Gareth's Workbench: P4 and 2mmFS projects

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure I did find a good photo of a D32 or D33 covered goods wagon in the two-tone livery but I'm blowed if I can find it now. Anyway, I made the same choices:

1320909451_LNWD1D2D32Mousawheeled.JPG.8506b7f6379c5526f8ad198a5e79c673.JPG

So we can't both be wrong?

These are the pictures I was working from, all also in your thread.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwra3641.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwra3633.htm

05E63ED9-FAF4-4FF1-9E40-4279D1E9B832.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

With the Broad gauge Buffalo essentially finished, aside from paint, its time to find a new project. The paint will have to wait for warmer weather. After about five years of procrastination I decided it was time to tackle the outside cylinders on the Park Tank. I had initially procrastinated over the lack of clearance between the piston and the front crankpin. I replaced the front crankpin bush with a little bit of brass tube, and turned the crank pin nut around so that it would sit as flush as possible. But this wasn't enough. The kit comes with two cylinder options, an OO/EM one and a P4 one. The P4 ones are shorter, so that the overall width stays correct. In theory. In practice I decided to use the OO cylinders and even with them there is barely clearance between the rods and the piston. 

spacer.png
spacer.png

I have also decided against the printed boiler and smokebox and set about making them from 0.020" nickel silver. The front and back were sweated together and fretted out. Then I cut a strip of nickel silver the width of the smokebox minus the front and back. When cut to the correct width it was attached to one of the ends. Then a vertical piece was attached, then the other end.

spacer.png

I cut a strip of 0.010" brass the width of the smokebox, plus a little just for safety. This has been rolled to shape and will be trimmed to length once it has been attached to the smokebox.

spacer.png

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 5