Dettingen GCR might have been layout

• RMweb Premium

I think that would have been Jack Dugdale's Ortogo.  It had rabbits appearing and disappearing and at least one signalman moving levers in his box.

Edited to change most of the post.

David

Thanks.

A quick rummage on Google suggests that is it (on an old LNER forum thread).  I also remember the funicular railway which that thread mentions.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly some progress

post-23520-0-08801700-1476022107_thumb.jpg

The carriages are done! They waited for windows and transfers for ages. I needed a long period of peace to do it.

Work is quieter and the wife is away for the weekend so no distractions once the kids are in bed.

It is a mix of transfers, note to self do the press fix before the water slide next time.

That has cleared all the on going projects. What next? Like popes and monarchs I like to work on the principle of long project short project so I might detail some rtr or build a little wagon. Choices, choices.

Richard

• Like 6

Suddenly some progress

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The carriages are done! They waited for windows and transfers for ages. I needed a long period of peace to do it.

Work is quieter and the wife is away for the weekend so no distractions once the kids are in bed.

It is a mix of transfers, note to self do the press fix before the water slide next time.

That has cleared all the on going projects. What next? Like popes and monarchs I like to work on the principle of long project short project so I might detail some rtr or build a little wagon. Choices, choices.

Richard

Bravo!

Good to see

• Like 1

Suddenly some progress

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Richard

Impressive!- and I know what you mean with mixing big projects and little projects.  I tend to view my coaching stock not as individual projects but rather as each rake being a project to itself; and likewise it is nice to make a change from a project which has taken weeks to one which can be done in a couple of evenings (hence why this year much of my modelling has been rolling stock rather than locomotives). 

As ever though, the list of things to do just keeps on getting longer.   

I started with a list once i got erious and have stuck to it. Mostly

I saw how that focus had served John Quick so well in building Brackley

In fact he blew me away with how good his layout was that he converted me on the spot to pre grouping.

He has a lot to answer for! My modelling has been much moe fullfilling since and it brought an almost total release from the rtr market.

Richard

ps i still need to build two others for that rake of 4 wheelers. I am building something without windows for my sanity in the mean time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

Short project.

Looking at your latest photograph, I think a nice touch would be to give Lola (Mr Mortimore, the coal man's horse) a nose bag. If she is waiting in the yard a nose bag would give a reason for her to be static while the trains whizz by.

Lola is Mrs M's 'orse in real life.

• Like 2

Hi Richard

Short project.

Looking at your latest photograph, I think a nice touch would be to give Lola (Mr Mortimore, the coal man's horse) a nose bag. If she is waiting in the yard a nose bag would give a reason for her to be static while the trains whizz by.

Lola is Mrs M's 'orse in real life.

You might be on to something there. I will google old nose bags and see what comes up.

Now I just have the song " her name was Lola...." In my head to start the day at work.

Thanks

Richard

And the new project is....

post-23520-0-09600200-1476270768_thumb.jpg

I am stunned by the progress in two days, more to do with a quieter time at work than anything else.

Key thing here it has no glass to fit. Though the door hinges are running that a close second. It made me realise how ingenious bill's system is for hinges and carriage formers combined.

Interestingly it comes with a sheet of glazing! I genuinely cannot see where it would go. Am I missing something?

Richard

• Like 7

I started with a list once i got erious and have stuck to it. Mostly

I saw how that focus had served John Quick so well in building Brackley

In fact he blew me away with how good his layout was that he converted me on the spot to pre grouping.

He has a lot to answer for! My modelling has been much moe fullfilling since and it brought an almost total release from the rtr market.

Richard

ps i still need to build two others for that rake of 4 wheelers. I am building something without windows for my sanity in the mean time.

John Quick is an amazing modeller and he is the definition of focus. (Though he is also exceedingly modest.)  I think Brackley has taken (roughly) 25 years to build to its present state, and it now works perfectly. It believe it has figured in the S4 magazine, but it's a loss to the hobby that it's never been in any of the 'main' magazines for people to drool over. It is the sort of project that deserves to be in MRJ, probably over 2 or 3 issues. 

• Like 2

John Quick is an amazing modeller and he is the definition of focus. (Though he is also exceedingly modest.)  I think Brackley has taken (roughly) 25 years to build to its present state, and it now works perfectly. It believe it has figured in the S4 magazine, but it's a loss to the hobby that it's never been in any of the 'main' magazines for people to drool over. It is the sort of project that deserves to be in MRJ, probably over 2 or 3 issues. 

I heartily agree, a book on it would not be out of place, the detail in all the locos, carriages, wagons is just a treasure trove of information. The buildings themselves were impresive too. My regret was that i only got to see it twice before moving to the States. Is there anyone on here that can turn the hope into a reality and get it the exposure it truely deserves? I do agree John is an amazing mix of vast knowledge and incredible ability wrapped up in genuine modesty and generosity. He certainly made a profound impresion on me for the good for which i will be forever thankful.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And the new project is....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I am stunned by the progress in two days, more to do with a quieter time at work than anything else.

Key thing here it has no glass to fit. Though the door hinges are running that a close second. It made me realise how ingenious bill's system is for hinges and carriage formers combined.

Interestingly it comes with a sheet of glazing! I genuinely cannot see where it would go. Am I missing something?

Richard

Hi Richard

I have asked some ex-pupils of yours and I don't think I can repeat where they suggested where it could go, but I do have my own suggestion. In the spares box ready for the next kit that has scratched glazing.

Hi Richard

I have asked some ex-pupils of yours and I don't think I can repeat where they suggested where it could go, but I do have my own suggestion. In the spares box ready for the next kit that has scratched glazing.

That was my thought, but I would rather ask the dumb question rather than have to retro fit it once everything is complete.

I am sure there are some present ones who would think the same thing.

Richard

• Like 1

Little projects

post-23520-0-98083800-1476715448_thumb.jpg

First the signal has received its black paint for the support, can you see the difference? I doubt it as the layout is in poor light, you will have to take my word for it.

Then the milk wagon

post-23520-0-40409600-1476715552_thumb.jpg

It is only resting on its chassis at the moment. It has rain strips to apply. The roof glue is drying. I tried two part epoxy which I thought would give a little movement time, ( read a lot) and it got everywhere so once it is dry I will have to clean it up.

It does amaze my how quickly things can get done when things at work are quieter. I might finish the layout and stock if only I could retire or win the lottery.

I was trying to go back to being disciplined and only having one thing on the go, but as I have more time today free and the roof has to dry I might start on the permenant way trolley and gubins to go by their hut on the layout.

Richard

• Like 6

Little projects

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

First the signal has received its black paint for the support, can you see the difference? I doubt it as the layout is in poor light, you will have to take my word for it.

Then the milk wagon

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It is only resting on its chassis at the moment. It has rain strips to apply. The roof glue is drying. I tried two part epoxy which I thought would give a little movement time, ( read a lot) and it got everywhere so once it is dry I will have to clean it up.

It does amaze my how quickly things can get done when things at work are quieter. I might finish the layout and stock if only I could retire or win the lottery.

I was trying to go back to being disciplined and only having one thing on the go, but as I have more time today free and the roof has to dry I might start on the permenant way trolley and gubins to go by their hut on the layout.

Richard

Great work on the van, and I rather liked the shot of the layout, the distance has a certain opacity suggestive of a foggy or smokey atmosphere!  

• Like 1

Great work on the van, and I rather liked the shot of the layout, the distance has a certain opacity suggestive of a foggy or smokey atmosphere!

It is the light coming through the window. Too high for trees to block the sun and the blind is not 100% effective. Blind down in an effort to stop the layout being completely bleached out.

But I will settle for smoke clearing after the departure of the last train

Richard

• Like 2

Forgive me I have sinned.

post-23520-0-34022200-1477149074_thumb.jpg

It is great western! It is also the first park side kit I have built in a long while. It is a 1908 van. It took three hours to build! The brass GCR kits take a good three weeks at least. It went together so easily. It must make life for plastic wagon builders very expensive due to the rate of production.

The only plastic GCR wagons are the Colin ashby ones but I can not track one down for love nor money.

It also got me thinking about a transfer exchange, I hand painted the lettering on the Cambrian wagon, but for those pregrouping modellers who only need one or two of a company's transfers could we swap the left overs to save waste.

Richard

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

John Quick has been gathering information on GCR carriages for many years and a book is in the pipeline but he is not the sort of person that can be rushed.

Initially he was going to cover GCR period carriages but I spoke to him a while ago and he was trying to find information on earlier vehicles, going way, way back.

His book on Robinson GCR liveries is superb but it took him a long time and a lot of work until he had all the information he needed to go ahead and publish.

Brackley is looking very nice, It is already a superb layout. Knowing John, I think he would probably want to have it looking more "finished" before it is seen widely. At the moment, there is still much to be done.

Tony Gee

• Like 2

It's a great pity about the Colin Ashby wagons. They were a joy to build and produced a model of a very common wagon, so were extremely useful. If there was an equivalent 7mm kit I would buy about five!

You can use the Slater's 7 plank Charles Roberts and Gloucester opens as GC hired wagons with reasonable (possibly complete) fidelity; but I gather these too are not easy to get in 4mm nowadays.

I suspect sufficient ingenuity could produce some GC wagons by 'bashing' certain kits, but I wouldn't like to advise this without trying it myself first. (It's one thing to waste my money, but I don't want to be accused of wasting someone else's.)

• Like 1

It's a great pity about the Colin Ashby wagons. They were a joy to build and produced a model of a very common wagon, so were extremely useful. If there was an equivalent 7mm kit I would buy about five!

You can use the Slater's 7 plank Charles Roberts and Gloucester opens as GC hired wagons with reasonable (possibly complete) fidelity; but I gather these too are not easy to get in 4mm nowadays.

I suspect sufficient ingenuity could produce some GC wagons by 'bashing' certain kits, but I wouldn't like to advise this without trying it myself first. (It's one thing to waste my money, but I don't want to be accused of wasting someone else's.)

Thanks, I have bashed several kits in the past, the next up is a hopper wagon to give the GCR slab sided ones. More to follow once I start on that project.

Richard

And then there were three.

post-23520-0-80163900-1477247975_thumb.jpg

Speed building. But what livery for the private owner grain wagon that is appropriate for the GCR, and yes I know this has steel not wood sole bars, but once painted and moving can we tell? I do not have enough time to worry.

Richard

• Like 3