mark 1 early BR liveries

paulbb

The latest mark1's from Bachmann show a distinct change from earlier models.

On the right is 39-127E that has just been released. The left hand model is 39-227 from

around 2009.Colours  very different and  notice too the complete absence of roof ribbing!

not sure which is correct?

post-7331-0-10435500-1416323442_thumb.jpg

Colours changed over time either through the effects of sunlight and other elements or through variations in paint mixtures. As for the roof ribs, I believe Bachmann came into a lot of stick here and elsewhere over the size. In practice the roof ribs are very slight on the real thing, too slight to model realistically in OO gauge so Bachmann probably decided to do away with them altogether. This was the general recommendation from those posting here.

• RMweb Premium

The latest Mk1 CK in Blue/Grey is also rib-less whereas the previous version had them. I read somewhere recently someone from Bachmann saying that the tooling for some of their Mk1s was already life expired. Presumably they've done away with the ribs in the process of re-tooling. There should be very fine ribbing, but for some reason Bachmann couldn't make them fine enough to look ok. Funnily enough, Hornby's 1960s Mk1s were much better in this respect.

Colours changed over time either through the effects of sunlight and other elements or through variations in paint mixtures. As for the roof ribs, I believe Bachmann came into a lot of stick here and elsewhere over the size. In practice the roof ribs are very slight on the real thing, too slight to model realistically in OO gauge so Bachmann probably decided to do away with them altogether. This was the general recommendation from those posting here.

Pity they can't do the same for the equivalent coaches in 'N' scale. I'm looking at a Farish CK and the ribs on the roof are a scale 2-3" high...

• RMweb Premium

Allowing for variations maybe caused by lighting and camera settings, I think the right hand coach looks a lot more like I would expect the red / cream livery to look - I think the red they've used in the past for this livery has been too dark.

These are revisions leading to an improved product.

Deletion of the roof ribs was a fair time coming but very welcome. (Too late for me, I am all scraped down and repainted now!)

One cannot truly judge the colour rendition on screen, but the move to lighter shades seems a good plan to me. Some of their earlier product the red was nearly as dark as their pretty accurate rendering of maroon. Both memory and photos showing vehicles in the first two BR liveries side by side in the same shot insist on the earlier livery red being much lighter, and also very variable; whereas the maroon maintained fair consistency.

These are revisions leading to an improved product.

Deletion of the roof ribs was a fair time coming but very welcome. (Too late for me, I am all scraped down and repainted now!)

One cannot truly judge the colour rendition on screen, but the move to lighter shades seems a good plan to me. Some of their earlier product the red was nearly as dark as their pretty accurate rendering of maroon. Both memory and photos showing vehicles in the first two BR liveries side by side in the same shot insist on the earlier livery red being much lighter, and also very variable; whereas the maroon maintained fair consistency.

i agree that the crimson was too dark but surely now these colours will be too different to existing rakes of mk1's and what of the portholes and for that matter the thompson's when released? That's what I find frustrating. I agree the colour rendition as presented is probably more correct than in the past. I'm pitching for making things consistent. within shades.

I have just noticed in the picture above , that the band of crimson just below the roof is noticeably wider than the earlier version. Did this vary too?

I know that it was wider on the ex-LMS staniers, but it seems too wide on the mark 1's though. I agree with Chris Leigh though that using preserved

coaches as a guide is not always pertinent to how they looked in BR service.

• RMweb Gold

Spoken to Bachmann on this :

Apparently the CK is their weathered version of Crimson Cream. On that basis I applaud it.

Hi. In the current catalogue it states the CK has been through the 'coach wash'. I quite like the weathered effect on this model.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

The colour photos in various books I have show that crimson and cream colours were very variable so a train doesn't have a consistent colour. (The colours semi to wash out very quickly...which may be one of the reasons to go to Maroon).

The book on Mark 1 coaches by Mr Park in has a lovely colour photo of a blood and custard ck showing aging.. Very similar to the Bachmann colours.

Getting rid of the roof ribs is excellent as you can't really see them in real life.

Baz

Archived