West Sleekburn Junction Derailment, 6E10, Nov 17th

The line the derailed wagons came from is the one towards Cambois and North Blyth, presumably? Does this mean there is no access to the coal and alumina terminals until the mess is cleared up, or is there still the possibity of using the Newbiggin branch to Butterwell?

p.s. what's John Peel doing next to the 37?

I agree with your assumption. The derailed wagons are blocking the 'branch' to/from Cambois and North Blyth. There is no other access to the coal and alumina terminals, other than the line from Lynemouth Power Station.

There isn't a branch from Newbiggin to Butterwell. I presume you mean the line used by trains from the north which access the Blyth & Tyne at Morpeth(ECML).

eg Alcan alumina trains. After reversing at Newsham these trains also have to use the same trackage where the derailment has occurred.

I hope they are able to clear the line soon.

Mal

The line the derailed wagons came from is the one towards Cambois and North Blyth, presumably? Does this mean there is no access to the coal and alumina terminals until the mess is cleared up, or is there still the possibity of using the Newbiggin branch to Butterwell?

I agree with your assumption. The derailed wagons are blocking the 'branch' to/from Cambois and North Blyth. There is no other access to the coal and alumina terminals, other than the line from Lynemouth Power Station.

There isn't a branch from Newbiggin to Butterwell. I presume you mean the line used by trains from the north which access the Blyth & Tyne at Morpeth(ECML).

eg Alcan alumina trains. After reversing at Newsham these trains also have to use the same trackage where the derailment has occurred.

I hope they are able to clear the line soon.

Mal

Unfortunately the line to Butterwell from the ECML only goes as far as the Potland Burn Open Cast near Linton Village. The remainder of the line that joined the B & T just north of Ashington station was ripped up some years ago when Ashington Signal Box was decommissioned. Had this line still been intact it could have been used as an alternative route for access to North Blyth, but until they get this mess cleared up there will be nothing moving in or out of North Blyth/Cambois for a while.

Regards

Chris

The wagon lifting operation is being done within the 'Sita' Waste Management site at West Sleekburn, whilst in the site complex I was told that the wagons are apparently to be lifted tomorrow afternoon over the site boundry fence and lowered onto low-loader type trailers to be taken away for inspection/repair.

All day long the waste site has been a hive of activity with various plant hire firms bringing in loading shovels and other plant etc as well as parts for a huge crane, I have never seen crane jib sections as big as the ones going into the waste site.

Hopefully I might be in the waste site when lifting starts and I can get some photos of the lifting operation.

Michael 

Yes I saw those as well on the A189 as I was going to the Sita site in my bin wagon, there were three wagons remaining when I got there and according to the guy on the vehicle weighbridge the other wagons are being taken out tonight

I went to Sleekburn after work but the place was strangely quiet.

Does anyone know where the wagons are being taken to?

Any one know if the HTAs are likely to be repaired or left to rot in Tyne yard? (Fairly sure there's been an HTA dumped at Washwood Heath for years). They're still a fairly modern wagon and they look relatively ok, though I appreciate there can be lots of hidden damage.

Any one know if the HTAs are likely to be repaired or left to rot in Tyne yard? (Fairly sure there's been an HTA dumped at Washwood Heath for years). They're still a fairly modern wagon and they look relatively ok, though I appreciate there can be lots of hidden damage.

Probably depends on how much use the fleet is getting at the moment, if they have lots of HTA stored they are not likely to pay out for repairs, if they are short of them then they are more likely to approve repairs...

That might sound odd - but put it in the context of overall declining coal traffic and several companies competing with DBS for the traffic since they built their big fleet of these!

Looks there might have been another derailment a few yards from where the other one took place, same line but closer to Winning crossing.

CCTV footage from SITA definitely shows wagons at a standstill.

If anyone has any updates that would be great.

Michael

Archived