centre line,they would short out on the die cast frog.If Meccano had moved the collector back by 2-3 mm,this would have cured the problem.

Cheers,Ray.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was looking at my collection of "Peco Streamline through the Ages" and I see that they no longer provide that little recess under the sleepers that takes the contact strip.

• 5 months later...

Hi again folks,

I've found the answer to my question on Youtube, and the modeller in question using Peco track is Garry Hall.

Here's what he replied to my query:

Hello David, Thanks, all the plain track is Peco set track cut as required like the flexible ones. This was used as it had a "solid" plastic base to which C/L chairs can be glued to it. The nylon used for Streamline cannot be glued and even Peco will tell you that. The points are Peco Streamline as they have the "solid" plastic in their construction and done exactly the same way. Live frog points are used with a cut through the switch rails near the frog the the centre rail added as the rest, C/L chairs and rail. Garry

You can see the results here:

and here, where you can see his work on points and crossings:

Best wishes,

David.

I converted a Peco 2 rail point to a 3 rail one, quite easy other than where the central pickup goes over the switch rails.

I used Peco code 100 flatbottom rail. Evostik Serious glue will stick nickelsilver rail to Peco track as will Evostik contact adhesive. On the other hand you could use the odd copperclad sleeper suitably isolated from the stock rails

The Peco 3 rd and 4 th rails are for cosmetic purposes rather than use for current pick up (if not already been said) though some enterprising persons may have electrified it

Archived