Greek Tales in 0 gauge

0_gauge_novice

Hi too all,

I think now it is time to start my own topic in the 7mm group. As some have already read in my benchwork topic (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76234-0-gauge-novices-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=1161405) I do model Greek prototype mostly in HO scale but last year I got into 0 gauge aswell. Here I wil present my 0 gauge projects exclusively and some rolling stock as they develop because I am in the start. Plans for a layout are in the back of my mind but it will be at least another year before I will start anything as in the begining of 2015 I will have to move and until I have found a new home and I know how it looks like, no plans are made....

On the contrary of HO scale, I concentrate my 0 gauge effort only in the 1950s and 1960s the the state company SEK (Sidirodromoi Ellinikou Kratous) dominated the stanadard gauge lines and was the predecesor of the company today OSE.

In the past 16 Months that I been in 0 gauge I gathered a couple of models from different manufactures....Lenz, Elletren, Agenoria, Roxey, Connoiseur, Benoit Semblatt. There are more in the pipeline but I will have to wait in order to build something first and convert my rolling stock before I buy more....but....sometimes I buy when I can because you never know. I still dont have children but I lack a little bit the time (hopefully this will change in January when I hand in my Bl"§$§%!§ thesis) and in the evenings and weekends I can just enjoy myself.

I will post some pictures due course from projects and rolling stock, but please be patient.....

My first piece of rolling stock is an Elletren Fleche dór Pullman coach of the CIWL. I don´t know if you know Elletren but it is the only source of CIWL coaches. They are quite expensive and not exactly to modern standard but they are accurate with full interior and complety out of metal. I got last summer 2 Elletren coaches (this and an Lx Sleeper) at a bargain from an auction house in Germany and this one will be converted to ΟΕφπτ1002 of SEK which was actually CIWL 4004....the model recreates CIWL 4005, which was from the same series. The original 4004 was built by Smethwick in Birmingham in 1926 as an 1st Class Pullman and came orinally to the Fleche dór route (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Arrow_%28train%29). The coach was bought in 1966 by the SEK. An interesting topic on CIWL coaches in Greece can be found here (http://balkanmodels.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27).

I will have to repaint in in Blue and make decals and etched plates for it. I think 2015 or 2016 it will be started.....

post-20206-0-59657100-1416084594.jpg

post-20206-0-98282400-1416084679.jpg

EDIT: This is how the Pullman car will look like after the repainting and new lettering. Picture from the book of Dr. Fritz Stöckl & Claude Jeanmaire, Comfort on Rails, Verlag Eisenbahn, Basel Switzerland, 1970

post-20206-0-17053600-1416143823.jpg

More photos in the following days.

Cheers

Andreas

Morning,

I will continue today with what currently occupies my workbench. I do not have the patience now to work on the Agenoria MW because it needs time. A few weeks ago I got a bunch of wagons from Connoiseur kits that I intend to build as Greek freelance wagons (Bolster and Lowfits). I know that in 1933 about 13 such "similar" bolster wagons were in use that had similar dimensions and a plank on the side....no photographs exist so I will use these ones and adapt them. I know that these BRs are more modern but....instead of using disc wheels I use double spoke wheels from Slaters to give them a more vintage look. Moreover the W irons are correct for older freight wagons in continental Europe as such types were used before 1940. In between writing and correcting my thesis I started to build the first one. It relaxes and clears my brains..... :sungum: The kit goes well together with not much fettling and gives a nice picture. I will continue today with the bolster and the next few days with the buffers and couplings. When I finish this I will make a lowfit and after that its twin brother.... :sungum: Decals for all these wagons will be designed after I finish with the corrections of my work and send for printing.... :mail:

Hope you like it...

post-20206-0-08630700-1416142509.jpg

Cheers

Andreas

Morning,

I will continue today with what currently occupies my workbench. I do not have the patience now to work on the Agenoria MW because it needs time. A few weeks ago I got a bunch of wagons from Connoiseur kits that I intend to build as Greek freelance wagons (Bolster and Lowfits). I know that in 1933 about 13 such "similar" bolster wagons were in use that had similar dimensions and a plank on the side....no photographs exist so I will use these ones and adapt them. I know that these BRs are more modern but....instead of using disc wheels I use double spoke wheels from Slaters to give them a more vintage look. Moreover the W irons are correct for older freight wagons in continental Europe as such types were used before 1940. In between writing and correcting my thesis I started to build the first one. It relaxes and clears my brains..... :sungum: The kit goes well together with not much fettling and gives a nice picture. I will continue today with the bolster and the next few days with the buffers and couplings. When I finish this I will make a lowfit and after that its twin brother.... :sungum: Decals for all these wagons will be designed after I finish with the corrections of my work and send for printing.... :mail:

Hope you like it...

attachicon.gifbolster1.jpg

Cheers

Andreas

Nice clean work Andreas,

I  agree with you regarding Jim's kits ( Connoiseur ) they are a joy to build :imsohappy:.

It will be interesting to see the S-100 build, it looks like you will have to build the loco rigid as there would be a lot of work to spring the drivers. But it is good to see what other kits are available in mainland Europe.

Keep up the good work,

Martyn.

Hi Steve and Martyn,

Steve at Railtec models is a good source of bespoke water slide transfers if your looking at that option.

I have been printing my decals for a number of years now in Germany. In the begining at Rupert Kreye but he died a couple of years back and the shop closed. I do it now at Andreas Nothaft and he has excellent quality, prices and service

http://www.andreas-nothaft.de/

It will be interesting to see the S-100 build, it looks like you will have to build the loco rigid as there would be a lot of work to spring the drivers. But it is good to see what other kits are available in mainland Europe.

I know...thats what I thought too but it is the only kit available at the moment and they had a sale so I had to have it. What surprised me is that the kit only has 1 etch plate with 6-7 etched parts. The majority is cast brass (I would estimate about 200),  and some milled brass for the footplate, cab, boiler etc. Interesting approach. By the way...the kit is 1:43,5 scale. I will post pictures from the kit. Building will start in early 2015.

Here is the link of the kit supplier.

http://benoit.semblat.free.fr/loco030tu.html

Cheers

Andreas

Hi everybody,

I think there might be some interest in the S-100 kit so I will quickly present its contents.

post-20206-0-91699200-1416246675.jpg

The instructions in French, somehow plain but with good illustriations of the castings and parts....about 30 pages.

post-20206-0-45881900-1416246692.jpg

The wheels in cast brass with steel tires, motor and gearbox along with the axles and the small parts.

post-20206-0-49856900-1416246685.jpg

The cast frame shown yesterday. All the holes have been drilled so no more work to be done there.

post-20206-0-53929900-1416246661.jpg

The castings of the kit...a whole lot....

post-20206-0-65753400-1416246668.jpg

The footplate, lenghts of brass rod and the only etched plate of the whole kit....not many etches pieces...

post-20206-0-47296400-1416246653.jpg

The cab assembly, smokebox and cylinder....all milled brass.

post-20206-0-65048600-1416246647.jpg

finally the boiler....also milled brass. All the rivets have been punched.

I will start the build after the Agenoria MW.

Cheers

Andreas

Hi Steve,

Greeks never had 8Fs. The Turks yes.What I do not know is if the were used in border crossings.I have seen a lot of pictures but none with an 8F in Greek territory. I will check were they were stationed. If they were in Alpulu then probably yes.

I kno what you are thinking. ..MOK 8F...I drool but it will have to wait. I have on the list a lochgorm yankee tank, a Y class sleeper from Elletren and some goods wagons from Lenz and Brawa....and the S-160 in double (one coal one fuel burner)

Cheers

Andreas

Sounds good mate, what's the setting for the layout?

Hi Steve,

I already have a layout in HO, which is on the border, with Turkey. It is called Pythion and it is a real station in, which also in the early days (until the 1930s Orient Express was making a halt. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythio

Certainly a layout with a border station is really intersting as you can have interesting compositions and more shunting and loco changes....hence I play with the idea of a turkish 8F! Though the ideas for an 0 gauge layout are still in the mind and not on paper yet as some changes are scheduled for the near future and I also need to build some rolling stock first!

Cheers

Andreas

• 1 month later...

Well,

the first bolster wagon in finished (the assembly only :jester: )

post-20206-0-71664700-1419244974.jpg

Now I need to blacken the wheels (I know its after assembly but I got the blackening stuff only last week.... :angel: ), blacken the couplings, do some cleaning up, file some of the rods slightly and paint the wagon. I havent decided yet what colour....we will see....I need to consult some photographs on painting greek wagons.

I wish everybody Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!!!!!! Tommorow off to holidays!!!!!

Cheers

Andreas

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all,

following the discussion in this topic,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90707-open-wagons-question-from-a-novice-in-british-prototype/

I got all the necessary stuff to build this wagon. I intend to built 3 of them. I got the 7 plank Charles Roberts from Slaters (7040), the interior detailing kit from MMP and I had a set of sprung RCH W Irons from Bill Bedford (I have ordered two sets more for the other two wagons). I had in the beggining some headscratching about the assembly but some testing and the topic of the Purple Primer helped a lot.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81374-finished-first-kit-slaters-wagon-7mm/

First the contents of the kit and the extra stuff.

post-20206-0-45363900-1421220657.jpg

Then I pressed all the rivets of the internal detailing out using the Metasmith riveting tool.

post-20206-0-52254000-1421220667.jpg

I blackened wheels, couplers and buffers with birchwood casey products and assembled them to the wagon ends. This was not clear to me by looking at the descructions (as 2manySpams says) if the lungs as the wagons ends need to be trimmed so that the long sides fit flush. I do not know if this is correct but I did it after some tests and I am pleased with the result. Now only the lungs of the long sides are prodruding slightly but I will seal the line by sanpapering and putty if needed. I will take a picture and explain what I mean if it is not clear.

post-20206-0-22392500-1421220673.jpg

I glued the etched brass floor to the slaters floor and started to attach the wagons ends. For gluing the plastic part I use MEK.

post-20206-0-99305800-1421220677.jpg

I glued the the long sides of the wagon, which fitted very flush with the ends.

post-20206-0-84908100-1421220682.jpg

I did the mistake in the begining in gluing the inner detail of the sides before gluing the wagon together...I wont do that again. Nothing got damaged and I will fit them tonight or tommorow.

Cheers

Andreas

• 3 weeks later...

I am here again,

I finished the first of the three CR 7 plankers from Slaters with the interior details from MMP and sprung W irons from Bill Bedford. The other two will be built together and I already know the procedure so it will be faster. A minor modification was the steel wire for the springing supplied with the etch was too weak. I got some different guitar wires and settled for the 0.36mm which gave a very good springing effect. The bearing casings are fixed attached to the W iron and are the ones supplied in the kit. I milled the inside so that the bearings can move freely up an down. I opted for this solution because the springs cannot move so with a gap there that would look silly. The springs were cut out from the W irons supplied in the kit and thinned down to look correct.

I hope you like it. I will now go to the painting qeue but this will take some time because in 7 weeks I will move so I will just do some assembly jobs until then and besides that in Zurich it is really cold and snowing with some interuptions.

post-20206-0-95614500-1422619180.jpg

post-20206-0-47632800-1422619187.jpg

post-20206-0-36376500-1422619197.jpg

Cheers

Andreas

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve,

I am doing quite a bit of modelling but currently I am pushing some HO projects. In between I had a lot of travelling from work and a house move so many stuff are still packed. The Manning Wardle though will restart soon as I have it more or less in front of my WB.

You have my like on the S160. I want 2!!!!! I won't be able to join the group though as I have deleted my FB account for about a year now. Good to see that it is progressing!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived